Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > From RUNflat to NON runflat? who's done this and is it worth the trouble?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #89
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Switching fron rft to non rft's is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me in my life. The sun shined a little brighter, the grass was a little greener, the air was a little more crisp, my car went a little faster, my gf bitched a little less, my pay check was a little more, i had a 3 some, i got a parking spot right up front at work, all because i switched to non rft's...
+1

I plan to do it too .... as soon as my RFT are worn

Had cracks in both my rear wheels (19 inch + RFT is bad news) cost me $1,000- to change one wheel the other BMW changed under warranty.

Loved your post ... happy motoring

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #90
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synikal View Post
I took the plunge from RFT to Non-RFT and I have to say, I am very pleased... I decided on the Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S great tire, very happy with the braking, grip and comfort. I step back and admire the design-- very stable at speed, slapped a set on Friday took the car out on a long drive to Sedona and couldn't have been happier.
I also made the decision to go non-runflats best thing i ever did on my 335
I put on Pirelli P Zero Nero as-well excellent grip on dry and unreal in the wet had a very fast run through the mountains and very happy.
Go for it you won't be disappointed.
      09-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #91
georgekirollous
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 330i performance pack

Hello I am new to this forum, just got my 330i e90 2010 performance pack with 18" wheels and RFTs of course :S here in Egypt the streets are really bad with many bumps and such stuff and the RFT is making the car extremely rough and annoying to drive, so I was thinking about changing to regular non-RF tires, so I have some questions, will regular tires fit on my stock alloys? will I lose the tire pressure monitor? will I get a malfunction light or anything like that? I am not concerned about trunk space so I can put a spare without any problems.. thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #92
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
georgekirollous

You should be fine on all points. Many people change over to NRFT on there cars. I recommend you go to one of your major tire shops and get confirmation to your questions. In general most people change to Continental non-run-flat tires.

PS. You should add your tire size to your post.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #93
georgekirollous
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 330i performance pack

thank you very much but I'm still converned about tire pressure monitor, will it continue functioning ?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #94
Sal@DTMrack.com
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yes the tire pressure monitor will continue to work on Non Run-Flat Tires
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #95
Cygnusx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sedan

Garage List
1976 280Z  [10.00]
1972 Datsun 240Z  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I just bit the bullet to save some cash and ordered a set of NRF Yokohama AVID tires from Tirerack for my '06 330xi.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I chose to buy a Slime brand flat tire repair kit to keep in the trunk.

Slime Powerspair 48 Piece Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8050&viewitem=

Straight-Six Addict - Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #96
chinito0825
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi '07 black

just bought a 3 series 3 weeks ago and my question is is it ok to have "bmw mobility kit" regardless you have RFTs? i am thinking to get one because i am not too sold on those RFTs. i am reluctant. i found one in ebay (mobility kit) but said that i cant use it on RFTs and on another website is said its a MUST HAVE if i have RFTs. now i am really lost! help please.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #97
hookah66
dirigir é a minha paixão
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93 328c N52 3.0L cabriolet

Garage List
2002 325xi  [0.00]
2009 328i cabriolet  [0.00]
There is nothing wrong in using a chemical sealer on a rft BUT you will prematurely ruin the tire pressure monitors that is now integral part of the tire valve stem assembly. The idea of rft is that even at low tire pressures, the tire walls is able to provide safe load for a pre-determined distance. And how do you know when you ain't got any pressure on a rft? Only through tire pressure monitors sensors, it is hard to discern that you got a flat on a rft, and now you are relying on the sensors to tell you that you got a flat. And your tire pressure monitors will fail premature if exposed to a caustic environment such as that of a chemical tire sealer. So what is the bottom line? I would not inject any sealer chemical into a rft. By the way a oem Beru tire monitor replacement run about 120 bucks or so, depending where you order from,, plus the cost of tire and mounting. And you can't repair a puncture on a rft, contrary to popular misconception. Yes, you can seal the puncture itself but you have already compromised on structural viability of the wall rigidity which is a function to its usefulness based on mileage. The rft's are here to stay, it is reliable, it has been in use in certain off road equipment for years, it works but it produces a very harsh rough ride. This is my opinion, others will certainly differ from what I have concluded based on my experience as a fleet owner of on and off road vehicles equipped with rft's. As a bimmer owner I HATE them, it deprives me of a smooth ride which I enjoyed on my e46.

