E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Homemade FMIC (Even bigger than AA and HPF) for $300

09-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #133
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackwell View Post
+10,000. Seriously, if you want to TEST THE INTERCOOLER set your boost to say 13psi and run a full pass 1st - 4th while logging IAT. Perhaps that FMIC will perform well and there are many of us that are hoping it does; however, it makes absolutely no sense to test with the meth on.

As an example. Let's say you datalog and the IAT rises from 80* to 110* over a 4 gear pull. Then you have something to compare it to. It's hard enough to compare FMIC's based on the number of variables that aready exist... Ambient temps, boost, air intake, etc. Covering up the intercooler temps by spraying meth does the community no good. For that matter, almost the same could be said for a stock FMIC with the correctly dialed in methanol system.

Please, do us all a favor and run some logs without the meth flowing before you force me to buy one and do it...

Thanks!

John
As I said before; Yes I will run a test WITHOUT METH when time permits.
Im in UK right now working, so it will be quite difficult for me to do the test right now...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #134
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep

Let us just be logical now.

This IC is IDENTICAL to the well known and tested AA IC.

The only differences is that this specific "Ebay IC" is both thicker and has wider in- and outlets than the AA.

Will it cool the IAT? Yes.

Will the results be comparable to the $1100 AA IC? Yes.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #135
jblackwell
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post

The only differences is that this specific "Ebay IC" is both thicker and has wider in- and outlets than the AA.

I agree with you. Has someone found them here in the USA?
      09-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #136
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackwell View Post
I agree with you. Has someone found them here in the USA?
Someone mentioned something about RX7 not sure
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #137
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Someone mentioned something about RX7 not sure
Its different but likely similar performance wise. group buy on couplers and clamps!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #138
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Big Tom- you are going to offend a lot of folks here- those that sell the over-priced thousand dollar intercoolers and those that bought them that feel like they must defend their purchase. Please fight through. You have mentioned many times you will get logs w/o meth- looking forward to them. Thanks for doing this. It is not always easy to fight the trend.
      09-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #139
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:

Have you compared the fin angle and inner fin design? If not you can't assume it's identical nor comparable. There is a lot more to an intercooler than the end tanks and general core size.

Don't claim results will be comparable until you compare results. Otherwise you're talking out of your ass.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #140
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
Have you compared the fin angle and inner fin design? If not you can't assume it's identical nor comparable. There is a lot more to an intercooler than the end tanks and general core size.

Don't claim results will be comparable until you compare results. Otherwise you're talking out of your ass.
Lol..

Let us just be logical once again now.

Do you really believe in your wildest imagination that AA are making a super special, hitech, custom designed core?
Don't think so. Sorry for that.

They're probably just ordering a standard, universal FMIC from some vendor in China (As many others do), probably for half the price that we're paying for it.
After that they're putting their $1000 air duct on to it and then places it in a fancy box with a lot of nice logos.
And before they close the box they also throws in some pipes and hoses.

This is how it works, believe me on that, and im not willing to spend my hard earned money on things like this. Sorry.

Last edited by Big Tom; 09-09-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #141
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufgsd View Post
Does the weight of this beast not factor into performance on the front end? I am not sure what these things weigh compared to factory or even the smaller IC like the ETS version, which I like because of the given stats in performance and size. I guess I should not assume that larger will always be heavier.

Cheaper may not be always the better solution. Product quality and durability do factor in based on my opinion.

I also noticed that ETS seems to be the only IC out there that corrects other problems with factory IC like the elbows and piping type. While I have not bought an IC yet and No I am not getting paid from ETS to promote their product, I am paying very close attention to what the ideal product should be.
They are definitely not the only one that changes all the piping. STETT changes all the pipes to the charge pipe as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #142
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol..

Let us just be logical once again now.

Do you really believe in your wildest imagination that AA are making a super special, hitech, custom designed core?
Don't think so. Sorry for that.

They're probably just ordering a standard, universal FMIC from some vendor in China (As many others do), probably for half the price that we're paying for it.
After that they're putting their $1000 air duct on to it and then places it in a fancy box with a lot of nice logos.
And before they close the box they also throws in some pipes and hoses.

This is how it works, believe me on that, and im not willing to spend my hard earned money on things like this. Sorry.
Again, nothing you say is a fact until proven.

I have FMIC's produced and engineered to my specifications from a Chinese factory, do you? There's the difference. You're speculating where I've had first hand experience.

