E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Seems theres no way to organize 09 iDrive music once imported

12-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Seems theres no way to organize 09 iDrive music once imported

The iDrive organizes the music into albums by the date of the import. I cant seem to figure out how to change that. So instead of custom albums the only way to find your music is searching or using the import date.

This makes it impossible to organize your music into different genres or categories, so you always have to select a single artist unlike how you can select a genre or custom album in iTunes. Sometimes Id like to have the music played random from a certain genre or album to get a variety of music. That is impossible with the stupid way iDrive organizes.

If theres a way to change the content of the albums, please let me know. I mean who really wants their music organized by import date?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
nselimis
E93 Owner and loving it!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93

I had a similar concern but then i realized that i could make playlists for types of music.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You can make playlists in the iDrive? Please tell me how you did that. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Ed312ly
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
also didn't like the idrive's way of organizing music, so i made playlists also. using itunes
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed312ly View Post
also didn't like the idrive's way of organizing music, so i made playlists also. using itunes
How does making playlists in itunes affect the way the music is organized in idrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Ed312ly
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
How does making playlists in itunes affect the way the music is organized in idrive?
well since i can't seem to organize music in the idrive, i took the alternative route which is making playlists via itunes.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed312ly View Post
well since i can't seem to organize music in the idrive, i took the alternative route which is making playlists via itunes.
Yeah but I dont need playlists in itunes. Im trying to organize the music in idrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
nselimis
E93 Owner and loving it!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93

You orginise then via the playlists. One for each type of music and one over all. I also made lists for diffrent moods that way i dont care how they are actually orginised just what i want to here and choose the playlist.

Don't get hung up on organization just what you want to hear.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nselimis View Post
You orginise then via the playlists. One for each type of music and one over all. I also made lists for diffrent moods that way i dont care how they are actually orginised just what i want to here and choose the playlist.

Don't get hung up on organization just what you want to hear.
I dont think you understand. Forget about itunes. I want the music on the iDrive organized, not in itunes. The music cannot be categorized by genre, album or playlist on the iDrive once imported.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
I dont think you understand. Forget about itunes. I want the music on the iDrive organized, not in itunes. The music cannot be categorized by genre, album or playlist on the iDrive once imported.
Did the mp3 ID tags in your music contain the right genre info *before* you imported them in the iDrive? Don't have an '09 iDrive but that doesn't seem right, you should be able to list by genre, artist, album etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
Did the mp3 ID tags in your music contain the right genre info *before* you imported them in the iDrive? Don't have an '09 iDrive but that doesn't seem right, you should be able to list by genre, artist, album etc.
I can search by album/artist/etc using the idrive. But when the music is imported it creates albums based on the import date. So if I want to play a bunch of different artists I cant. I can only play a single artist or album, or the idrive import date album.

I cant random play an entire genre, or create a playlist of 5 artists and play them. Only a single artist, or single album or the playlist the idrive made using the import date.

Its not a problem when you want to listen to a single artist. But its not possible to play more then one artist or make custom playlists. Its just annoying while driving to try and change artists instead of being able to play through a big group of artists.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

wow, sorry to hear...If there's no way around this, this sucks big time!

So what happens if you try to upload a playlist with multiple artists for example?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

These are some of the reasons I'm not using the HD for music. I bought a 32 GB USB flash drive on Amazon for $50. I can fit a whole lot of music on it at a very high resolutoin, and I can organize them into folders as I see fit. If I need or want to reorganize, just do it with Windows Explorer.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
These are some of the reasons I'm not using the HD for music. I bought a 32 GB USB flash drive on Amazon for $50. I can fit a whole lot of music on it at a very high resolutoin, and I can organize them into folders as I see fit. If I need or want to reorganize, just do it with Windows Explorer.
Im thinking about something like this too. The hdd actually skips quite often as well. I dont know if its just a problem with mine, but Ive had 4 crashes, and the music on the hdd skips on almost every song. Its like a scratched cd skipping and lasts only a second. Its very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Im thinking about something like this too. The hdd actually skips quite often as well. I dont know if its just a problem with mine, but Ive had 4 crashes, and the music on the hdd skips on almost every song. Its like a scratched cd skipping and lasts only a second. Its very annoying.
Amazon has a Kingston 32 GB for about $50. That is a lot of music, and it seems to work well in my car.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
your hdd may be going bad or the buffering on the system might be messed up. I would take it in and let the service people have a look at it.
      12-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
melm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2009 idrive sat radio

You should (if you have the equipment) be able to burn an MP3 disk with lots of files and import that. you should be able to organize it how you like before you burn it. That might help a bit. If you can burn a DVD-R disk, you can get even more transferred to the car in whatever order you like... in other words, create the playlists on the disk, then import.
Appreciate 0