E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I need some advice! Pros and Cons of getting a GED

10-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
flyby
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530i 2007 BMW

I need some advice! Pros and Cons of getting a GED

Hey everyone, I have some questions about the pros & cons of getting a GED. The reason I am posting this in the M3 forum is because in my opinion, most of the people here are successful, knowledgeable people that can really help me in making my decision.I am 17, a junior in high school and I will be turning 18 soon. I am now looking over my options of whether to get my GED this summer or even sooner and start college one year earlier. Going to college sooner and starting my way to a degree in business is the main reason why I am now considering to get my GED. Some people say that by getting a GED you will miss out on the great experiences of high school such as prom, graduation and other activities like this. I don't find missing out on those activities important enough to affect my decision.
Another thing to mention is: What I want to do after getting my GED, is going to my local community college" Oakton Community College" doing 2 years and finish my regular classes and then transfer to a University and get my degree. Also from what I heard, Colleges/Universities really like the initiative in students that do these kind of things because it shows interest and perseverance.
What I am really expecting to hear from you guys is your opinion on what I want to do and any advice you might be able to offer.

Thanks Everyone
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

I don't know if this is true or not but i think having a actual high school diploma is better then a GED, that is when your looking for a upscale job (not sure what line of work you want to go in). And you do know you can take college credit classes in high school right?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Hey everyone, I have some questions about the pros & cons of getting a GED. The reason I am posting this in the M3 forum is because in my opinion, most of the people here are successful, knowledgeable people that can really help me in making my decision.I am 17, a junior in high school and I will be turning 18 soon. I am now looking over my options of whether to get my GED this summer or even sooner and start college one year earlier. Going to college sooner and starting my way to a degree in business is the main reason why I am now considering to get my GED. Some people say that by getting a GED you will miss out on the great experiences of high school such as prom, graduation and other activities like this. I don't find missing out on those activities important enough to affect my decision.
Another thing to mention is: What I want to do after getting my GED, is going to my local community college" Oakton Community College" doing 2 years and finish my regular classes and then transfer to a University and get my degree. Also from what I heard, Colleges/Universities really like the initiative in students that do these kind of things because it shows interest and perseverance.
What I am really expecting to hear from you guys is your opinion on what I want to do and any advice you might be able to offer.

Thanks Everyone
First thing, what would be your GPA in high school when finish your GED?

Second thing, do you have strong extracurricular to support your app?

Third thing, are you sure you are into business?

I mean, we all want to earn lots of money, but what I'm trying to gauge is how much interest do you have in business. I can tell you that if I were to get into business earlier in my career, I would be making more money than I do now and work much less, but it won't be as enjoyable as a career in medicine. If you are mature enough to make a sensible decision, then by all means go for it. However, if you are just going by the lifestyle or parents' suggestion, think thrice before you act.

On the other hand, if you look at the grand scheme of things in life, this one year is not particularly significant and it has the potential to be the best year in your life as well. Like ejazbmw said, you can earn your AP credits or even take a few classes at your local c/c while in high school. I've seen a lot of my students do it when I was in graduate school.
      10-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Just stay in high school and take AP classes. High school is fun. Enjoy your senior year..I personally think graduating early and getting a GED is kinda dumb, but hey it's my opinion.

I didn't want to graduate early and just took some AP classes and I was concurrent in my local college my senior year. Do that instead. imo of course.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Take AP classes and do well on the AP exams. If your high school offers it, take College Institute as well (it's a program that lets you go to community college classes while still technically being in High School). My university granted me a full semester's worth of credits because of my AP scores. I know some people who got so many credits that they were technically sophomores even in their first year. There's really no reason to do a GED.

