Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire decision

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

View Poll Results: Which of these offers the best value and quietest ride?
Toyo Proxes T1R 5 27.78%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 12 66.67%
Goodyear Eagle F1 All season 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

06-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Tire decision

This forum has been a big help narrowing down my choices. I'm to the final decision and have 3 finalists.
I have the 18 sport wheels and want to replace the Bridgestone runflats. I'm looking for good performance, better ride comfort and less road noise. I get out and have fun in the car on the weekends but during the week I do a lot of highway commuting. I would like something that's a little quieter on concrete.

I've narrowed it down to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, F1 All Season and Toyo Proxes T1R.
I threw the all season in there because it has a higher wear rating and we get below 32 in the winters. I don't drive my car in the snow and ice though, that's what the wife's car is for.

Anybody have words of wisdom to help my decision? Is there a significant noise and ride difference between the above tires?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Not too keen on your tire selections & thought I'd suggest some alternatives (in order of preference):

General Exclaim UHP
Sumitomo HTR Z III
Pirelli PZero Nero (currently on closeout pricing from The Tire Rack)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...playResults=31
      06-04-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

GS-D3 hands down. The ride is quiet and wet and dry traction is awesome. Treadlife is also extremely better then T1R's.
      06-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
brocken
Captain
Rep

cool, thanks for the feedback. I'd like to be a cheap dude and go with the all seasons but it sounds like the Gs-d3's are considerably more quiet and have better traction. It's worth an extra couple hundred if they're that much better.
I might even look at the Asymmetric F1 since those are the replacement for the GS-D3(tirerack doesn't list the GS-D3 anymore).

I crossed the Pzero Nero off my list a while ago. I've read too many complaints about noise and tramlining. those are two of the major things I don't want in a tire.
The Generals sound like a good value but not anymore quiet than the Bridgestones according to feedback on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

GS-D3 was a very nice tire, not too loud but hardly a quiet tire. especially once you get some miles on them. BUT, They have a great look are amazing in the rain, and are a real performance tire, not a budget "Ok for the Money" tire. There's some actual value.

Though I will say that I purchased Continental Conti sport 3's recently and and I like them much much better. Quieter, Better and more predictable grip, and smoother ride. Rain performance is excellent as well. So.... Yeah. Just to muck up the works for you...
      06-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
brocken
Captain
Rep

Thanks Revlis... haha
I did consider the Contisport 3 but I think they were quite a bit more expensive than the F1's. $1000 all said and done is my budget for tires.

*edit- I was wrong the Contisport 3 isn't much more than the F1... hmmm maybe I should consider those. If you tried the GSd3 and the Conti's are even better I might have to go with the Conti's.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

If you are thinking about the goodyear Asymmetric F1, check these out on tirerack #1.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=HTR+Z+III
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

I agree with both the Conti Contact3 recommendation as well as the F1 Asymmetric as very good performance tires with lower noise levels.

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0