E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Phone contacts and Mercedes Comand....HELP!!!

01-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Phone contacts and Mercedes Comand....HELP!!!

Chaps....

Full write up on the new car later tonight or tomorrow as I'm off out this evening but in the meantime, can any of the Merc owners please help me with this! These things don't normally beat me but, this afternoon trying to pair my phone with the Comand system has somewhat taken the shine off my new car!

So, before I lose my sanity, is there actually ANY way to transfer my contacts from my iPhone to the Comand system?

I have tried pairing my phone (iPhone 5) - I can make and receive calls but theres no way to see or import contacts.

After reading online, I've even transferred my contacts to vCards in my laptop (both a windows and a Macbook) but, despite suggestions that it's possible both in the handbook and online, I can't pair either of my laptops to the car.

On my previous Merc I had a phone module which my iPhone 4 plugged into - this was the only way I could get the contacts into the car. I had hoped things had moved on but it appears not

So, given what I've tried, is there any way to get my contacts across other than type them all in (or, advice on how to pair my laptop if this is indeed possible would be much appreciated).

I was even contemplating buying a pcmcia card tomorrow as this looks like a surefire way of doing it....but it seems most pcmcia cards (or at least the one available in Maplin) aren't compatible with Comand

Help
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

No help until I see pictures of the beast.....

.....even then I feel I will be of absolutely no use whatsoever !
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

It's a real pain as the iphone doesn't support the standard push/transfer bluetooth protocols

Here's what I did

- Downloaded My Contacts Backup from iTunes
- Clicked on Backup
- Emailed the .vcf file to my email
- sync'd contacts to my old nokia
- Connected the Nokia to the command system via Blutooth
- Selected all contacts on phone and sent to MB through the menu item 'Receive Business Card'
      01-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
stevie996
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435d M Sport

My iPhone 5 pairs seamlessly in my E250 but I don't have command.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
No help until I see pictures
I've seen it - you're not missing much
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Andrew - I have the same issue.
From my googling efforts I've seen there is potentially a method of utilising your Macbook pro (which I know you have) - by setting up the car as a bluetooth device and syncing your contacts that way.

Google "Mercedes, COMAND, contacts Macbook Pro" and you should find something useful. Please let me know how you get on.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Come on mr nuts a mini review and pics

Just got home myself and no review
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

This may or may not work, but I had an SLK on test last week and it didn't have command. BUT, it had the screen system thing. Now I'm not sure how much different that is, but on the phone screen (where you can dial a number, if you push the little scrolly thing down and select the bottom line of menu, the left hand option if you click on it gave import contacts, which it did from my iphone.

COMAND may be entirely different, but worth a shot!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
The Audi MMI system is just as bad with limited facility to import the numbers. If I pair the phone up with the car using Bluetooth then the contact are visible and can import them to the car however using this method gives me no data services as he iphone isn't rsap compatible, thanks Audi for designing a car that doesn't integrate with the worlds most popular phone lol

If I pop the sim in the dash, then the data works but all the numbers I imported into the MMI disappear, ggrrr - the sim is too large to pop into the iPhone so end up having to export my iPhone contacts to a PC. Then use a USB SIM reader and copy he contacts onto my SIM that is used in the Audi. All good providing you don't need to alter a number! My sis text me her new mobile number the other day, 10 sec swap in he iphone but can't be changed in the Audi as there is no edit facility on stored numbers. Who designs these systems??
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Get a new phone - I know someone who could do you a good deal.....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

How old is the car? My 2012 C class just paired with the car and all the contacts etc are available via command and since iOS6 it reads out SMS. I have media interface as an option. Do you have this?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
How old is the car?
61 plate
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Not sure if this helps but when I had command on my C Class I had a lot of contacts in my phone (about 400). After the initial pairing it took over 30 minutes before the sync completed and I was able to see any contacts on the cars screen.

Whilst this was with an Android phone not my iPhone the same might apply to you.

Are you giving the phone plenty of time to sync or like me have you been sat there pairing and unpairing when nothing shows after a few minutes?

You might want to pair it and then leave it whilst you go for a drive in your new toy.
      01-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
The Audi MMI system is just as bad with limited facility to import the numbers. If I pair the phone up with the car using Bluetooth then the contact are visible and can import them to the car however using this method gives me no data services as he iphone isn't rsap compatible, thanks Audi for designing a car that doesn't integrate with the worlds most popular phone lol

If I pop the sim in the dash, then the data works but all the numbers I imported into the MMI disappear, ggrrr - the sim is too large to pop into the iPhone so end up having to export my iPhone contacts to a PC. Then use a USB SIM reader and copy he contacts onto my SIM that is used in the Audi. All good providing you don't need to alter a number! My sis text me her new mobile number the other day, 10 sec swap in he iphone but can't be changed in the Audi as there is no edit facility on stored numbers. Who designs these systems??
This lack of data is really getting to you isn't it?

So the MMI system works perfectly with my Android phone as it supports RSAP just like Nokia and Blackberry phones do as well. Maybe the question should be why Apple don't support RSAP which is used by Audi and Mercedes?

But in any case having had this working in the car the question to me is why?

The online services offered in the Audi are pitiful. Sure I can have a Google earth image overlaid on the navigation screen but if the base map doesn't have the road on then Google earth gets in a muddle. I was told that you didn't need to update the Audi maps as they came from Google. This is not the case,

The traffic comes from TMC so again online gives nothing extra.

So apart from telling the the weather, the Audi online service just leaves me asking why bother?

BTW I do actually have a SIM card for the car but right now it's sitting in the glove box