All the GED does is certify that you're more proficient than 60% of high school graduates; it's much more appealing to colleges to see that you finished High School and did so in the top 10% or 5%.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
...is because in my opinion, most of the people here are successful, knowledgeable people that can really help me in making my decision.
I don't know about success...I've had a few accomplishments in my lifetime:
  • Graduated High School
  • Finished military active service
  • Associate's Degree
  • Bachelor's Degree
  • 2nd Associate's Degree
  • Working on a 2nd Bachelor's
Yet, I'm still struggling to make ends meet sometimes. I know the economy is in a slump, and I graduated at a bad time (which is why I'm taking night courses while working full time), but I still feel like I'm not successful.

I can think of a handful of people who make almost twice my salary and they didn't even graduate high-school, or just barely did; 2 of them are known felons. Granted, they do manual labor, but they work 2-3 days per week for about $60-90k per year.

Not to get into their personal lives, but they don't know how to be responsible with their money, and they're broke all the time. On top of their 2-3 days per week schedules, I've been on an off day and when they were supposed to be working and they take long breaks. Long enough to meet up with me for lunch or something, and bull s#it for a couple of hours. On one occasion, one of them bragged about always being scheduled for 9-6pm, but always showing up at 12, then watching DVD's in a trailer for the rest of the day (since he's a supervisor).

This is really off-topic, and I know I'm not helping you with your decision with pursuing a GED or not. However, this has been something plaguing me for some time. How can 2 known felons work less hours than me, and make more than me. One didn't even graduate high school, and the other just barely did. On top of that, they take their time on their breaks, when I get an hour lunch, and that's about it. I understand they do "manual" labor, but they're always talking about sitting around doing nothing, or just shootin the s#it with their co-workers. Where I work, I'm the workhorse of the office since I'm the FNG. I've seen some of my bosses not come in at all (always on a Friday), or constantly call in they're coming late (it's supposed to be 9-5, they come in at 11 and leave at 3). I've never seen (of 4 people) catch ill more times in a year, than when I started working here. There's also about 3 people who have no function in the office. They're just there, but they don't do any actual work all day.

By workhorse, I mean I've stayed late (past 8pm, last one in the office to leave, and was the first one there in the morning), and volunteered to take weekend shifts (no one else ever does).

<END LONG RANT>

Whatever you choose to do, with the slow economy, I hope by the time you graduate college you can find a good rewarding job and the economy has picked up.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
stay in school. why would you drop out, take a ged test and then go to cc for 2 years? why not just finish school go to college and get a degree? You would have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you benefited tremendously and colleges might think you are a quitter for dropping out to get a ged.

You have 1 more year left. Stick with it
      10-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

I'm just going to come out and say it: This is a bad idea.

Even if it shows initiative, employers do not like or respect a GED.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
I don't know about success...I've had a few accomplishments in my lifetime:
  • Graduated High School
  • Finished military active service
  • Associate's Degree
  • Bachelor's Degree
  • 2nd Associate's Degree
  • Working on a 2nd Bachelor's
Yet, I'm still struggling to make ends meet sometimes. I know the economy is in a slump, and I graduated at a bad time (which is why I'm taking night courses while working full time), but I still feel like I'm not successful.

I can think of a handful of people who make almost twice my salary and they didn't even graduate high-school, or just barely did; 2 of them are known felons. Granted, they do manual labor, but they work 2-3 days per week for about $60-90k per year. .
I'm calling

Unless they are running actual jobs they are not making $60K-$90K a year and only working 2-3 days a week. Now if they're also selling drugs, then it's completely possible.

I know plenty of people in the construction field and this is simply impossible.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

What others have said. It will make it tougher in the long run - things change and you might not go the direction. Having a real HD diploma will make that transfer easier.

Jobs for those right out of HS are only getting harder to comeby now - don't reduce your odds with an ill advised decision.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
+1 to staying in school. A) Senior year is super FUN, B) Skip the community college thing and go right to the "real deal." C) MOST People automatically equate GED with a returned dropout.

TALK TO YOUR PARENTS, also talk to the college counselor at your high school. Try calling the admissions department of some 4-year universities and see how they feel about accepting the GED.

Good luck.

