E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > abs hydro unit failure, is it terminal or intermittent?

06-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
mikeouk
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 325D m sport

abs hydro unit failure, is it terminal or intermittent?

further to my post the other day

had the unit checked by 2 garages, both say its the abs dsc hydro unit. Warning lights have been on for a few weeks now, until tonight, warning lights on dash have gone out, warning message on nav screen gone, and cruise is now working again

so, my question is, when the unit fails, is that normally it? is it dead, or can it be intermittent. is it possible that ive just got a bad connection or something?

BLUE WATER, CORAL RED LEATHER
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i e91

Maybe it was not ABS unit. Just wheel sensor. Like I had for more than 6 month and fault disappeared like it come. Without fix.
Garages you used was probably lazy plug in computer to have a look and said its abs unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
mikeouk
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 325D m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonukas View Post
Maybe it was not ABS unit. Just wheel sensor. Like I had for more than 6 month and fault disappeared like it come. Without fix.
Garages you used was probably lazy plug in computer to have a look and said its abs unit.
interesting, so you had same thing happen on same engined car as mine?

I was told that its pretty rare for the pump to go on the 6cyl cars, but its a major issue on 4cyl cars, hense why there is no bmw repair kit for the 6cyl.
How long ago did you have the same problem and has it never reappeared?

BLUE WATER, CORAL RED LEATHER
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Mine was showing intermittent errors before it became permanent. Gave me some false hope but it was the hydro unit at fault.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeouk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonukas View Post
interesting, so you had same thing happen on same engined car as mine?

I was told that its pretty rare for the pump to go on the 6cyl cars, but its a major issue on 4cyl cars, hense why there is no bmw repair kit for the 6cyl.
How long ago did you have the same problem and has it never reappeared?
I had problem last year from spring till about November. And never had same problem after that.
Buy yourself bmw cable.
Did you recently change your tyres or wheels?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

We re starting you see a good number if these 6 cylinder cars coming our way with Hydro unit failure normally when it hooked up to our AutoLogic diagnostic machine codes wise it's something like 5E20 or something like that but the magic phrase we are continually seeing is "internal" which points to the unit itself, I've spoken to customers who've said that they'd lost the light only to have it reappear later on. But usually when we get to see them it's pretty conclusive.

On the subject of rarity on 6 cylinder cars having the problem compared with 4 cylinder cars I'd of agreed 2 months ago but of late I've seen 5 come our way with the same issue so although the numbers are lower than the many 4 cylinder cars we've seen I'm seeing a pattern with more coming our way on July I've got another 3 that are due in over the next 2 weeks all reporting the same lights on the dash!

Re pricing on the 4 cylinder cars whether petrol or diesel the repair kit option is available at around £168+VAT(we done a 320i today) but on the 6 cylinder vehicles the financial difference is vast. For the Hydro unit itself its an eye watering £1580.85+VAT(though there is a repair unit for around £895+VAT but usually so I'm told for pressure sensor failure on these you have to buy the complete unit-which I don't quite understand) however there's reasonably good news as there is another option.

If its 100% faulty and its confirmed send it away to ECU Testing in Derbyshire http://www.ecutesting.com/ there quick efficient and on the ball(I've used them a couple of times)you'll get the unit returned to you refurbished it'll just need installing and correctly bleeding and coded to the car(must be done correctly as ECU Testing will point out otherwise you'll have issues) car will be off the road for a few days but in the pocket if its failed you'll be over £1000 better off by sending it away to ECU Testing.

Hope this in someway helps
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

+1 ecutesting.
Appreciate 0