E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone really good with Macromedia Dreamweaver?

07-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Anyone really good with Macromedia Dreamweaver?

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. When I'm working on a web page (750 pixels across, centered) everything is fine. But if I do something really simple like change the title of the web page, after I come back into the design view from the code view, the entire web page that I'm working on will shift to the right a good 15 pixels! You can't really notice it in IE, but you definitely can in netscape.

Can anyone explain what is causing this...it's driving me crazy! It makes no sense. I've followed some of dreamweavers advice about turning down hardware acceleration on the video card, etc, but to no avail. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
JohnC602
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Dreamweaver is weird...

about stuff like that. I have been using it for two years now and even the smallest changes cause abnormal things to happen in design view. Check the <table> tag and make sure nothing funny is going on. Often Dreamweaver will insert things there that will result in your tables acting funny.

JohnC
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Copy and paste the source code. It's easier to find mistakes that way. I hate how Dreamweaver layers things on top of each other, i.e. if you change a color from blue to purple to green it will still keep the blue and purple tags but override them with the green one...ahh it's so stupid. LOl.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Caster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Yea paste the code, I could probably help you out. Are you coding by any standards? XHTML? CSS?

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

Sharp: When you say title, you mean in the Title metatag? That makes NO sense at all. Like the others said, paste code here.

Now I know why my college professor made us code in NOTEPAD. Yes, Notepad. Guess it paid off (I would have still gladly preferred Textpad). But yeah, these WYSWYG editors like frontpage and dreamweaver often put proprietary shiet in there. Dreamweaver isn't bad actually.

post the code
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

they say DW8 is supposed to improve Design View, but like the others have said, copy / paste is prolly the best way to go.

I'll be honest that Design View for me is basically a guideline only thing. I always look at the actual output in the browser, and go off that.

What are you trying to do though? tl_boy's right that changing the title makes no sense? Are you talking about a banner or something? That said, what container elements are you using?

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #7
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help guys. But I agree, this really makes no sense! Yes, when I go to code view to change the site title (meta tag), or change text in a table, the entire layout shifts.

But this isn't the only time. Listen to this...sometimes the entire layout would shift just by opening the file in dreamweaver! That's right, I would save the file and it would be perfect. Then I'd go to re-open the file and as soon as it opened in dreamweaver, it would shift over those 15 pixels.

I agree with most comments here, I use the code view most of all, because when you screw with design view too much, your code is likely to get bloated. Don't worry, I learned "longhand" HTML almost 10 years ago!

Well, for as strange as this sounds, if I keep both code and design view open, there doesn't seem to be any problems....at least I've been able to make about 3 pages so far without it shifting, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks again guys. If you can think of anything else, let me know
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:51 PM   #8
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

If the problem is noticeable in a browser the problem most likely lies in your code, not dreamweaver. What you see in the design view is almost never a representation of the actual view through a browser, especially with CSS and any includes.

Dreamweaver is a good program as long as you know how to code first, makes troubleshooting so much easier and with no browser standards troubleshooting is way too common.

You should post a bare bones file on the net so we can look at it through our browsers.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #9
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh, and about the copy/paste thing, yeah, I've done that. I've taken the "shifted" verson of the code and pasted it into a new blank file and it was still shifted! I'm starting to think something happened to the program itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:56 PM   #10
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

I think I know whats going on. Okay, first off, I bet its when you change something in the table it shifts, not when you change the metatag, i think you may have gotten mixed up.

You're using layers, aren't you, like you say, this layer is located at 120px and 50px? I've had problems when i used dreamweaver in the past, one layer would nudge another. Are you using layers? if so, do you have to? I don't think those are browser friendly (although, i haven't dealt with browser compatability issues since i was a web dev, which was 3 years ago!).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #11
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
You should post a bare bones file on the net so we can look at it through our browsers.
Good idea. Nothing illegal, is it?

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0