P.S. - Just because someone buys a used $19,000 BMW doesn't make them successful. Hell, just because someone buys a brand new 7 series doesn't make them successful either!
      10-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Stay in school. College is no joke and you could possibly regret getting out a year early and enrolling in a college. I think you should definitely take your time in college. I recommend going to community college to figure out what you really want to do so you have a good understanding of what classes to take at a university. It really takes time so I think you should just relax a bit and wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Stay in school... you'll get into college anyway if you're decently bright.
Senior year is something you'll want to experience.

And there a ton of people w/ M3's or any other car who aren't bright... just spoiled or are willing to waste all their money on a car.
      10-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Just start selling crack now
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

i went to a local CC during the summer before my senior year of high school and the summer before my freshmen year of college and had a total of 15 college credits before even going to college. just be smart about things i had two older sisters who pushed me to be proactive.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I get a sense that all of this is more about getting out and making money as quickly as possible. I can definitely understand that, but trust me - you'll have the rest of your life to make money, buy M3's and buy nice clothes, etc. You will NEVER have another opportunity like your senior year of high school and four years of college. Take your time, work hard, enjoy the ride - and everything else will fall into place.

A GED is not a good way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
flyby
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530i 2007 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkim View Post
stay in school. why would you drop out, take a ged test and then go to cc for 2 years? why not just finish school go to college and get a degree? You would have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you benefited tremendously and colleges might think you are a quitter for dropping out to get a ged.

You have 1 more year left. Stick with it

Im not looking to just do 2 years of CC, I will do that to finish all the regular classes and then transfer and get a MBA or such. Also as some of you said, I will talk to college counselors and University counselors to ask them for advice and if they accept people with GED's. Also, I understand that Senior year is very fun and I will still do most of those things like prom and stuff, except walking the stage which is not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I'm calling

Unless they are running actual jobs they are not making $60K-$90K a year and only working 2-3 days a week. Now if they're also selling drugs, then it's completely possible.

I know plenty of people in the construction field and this is simply impossible.
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to outright call them liars.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #19
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to outright call them liars.
Glad you didn't take offense to my post, as I wasn't trying to take aim at you.

It is possible for day laborers to make upwards of $60K/yr. Albeit not common. But they are working their ass off 7 days a week. And that's in a good economy. They are also usually the guys who've been in the field for a while and have gained a solid reputation in the field and also have their own "guys" they bring with them to the jobs. So really it's the "manager" of the day laborers.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

As long as you actually graduate from college then I think it doesn't matter too much. If you don't mind missing out on your high school experience, then go for it. Just keep on track and you'll be a year ahead. I personally don't think it's worth it; high school was fun and you'll never experience it again.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Im not looking to just do 2 years of CC, I will do that to finish all the regular classes and then transfer and get a MBA or such. Also as some of you said, I will talk to college counselors and University counselors to ask them for advice and if they accept people with GED's. Also, I understand that Senior year is very fun and I will still do most of those things like prom and stuff, except walking the stage which is not a big deal.
You know you can't get a MBA in your undergrad right? MBA is not a major. You have to be accepted after undergrad to a MBA program. Also a MBA is not an auto $100K salary. There are brutal hours associated with the salary you earn. There's always tons of ways to make money and be successful. Don't cut yourself short and think this is the only way. If you don't have a passion for it, then you're gonna struggle mightily.

Just know what you are getting yourself into by skipping the last year of high school.
      10-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #22
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

FlyBy, get your high school diploma, your only a kid once. Enjoy your last year of high school, plus you have all your life to work and get a great education.

This is my senior year, and i want to enjoy it, but cutting your high school days to get a GED isn't that great IMO. I myself right now have 29 credits as a senior, my school requires 22 to graduate, if i want to graduate now it's a GED, colleges are getting competitive nowadays. If you take AP courses such as AP accountant which my school has it gives you 8 college credits, which can be used towards business courses saving you tons of money to spend on a M.

Just my .02