E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Early Mods New e90 n54 335i

08-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Early Mods New e90 n54 335i

Hey Guys,

Few questions. I just purchased my 335i. CPO's with 58k on the clock, and I've already had the desire to start modding.

- I ordered Nokya 2500k Yellow fogs and did the swap today. Happy with these.

- Tint has also been done.

However, I'm looking to order a matte black kidney grill. I know a lot of people advertise and sell them, but I have heard some of the fitments are off or not perfect. Who would you say puts out the best OEM like product for the e90?

I also have been looking into the Cobb AP, and JB4. I'm definitely going Cobb for the money and convenience of switching it for future warranty needs, but has anyone posted a comparison of the real power difference on the Stage 1 map?

Other then that, just planning to do the Berger Drop in Filter for now!

So please, advise me on the grill and power diff between Cobb Vs. JB4. And if you think theirs a better drop in filter etc.. feel free to reach out to me!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

I got my matte black kidneys from **********s. Perfect fit and no issues. I also installed my JB4 today and the power is amazing! Install was super easy too.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

I got my kidney's from E92Lighting.com. Smooth surface, good color, perfect fitment. 10/10

COBB vs JB4 on a 100% stock car? I believe JB4 will push out a little more power than the Stage 1 maps on COBB. As far as the drop-in's go, don't do it, just keep your stock filter. You are feeding cleaner air to your turbo's, and you won't see a huge difference getting a filter in the stock box.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

May want to look into plastic-dip for those grills

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/Slick-Top/Single Hump/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledxjoker View Post
May want to look into plastic-dip for those grills
+1

I did the plasti dip as a test and it looks great. I am going to see how it holds up over time but may still order a painted set.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
I got my kidney's from E92Lighting.com. Smooth surface, good color, perfect fitment. 10/10

COBB vs JB4 on a 100% stock car? I believe JB4 will push out a little more power than the Stage 1 maps on COBB. As far as the drop-in's go, don't do it, just keep your stock filter. You are feeding cleaner air to your turbo's, and you won't see a huge difference getting a filter in the stock box.
great, is there an intake that the dealer won't get mad about other than the Dinan? and anyone have exp with the Dinan?

I have 1 more questions, I can't really find in the DIY's how hard it is to swap the angel "bulbs" or whatever would change the ill light yellow to white like your signature @E90Company can you shed some light on how hard this is? I've seen some people do eBay or more costly ones..

also any other advice on some basic mods I have brushed on?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Go to burgertuning.com. They sell the angel-eye LEDs, and have instructions on installation. It's a bit of a PITA in the e90, as you have to remove the wheel well to get to the bulb. But worth it.

I recently got a 2007 335i, and am experiencing some similar mod bugs, but mostly engine-related. JB4 is much cheaper than Cobb, but I'm leaning towards the Procede with FlexFuel that Vishnu now offers. Its about $1600, but allows use of e85 and the program automatically adjusts for whatever concentration you have. Dynos show about 425rwhp with a fmic and intake.

For the intake, I'm going with the Mr. 5 design. Do a search and, if you're willing to get your hands a little dirty, you can have a good-flowing intake, all cold air, for about $100.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcharlesy View Post
great, is there an intake that the dealer won't get mad about other than the Dinan? and anyone have exp with the Dinan?

I have 1 more questions, I can't really find in the DIY's how hard it is to swap the angel "bulbs" or whatever would change the ill light yellow to white like your signature @E90Company can you shed some light on how hard this is? I've seen some people do eBay or more costly ones..

also any other advice on some basic mods I have brushed on?
It's really a hit or miss with the dealer when working with bolt-ons not authorized by BMW. The dealer could potentially get you for having something as simple as a drop-in filter, while some dealers will let you go in with downpipes installed, and not say anything. If your worried, I would stick with the stock airbox.

Changing AE bulbs is really simple: Just unscrew a few bolts holding the fender liner to the front bumper, peel it back, and change the bulb under the plastic cap. It's 100% plug and play and takes 15 minutes tops. It takes longer than the LCI cars, but it's still pretty straightfoward. If you are looking for a DIY, search around. I'm sure there's one on here.

Anything from Ebay is a hit or miss, but quite a few people run Ebay LED's with no issues so far. I ran the MTEC V3's. They were outstanding and cost me $120 I think
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Anything from Ebay is a hit or miss, but quite a few people run Ebay LED's with no issues so far. I ran the MTEC V3's. They were outstanding and cost me $120 I think
mine were like $45 on ebay
it's just an LED and at the correct wattage, you're not going to have problems. it's not like LEDs don't have great life spans or anything
similar design to the MTECs so the brightness will be similar too
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

i got my gloss black grilles from: http://myworld.ebay.com/bmwconcordparts

They fit beautifully.

Went with the Procede Rev 3 and fitted myself.
Appreciate 0