E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need info to better search for what I need/looking for.

03-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY2014 328d xDrive touring

Need info to better search for what I need/looking for.

Hi everyone,

I'm a new 2011 E91 owner, I've had the car for about a week! yay!

So far, I've managed to figure out that in order to get my iPhone to work, I had to get a "y cable" (which I got used from my regional forum on this board).

I can now say I managed to get my iPhone 4 to work and listen to music and paired up with the car's Bluetooth for the phone part

However, I've been reading around for the past week, searching and trying to understand a few things but I think the forums are confusing me a little (part of it is probably BMW's fault too!). I found that my '11 was manufactured in 06/2010 thanks to realoem.com.

What I'm trying to achieve is retrofitting a combox. I found on the forums that that's what I'm "missing", I want the apps, bluetooth music streaming and other perks that the post 09/2010 '11 E9x have.

Here's where I need help, I would like to make sense of the part names & numbers.. 6NL, 6NR, CIC, CCC it's confusing me like crazy and I can't figure out what's in my car! Which combox do I need? Is what I'm trying to do even possible, from what I've read it is but maybe I'm confused..

I have a background in avionics so DIY is no problem for me. I know how to solder and comfortable around electricity & electronics. I'm just hoping someone can set me in the right direction for my project.

Thanks & sorry for the long post.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

This should be available in Canada: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537592

If not, contact forum vendor BimmerTech.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This should be available in Canada: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537592

If not, contact forum vendor BimmerTech.
Hi, I had seen your post and bookmarked it but I was hoping to get some clarifications on what my car has and what the acronyms are. I also contacted BimmerTech already but they quoted me a turn key solution. I would rather do the work myself. They also mentionned that I would have to lose my BMW assist during the retrofit, I was also hoping to understand why.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep

Here's where your post prompted me to create mine:

"Installation instructions only valid for cars with SA 606 (Business navigation system) without SA 6FL or SA 609 (Professional navigation system) without SA 6FL"

First few lines of the combox installation pdf you attached.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Hi, I had seen your post and bookmarked it but I was hoping to get some clarifications on what my car has and what the acronyms are. I also contacted BimmerTech already but they quoted me a turn key solution. I would rather do the work myself. They also mentionned that I would have to lose my BMW assist during the retrofit, I was also hoping to understand why.
Your car currently has a CIC Navigation, a TCU Assist/Bluetooth module and a MULF-Hi USB module.

To retrofit the Combox you will remove the TCU and the MULF-Hi and install the Combox Telematics in their place. You will need either the wiring diagram and the connectors to create the PnP harness and then code your CIC to enable all the new features on your own or get the full kit from Bimmertech which includes all the parts and the coding.

The transfer of the Assist service from the TCU to the Combox is done by a willing dealer. Meaning, very few dealers are willing to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Your car currently has a CIC Navigation, a TCU Assist/Bluetooth module and a MULF-Hi USB module.

To retrofit the Combox you will remove the TCU and the MULF-Hi and install the Combox Telematics in their place. You will need either the wiring diagram and the connectors to create the PnP harness and then code your CIC to enable all the new features on your own or get the full kit from Bimmertech which includes all the parts and the coding.

The transfer of the Assist service from the TCU to the Combox is done by a willing dealer. Meaning, very few dealers are willing to do it.
Thanks, that clears a few things up for me. The wiring diagram seems to be in the combox installation pdf, unless it is missing something in there that you know and I don't.

Can you clarify the SA 606 without SA 6FL & SA 609 without SA6FL? ( I'm assuming that SA6FL) is the bluetooth interface/adapter or the combox name?

thanks for helping out, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that clears a few things up for me. The wiring diagram seems to be in the combox installation pdf, unless it is missing something in there that you know and I don't.

Can you clarify the SA 606 without SA 6FL & SA 609 without SA6FL? ( I'm assuming that SA6FL) is the bluetooth interface/adapter or the combox name?

thanks for helping out, I really appreciate it.
MULF-Hi = USB = SA 6FL
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
MULF-Hi = USB = SA 6FL
ok so bear with me here

If I understand correctly, I will have to order the Bluetooth telematics module + the combox. Then do the wiring & get coding done. Got a few more questions

The Bluetooth part number is: 84 64 0 441 949 (found in the PDF you posted.) Will it work with my 6FL or will I need to order the 65 41 2 152 528 Bluetooth kit with it's own usb/audio interface? I know you mentioned earlier that I would have to remove it, but I just wanted to be sure it will not be compatible with the interface-less Bluetooth module.

Would you be kind enough to post the combox & combox holder part numbers that I would need since it's not in the documentation I've been able to find? Or at least show me how to find it on realoem? I tried looking but no success, need extra nudge to get me going.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
ok so bear with me here

If I understand correctly, I will have to order the Bluetooth telematics module + the combox. Then do the wiring & get coding done. Got a few more questions

The Bluetooth part number is: 84 64 0 441 949 (found in the PDF you posted.) Will it work with my 6FL or will I need to order the 65 41 2 152 528 Bluetooth kit with it's own usb/audio interface? I know you mentioned earlier that I would have to remove it, but I just wanted to be sure it will not be compatible with the interface-less Bluetooth module.

Would you be kind enough to post the combox & combox holder part numbers that I would need since it's not in the documentation I've been able to find? Or at least show me how to find it on realoem? I tried looking but no success, need extra nudge to get me going.

Thanks again.
I charge to retrofit the Combox, so you should understand that posting the install steps in detail is not in my best interest.

On the other hand, the OEM retrofit is quite informative so my suggestion is to ask your dealer for it; print the document and handle it to them. Otherwise it will be a long trip of finding each part required for this retrofit. And after all that is done still you have not coded the unit to work yet. And most probably you will not get the Assist transferred to the Combox.

For sure, you will need to remove the two modules mentioned above for the OEM retrofit to apply to your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep

I understand your reasons but then again, I came forward on the forum in the hopes someone would be kind enough to help out since that's the intended purpose of the forum.. If I had wanted a turn key solution, I would have posted in the vendors section... I'll just keep looking and hoping someone else on here sees the thread and can chime in.

For what it's worth, I already went to the dealer, they told me that they wouldn't do that retrofit for me. They do retrofits but just not for my type of car. I'm also waiting for a quote from bimmer-tech, who knows maybe the pricing will be competitive and not worth me doing all the work myself...

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0