Just because the intercooler is made in a factory in China doesn't mean every FMIC is held to the same standard. We designed our core to spec and I can tell you from personal experience that just because an intercooler looks the same, doesn't mean its designed the same or going to perform the same as an intercooler that's most likely made in a different factory, in a different part of the country. If you think there's one factory in China producing intercoolers you are terribly ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #143
MF80
Captain
Thailand
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E92 335i

Another great infomative thread just turned into crappy thread with full of assholes again...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #144
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsTech View Post
Another great infomative thread just turned into crappy thread with full of assholes again...
So by your standards assumptions without testing or direct comparison are informative? I'm not trying to be a Debby Downer here, I'm just trying to make people aware that there is more to an intercooler than the size and end tanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #145
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
So by your standards assumptions without testing or direct comparison are informative? I'm not trying to be a Debby Downer here, I'm just trying to make people aware that there is more to an intercooler than the size and end tanks.
You've made that quite clear. That said, I think we owe the OP a little more appreciation & respect. The forum benefits from contributions like this thread. Let's not ruin it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #146
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
You've made that quite clear. That said, I think we owe the OP a little more appreciation & respect. The forum benefits from contributions like this thread. Let's not ruin it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #147
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. This is a nice contribution. Remember when everyone jumped on AlexBX for trying to get information to create the tuner chart??? People need to relax not scare people away from sharing neat things.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #148
WAYNEBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Agreeed... back off and respect someone going against the grain. End-user R&D is critical for any tuner scene, especially one that ever-changing as our N5X arena does.
      09-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #149
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:
What specifically should people be aware of and compare before buying the BigTom IC instead of e.g. the AA IC?

I've got the same IC tonight and is willing make any checks and take photos to show design flaws if I get info what to measure or look for.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #150
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep

Worth posting this pic again.
BTW, R1000 good luck with the IC-install this weekend!

Last edited by Big Tom; 01-12-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #151
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
What specifically should people be aware of and compare before buying the BigTom IC instead of e.g. the AA IC?

I've got the same IC tonight and is willing make any checks and take photos to show design flaws if I get info what to measure or look for.
I think if you take a macro shot of the front that should settle it. The pic above Big Tom just posted is pretty convincing in terms of similarity.

I am a vendor (don't sell much of the AA, but have sold a few) but I have no problems with people DIY their stuff. So not all vendors are against this thread lol I am kinda excited to see the data from this (non meth as I don't think running with meth proves anything as meth is the primary cooling factor and you are testing for cooling )

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #152
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Some pics here. The workmanship and design solution looks good enough to me, but I'm not an expert. It seems to be a major leap forward though in design and quality vs. the IC I have now, which performs very well except for being known to be a leaking monster in some cars like BigTom's.

The sides are cast aluminium and the inside of the connections are well rounded, which can not be seen in the pictures. The general feeling is that it is a steal and I expect it to perform a lot better than the one I have. It is definitely much stronger and better welded and the flow will be much better for sure.

I recently installed an expensive high quality IC for a friend. It was the ETS cooler that impressed a lot by its design and workmanship and the car also become the fastest 335 in Sweden earlier this year with the IC and some other stuff that I installed. The BigTom's IC is not as perfect as the ETS IC regarding finish but it is close, and it appears to have a lot more lung capacity.

So, what is the verdict from the expertise?
Attached Images

Last edited by R1000K3; 09-09-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #153
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep

Great pictures R1000!
Nice that the shipping went so fast and smoothly!

Last edited by Big Tom; 09-09-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #154
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

R1000,

I was skimming through the thread, so don't hate me if this has already been asked. Is this an ebay intercooler? If so, a couple things to beware of.

1.) Internal Fin Pack - If the internal fins are straight through and not offset and staggered the intercooler will heat soak in the higher boost range. This is very common in the Evolution community where most people are running over 20 psi. The straight non offset fins will act like tubes and not fins to dissipate heat.

2.) External Fin Pack - The straight through fins will allow good air flow to the radiator, similar to a core with a wider offset and staggered fin pack, but the straight fins will not have near the fin surface area to dissipate heat since the fins will be places directly behind each other.

3.) Coated Cores - You need to beware of coated intercooler cores, most Chinese intercoolers use an epoxy coating or paint to cover the intercooler. This allows them to not have to pressure check it. Overtime the coating does come off and you could possibly develop a boost leak.

4.) Inlet and Outlet Internal Diameter - The intercooler above looks like 3.0" inlet and outlets so the internal diameter will be more then enough, but some intercoolers that are 2.5" have an internal diameter of 2.0"

This is not to bash the intercooler, we build intercoolers this size all the time. It's just a few key things to check out when deciding your intercooler. I'm a DIY type of guy my self.

Thanks!

Michael
Appreciate 0