E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > recommendation for paint protection

01-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

recommendation for paint protection

Hi guys,

my bumper is being repainted now because of the accident. After it is complete I think it's time to apply the paint protection on the bumper. I will most likely do the whole hood, fenders and mirrors as well.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm not looking to cheap out but not looking to spend a ton of money doing this as well.

I've had replies from two shops and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or can recommend one of their own.

Armored Films
Partial Hood & Fenders $249
Front Bumper: $349
Door edges $15/each

Auto-Links Toronto Ltd.
3M Ventureshield UltraBumper protection $400
Avery Nanofusion (second generation film) $450

Auto links did not tell me the price of the hood as yet. and from armored films I did not get the price of the whole hood only partial.

Armored Films told me that he has worked with European auto body in the past to complete some of their paint protection and tinting work.
      01-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Whatever you do, spend the extra coin and do the full fender/hood treatment instead of half. The seam becomes reaaaaally noticeable after a while if you only go half. I switched from half to full and now I simply cannot tell I have paint protection on the front half of my car, because the natural body seams break up the slight difference in reflectivity. Very happy with the result.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Whatever you do, spend the extra coin and do the full fender/hood treatment instead of half. The seam becomes reaaaaally noticeable after a while if you only go half. I switched from half to full and now I simply cannot tell I have paint protection on the front half of my car, because the natural body seams break up the slight difference in reflectivity. Very happy with the result.
Thanks! yeah i seen a couple with a half hood and besides the discoloration you can see materials when you wash your car starts to get stuck there... I had the hood repainted last year but (cross fingers) no stone chips that are noticeable now. so i said as the bumper is a big target, like a bull and a red cape, especially in the summer time when i lower it, I'll get that done now as the paint is fresh. Which shop did you use?
      01-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Sorry I'm not local to you - can't give a shop recommendation but I'm glad you are considering full-hood protection. I agree the seam does also capture wax buildup and what not. You really have to remember to clean that up every time... a pain for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Good idea man, the biggest regret I have is not doing the full wrap when I had a freshly painted bumper. 1.5 years of commuting on the 407 every day and my front end looks like it has been sand blasted. I would recommend Marco at Advanced Automotive Protection, he works with Kevin at GTA in Detail which is close to Ivo's shop (where we met in person). I would have Kevin do a new car prep on all the new sections then have Marco wrap it after Kevin does his magic. That way your car looks as new as possible for the longest time.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Call GTA in Detail. Trust me.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
e90mbition
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

got my pre cut kit from clear defender.com for my e90 and my gf mini cooper and did it myself. it just requires lots of patience and the edges r hard to tack down and takes time.

if you guys don't have the patience, just pay someone and get it done right. Mine looks 90% doing it myself but cannot complain for just paying 100$ for the pre cut kit which includes hood and fenders.

the mini was harder to do because of the curves. the more curvy the body the harder to do. Hood for a e90 or e92 will be pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90mbition View Post
got my pre cut kit from clear defender.com for my e90 and my gf mini cooper and did it myself. it just requires lots of patience and the edges r hard to tack down and takes time.

if you guys don't have the patience, just pay someone and get it done right. Mine looks 90% doing it myself but cannot complain for just paying 100$ for the pre cut kit which includes hood and fenders.

the mini was harder to do because of the curves. the more curvy the body the harder to do. Hood for a e90 or e92 will be pretty straight forward.
I was thinking about doing it myself but the only experience i have is applying invisible shield on my phone lmao.

I do want it to be guaranteed as well that it wont yellow or have defects. so i think I'm going to go with a shop.

But just wondering has anyone heard of the company Armored Films ?

The guy did tell me he has done work for the same body shop, European auto body, so I'm assuming he has done some good work. I want to ask the shop but since they do offer that i'm not sure they will be willing to give the best advise if i'm not going though them. could be wrong about that but this is the first time i'm dealing with them.
      01-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Auto-links
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E39

Hi Techy.

Thanks for considering us for the protection on your e90 as well.

Check out my facebook page www.facebook.com/autolinks
For an idea of the kind of work we do and the paint protection packages we offer.
Most people now are doing full hood that is the trend as people with half hood packages are seeing damage above the protected area and as mentioned over time you will see the seam and chance of the paint discoloration if you do not wax and maintain the paint regularly.
Thanks!
John
Appreciate 0