E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > I need a Lawyer!

06-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Black Sapphire

I need a Lawyer!

Got nailed for 59 in a 35 about 1 mile from house. 200 bucks and court appearance required. Anyone know a good lawyer in NJ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Alpine White 330xi

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
plea bargain..... talk to the cop at court. A lawyer will probably nail u with a hefty sum of money as well for his/her time
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
^^ as he said.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Dude, just pay the fine and stop speeding through neighborhoods...
      06-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 328i

+1 59 in a 35 isn't that big of a deal (relatively) and a lawyer would probably be a waste. Go talk to the cop and work something out with them, usually they'll let you out of/reduce it if you do something ie. traffic school...

good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
Dude, just pay the fine and stop speeding through neighborhoods...
+1, you screwed up now just be an adult and deal with it the right way.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would plead not guilty and talk to the cop before hand to reduce your offense to careless driving which doesn't carry points. (I believe) You don't really need a lawyer, just do some research on local laws on speeding and you should win your case.

If you don't mind me asking, where exactly was it that you got pulled over? Paramus?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you don't have one, take an usafe driving. It will cost around 400-500 dollars. You'll get no points. What town?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

wow you actually got court appearance required? you should plead not guilty if the cop isnt there that day. if hes not there, you can get off relatively easy since he will not be there to defend himself. best bet is to postpone the first date and get a new trial date that way he wont be able to show, and also demand a copy of the radar gun and calibration test. yes ive been pulled over many times.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Coupe

200 dollars? big deal...stop being a pussy...you screwed up...now pay the fee's and stop speeding like an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpatel View Post
200 dollars? big deal...stop being a pussy...you screwed up...now pay the fee's and stop speeding like an idiot.
It's not just the $200, you get points on your license which most likely hikes up your insurance rates. Also it goes on your driving record so no more warnings by an easy going cop for having a clean record.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

There is a rumor going around in my town that if you are caught going over 25 mph above the speed limit the Judge suspends your license for that many days....so 26 miles over and you lose license for 26 days...but it has to be over 25 mph at least. This includes interstate route 80. The town is Roxbury.

Do you have Radar detector?
      06-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
wow you actually got court appearance required? you should plead not guilty if the cop isnt there that day. if hes not there, you can get off relatively easy since he will not be there to defend himself. best bet is to postpone the first date and get a new trial date that way he wont be able to show, and also demand a copy of the radar gun and calibration test. yes ive been pulled over many times.
Great advice!
      06-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #14
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep

LOL! So much hate. I made a mistake. I do not plan on repeating - live and learn.

AND I am not a pussy except for the fact that i got nailed. The 200 bucks is pisswater. The 4 points I worry about. I'll square it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #15
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
cop said he will not be there on the date on the ticket.

dude we met at garden state plaza. LOL - he asked about my missing front plate and i gave him your line - "just had it worked on." he dropped the issue in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #16
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpatel View Post
hey is the oregon forum slow today?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 11:25 PM   #17
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjod123 View Post
hey is the oregon forum slow today?
haha pwned!

Sorry had to get some of that MIRC chat out of my system. Still fairly buzzed...too much alky and cooch on sunday night!

As the story was related to me, first time he really got on it he gets bagged. Just one of those incidents of 'wrong place, wrong time, dickhead cop'.

We all make mistakes, and I'm sure most of us were in his shoes at one point or another in our lives, so why the reason to bash? He wants a lawyer, either shutup or give him the number to one.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #18
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

Quote:
cop said he will not be there on the date on the ticket.

dude we met at garden state plaza. LOL - he asked about my missing front plate and i gave him your line - "just had it worked on." he dropped the issue in a heartbeat.
hey what up man! yea i remember you.....about him not being there, well thats a huge plus. plead not guilty; talk to the prosecutor first, see what he has to say. i would plead not guilty and argue that you want to see the radar result and calibration test of the radar to ensure it is in working order. the prosecutor will probably drop it down.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #19
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
LOL! So much hate. I made a mistake. I do not plan on repeating - live and learn.

AND I am not a pussy except for the fact that i got nailed. The 200 bucks is pisswater. The 4 points I worry about. I'll square it up.

I think you're getting the responses that you are due to the nature of the complaint.

I would have responded similarly, but no need to beat the dead horse.

Many people, including myself, see the use of a lawyer for petty traffic violations as a flagrant abuse of the judicial system, and a waste of your money.

To my recollection of NJ state law, points reduce by 2 after every 1.5 years. That means, worst case scenario, you will have 3 years until your record is clean.

In the meantime what that means for you is to drive more responsibly, and take the $40 defensive driving course for one of the following reasons:

1. Point Reduction
2. Insurance reduction

They now offer the course online, and though it says it takes 3-6 hours online, it realistically takes 40 minutes if you have completed the 8th grade.

The court date is simple, you show up, cop shows up, if both of you are there he will generally offer a plea deal. You can take the plea deal, which will be most likely 2 points and probably like a $200-250 fine.

Good luck... but I don't disagree with the responses. Complaining on a public forum about speeding is painful if presented the way that you did.

If you said: "hey guys, I just got a speeding ticket, here's what it is, here's how it happened; what do you guys think I should do about it? Is this something that I even bother considering a lawyer about?"

I think that would have produced a much better public response.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #20
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I think you're getting the responses that you are due to the nature of the complaint.

I would have responded similarly, but no need to beat the dead horse.

Many people, including myself, see the use of a lawyer for petty traffic violations as a flagrant abuse of the judicial system, and a waste of your money.

To my recollection of NJ state law, points reduce by 2 after every 1.5 years. That means, worst case scenario, you will have 3 years until your record is clean.

In the meantime what that means for you is to drive more responsibly, and take the $40 defensive driving course for one of the following reasons:

1. Point Reduction
2. Insurance reduction

They now offer the course online, and though it says it takes 3-6 hours online, it realistically takes 40 minutes if you have completed the 8th grade.

The court date is simple, you show up, cop shows up, if both of you are there he will generally offer a plea deal. You can take the plea deal, which will be most likely 2 points and probably like a $200-250 fine.

Good luck... but I don't disagree with the responses. Complaining on a public forum about speeding is painful if presented the way that you did.

If you said: "hey guys, I just got a speeding ticket, here's what it is, here's how it happened; what do you guys think I should do about it? Is this something that I even bother considering a lawyer about?"

Well said!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #21
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep

thanks! I am beginning to wonder if this is a state trooper site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
haha pwned!

Sorry had to get some of that MIRC chat out of my system. Still fairly buzzed...too much alky and cooch on sunday night!

As the story was related to me, first time he really got on it he gets bagged. Just one of those incidents of 'wrong place, wrong time, dickhead cop'.

We all make mistakes, and I'm sure most of us were in his shoes at one point or another in our lives, so why the reason to bash? He wants a lawyer, either shutup or give him the number to one.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #22
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep

Thanks for this info. The fine is actually 200 bucks and 4 points.

Quote:
I think you're getting the responses that you are due to the nature of the complaint..
Quote:
Good luck... but I don't disagree with the responses. Complaining on a public forum about speeding is painful if presented the way that you did..
I did not complain. I said I got nailed and asked if anyone had a lawyer. If you find that "painful," I dunno what to tell ya.

Quote:

mmmmk. After I assemble my legal team I'll hire you as my PR man
Appreciate 0