Sou fanático por conversíveis...

Last edited by hookah66; 09-15-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #98
chinito0825
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookah66 View Post
There is nothing wrong in using a chemical sealer on a rft BUT you will prematurely ruin the tire pressure monitors that is now integral part of the tire valve stem assembly. The idea of rft is that even at low tire pressures, the tire walls is able to provide safe load for a pre-determined distance. And how do you know when you ain't got any pressure on a rft? Only through tire pressure monitors sensors, it is hard to discern that you got a flat on a rft, and now you are relying on the sensors to tell you that you got a flat. And your tire pressure monitors will fail premature if exposed to a caustic environment such as that of a chemical tire sealer. So what is the bottom line? I would not inject any sealer chemical into a rft. By the way a oem Beru tire monitor replacement run about 120 bucks or so, depending where you order from,, plus the cost of tire and mounting. And you can't repair a puncture on a rft, contrary to popular misconception. Yes, you can seal the puncture itself but you have already compromised on structural viability of the wall rigidity which is a function to its usefulness based on mileage. The rft's are here to stay, it is reliable, it has been in use in certain off road equipment for years, it works but it produces a very harsh rough ride. This is my opinion, others will certainly differ from what I have concluded based on my experience as a fleet owner of on and off road vehicles equipped with rft's. As a bimmer owner I HATE them, it deprives me of a smooth ride which I enjoyed on my e46.

so youre saying rft is reliable but you cant repair it? does it mean you puncture your rft then you get to go home and thats it. i have to replace it since i cannot use those tire sealant? so these RFT is a one time thing?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #99
hookah66
dirigir é a minha paixão
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinito0825 View Post
so youre saying rft is reliable but you cant repair it? does it mean you puncture your rft then you get to go home and thats it. i have to replace it since i cannot use those tire sealant? so these RFT is a one time thing?
What I am saying is that once a RFT is punctured you don't know how many miles you have driven on it; so for safety reasons it is desirable for you to replace it. The TPMS is not an instantaneous warning but it will tell your tire pressure is low after certain rotations. You may repair a punctured RFT with a plug just like any regular tire, but then you have compromised the RFT wall integrity, so the next time you got a puncture the rigidity of the wall is not there to give the RFT feature thereby your tire will collapse in a much shorter distance or you may have a blow out. The caustic properties of a tire sealant will cause premature corrosion of your TPMS monitor which is typically mounted in the inner cavity of the tire attached to your valve stem. The sealant will not harm the rubber of a RFT.

Last edited by hookah66; 09-15-2010 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #100
Jenich
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 model E90 320D Sportspack

Garage List
2005 E90 320D  [5.00]
I currently have run-flats 225/40/17 at the front and 255/35/17 at the rear. I recently had two punctures in tha same day and had to put in a plug. Not too keen on this and also a good excuse to change from stock 17's to AC Schnitzer 18's. Mags will be here by the end of the month and tyres will be Falkons. I hear that non run-flats are the best. I also got myself one of those cigarette lighter pumps and a tyre repair kit. Will post pics as soon as I have them put on
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #101
chinito0825
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookah66 View Post
What I am saying is that once a RFT is punctured you don't know how many miles you have driven on it; so for safety reasons it is desirable for you to replace it. The TPMS is not an instantaneous warning but it will tell your tire pressure is low after certain rotations. You may repair a punctured RFT with a plug just like any regular tire, but then you have compromised the RFT wall integrity, so the next time you got a puncture the rigidity of the wall is not there to give the RFT feature thereby your tire will collapse in a much shorter distance or you may have a blow out. The caustic properties of a tire sealant will cause premature corrosion of your TPMS monitor which is typically mounted in the inner cavity of the tire attached to your valve stem. The sealant will not harm the rubber of a RFT.

i guess the safest way is to buy a spare then. it doesnt make sense with all this sealant OR RFTs because one way or the other you will hurt either the tire or you will end up damaging the sensors. bottom line sealant will damage both tires and sensor...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #102
hookah66
dirigir é a minha paixão
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinito0825 View Post
i guess the safest way is to buy a spare then. it doesnt make sense with all this sealant OR RFTs because one way or the other you will hurt either the tire or you will end up damaging the sensors. bottom line sealant will damage both tires and sensor...
You are taking everything out of context. The RFT's are a proven and well tested product. Even super luxury brands such as Maserati & Bentley will be equipped as part of the OEM. There is no need to carry a spare, this is a mentality of yesterday. I HATE them because of the rough ride not because they are UNSAFE!!! I refilled my tires with nitrogen gas which helps to lessen the harsh ride. Michelin & Goodyear just introduced new soft rolling edge RFT's which I am very much interested. I drive the E93 which means that I ain't got no room for a spare nor a jack in my trunk once my top in open. Think positive and trust the hyper Ingenieure from Műnchen who designed your wondercar....

Last edited by hookah66; 09-16-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #103
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM2006i View Post
Hi,
i'm just wondering if I should go NON runflat on bmw sports package wheels. I think it's almost time to change my tires since the recommended life span of runflats is around 20k miles? another factor is that these runflats are so expensive and not alot of shops have the equipments to repair or change these.

1)For people who have switched to NON runflat on 17 or 18 inches wheels. How does the ride feel? how long have you been driving on NON runflat? is there any problem on a long term?

2)what happens if you have a flat on NON runflat? because there's no spare tire in the trunk

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks alot.
1. Feels the same for me. I went from 16" style 268's to 189'w w/ Pirelli Pzero Nero A/S. But depending on how much PSI, like from 32-40, the ride is a bit harsher. Been on this for almost 10k in NYC driving

2. Lol i actually had flats, not even 24hrs after i switched. Why? Freaking Queensboro bridge has so many potholes and my entire right side blew out...Yes, all 2 tires and not to mention it gave my flawless 189's a nice 1" rash...Had to call my dad to get my tools (luckily I had my 268's with me because some punkass buyer decided to be funny and not show up.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #104
chinito0825
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=hookah66;8010377]You are taking everything out of context. The RFT's are a proven and well tested product. Even super luxury brands such as Maserati & Bentley will be equipped as part of the OEM. There is no need to carry a spare, this is a mentality of yesterday. I HATE them because of the rough ride not because they are UNSAFE!!! I refilled my tires with nitrogen gas which helps to lessen the harsh ride. Michelin & Goodyear just introduced new soft rolling edge RFT's which I am very much interested. I drive the E93 which means that I ain't got no room for a spare nor a jack in my trunk once my top in open. Think positive and trust the hyper Ingenieure from Műnchen who designed your wondercar....

i am just a little worried because its my first brand new luxury car and dont know much about it yet. plus i bought this and came with RFTs but i think the life on these are just 40% so thats why i am just hesitant on going out there. everything is new to me especially this no-spare-tire car features...but thanks alot for giving input on all of these. appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #105
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Switching fron rft to non rft's is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me in my life. The sun shined a little brighter, the grass was a little greener, the air was a little more crisp, my car went a little faster, my gf bitched a little less, my pay check was a little more, i had a 3 some, i got a parking spot right up front at work, all because i switched to non rft's...
man what luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #106
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

Huge difference. Replaced RFT in my previous car with Yoko Advan S4's and my god it was amazing. Plan to do the same when the OEM Bridgestone's on my 335xi wear out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #107
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Al View Post
Huge difference. Replaced RFT in my previous car with Yoko Advan S4's and my god it was amazing. Plan to do the same when the OEM Bridgestone's on my 335xi wear out.

you have a winter set as well?

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #108
Babo335
Officer
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 Xdrive

What would be the best solution in case of flat tires on none RFT setup? Slime kit or Spare tire saver kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #109
hookah66
dirigir é a minha paixão
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBimmer2011 View Post
What would be the best solution in case of flat tires on none RFT setup? Slime kit or Spare tire saver kit?
scream as loud as you can!!!.... then send your wife/gf/mistress (or bf) to nearest gas station for help while you stand guard next to your beloved bimmer against thievery...just kidding. I would carry an electric air pump/jack stand if you got space and bimmer Assist/AAA plans. I personally carry a plug repair kit which is not difficult to use after practice and a small elect pump for air. Slime kit will ruin your tpms.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #110
Babo335
Officer
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 Xdrive

Thanks! I will pickup a plug repair kit and electric air pump tonight and it that does not work I'll try your first suggestion. lol
Appreciate 0