E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Rear PDC sensor PROBLEM after Alpine upgrade

02-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
von Schultz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011

Rear PDC sensor PROBLEM after Alpine upgrade

Just got the upgrade few days ago on my E90 LCI!

Got the Alpine kit & iPhone station (this is the new product for the cars without iDrive).

I have one huge problem - i've noticed that the sound from the rear parking sensor is very, very, very quiet and i think the sound only comes from the left rear side. When i've tried to turn the volume up for the PDC sensor, almost nothing happened. Maybe 5-10% increase in volume.

I'm taking it to the service once again. Do you guys have any idea what happened? Maybe some wire is not plugged in properly?

One more thing - sometimes after i plug in my iPhone or usb stick and turn on the radio, the signal first comes to the rear speakers and then after second or so to the front. Any clue on that?

Thanks!

Last edited by von Schultz; 02-19-2012 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst Group
Just got the upgrade few days ago on my E90 LCI!

Got the Alpine kit & iPhone station (this is the new product for the cars without iDrive).

I have one huge problem - i've noticed that the sound from the rear parking sensor is very, very, very quite and i think the sound only comes from the left rear side. When i've tried to turn the volume up for the PDC sensor, almost nothing happened. Maybe 5-10% increase in volume.

I'm taking it to the service once again. Do you guys have any idea what happened? Maybe some wire is not plugged in properly?

One more thing - sometimes after i plug in my iPhone or usb stick and turn on the radio, the signal first comes to the rear speakers and then after second or so to the front. Any clue on that?

Thanks!
Hi had the alpine upgrade done few months back the sound from the back first is ok it takes a signal from rear speakers that then powers the amp.regarding the pdc noise I've read in the large alpine thread that if the connections from the mids to tweeters are connected wrong this can effect pdc tone. Hope this helps.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Sorry got part of that wrong the rear speakers aren't amped they are still powered by the headunit so they come on a fraction before the front speakers because it takes that split second for the alpine amp to power up the front speakers.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Exwoodchuck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Welcome to the 'quiet' PDC issue post-Alpine upgrade kit install Club!

It also affects your 'gong', your Bluetooth connection, and your Nav voice too I'd bet.

Complain to your local BMW dealer-- there are quite a few of us here in the US who've recently done the upgrade, coded it with ISTA/P per the instructions, and now have issues with volume.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
von Schultz
Private
Rep

Gong sound is ok though, PDC sensor is the problem. Regarding bluetooth and nav voice - i don't have them installed.

Do anyone else have the clue what is happening here?

@Exwoodchuck - did u solve the problem meanwhile or not?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst Group View Post
Gong sound is ok though, PDC sensor is the problem. Regarding bluetooth and nav voice - i don't have them installed.

Do anyone else have the clue what is happening here?

@Exwoodchuck - did u solve the problem meanwhile or not?
If the Professional Radio/iDrive unit was coded to HiFi as part of the Alpine Retrofit installation then the obvious answer is that the rear speakers are being driven by a low level signal. That's what HiFi means = low level outputs.

Otherwise, this is normal behavior: the front/underseat woofers are powered by some 80W per channel by the Alpine amp while the rear speakers are powered by the internal HU/iDrive IC amp with 15W-25W per channel.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Exwoodchuck
Private
United_States
Rep

No, I don't have it solved. It has to do with the volume levels that are set when 676 is added to your VO as part of the coding for the Alpine Retrofit.

A few of us are trying to crack the code, and I'm pursuing this through contacts at BMWNA. It's rendered my Bluetooth connection to the car pretty much useless, so I'm a little grumpy about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
von Schultz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If the Professional Radio/iDrive unit was coded to HiFi as part of the Alpine Retrofit installation then the obvious answer is that the rear speakers are being driven by a low level signal. That's what HiFi means = low level outputs.

Otherwise, this is normal behavior: the front/underseat woofers are powered by some 80W per channel by the Alpine amp while the rear speakers are powered by the internal HU/iDrive IC amp with 15W-25W per channel.
Makes sense... but again, what is the point of upgrading one component when another one will stop working?

I doubt this is something what is considered normal. The current situation is like that i have never ordered PDC option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck View Post
No, I don't have it solved. It has to do with the volume levels that are set when 676 is added to your VO as part of the coding for the Alpine Retrofit.

A few of us are trying to crack the code, and I'm pursuing this through contacts at BMWNA. It's rendered my Bluetooth connection to the car pretty much useless, so I'm a little grumpy about it.
Please let us know when you (hopefully) resolve this situation. Do you have any time frame in mind regarding possible service or something? I'm going to vist my dealer in about two weeks from now and hopefully someone will know by then what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

Guys, can some of you download the free JL Audio Tools app and do a rudimentary SPL meter test faded full front and full rear (with some kind of constant signal like pink noise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck View Post

Why does it render your bluetooth useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst Group View Post
Makes sense... but again, what is the point of upgrading one component when another one will stop working?
If someone is brave, they could crack open the amp and try to switch the jumpers from high level to low level and see how this effects PDC and bluetooth (my thoughts are PDC worse, bluetooth better)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
gtomlja
Rep
Drives: e90 318d

My dealer did 2 things, coded 676 option which changed audio system in my HU from stereo to HiFi, yes. But he also coded the car for Alpine HiFi retrofit. I have print out from ISTA/P where I see Alpine retrofit is ticked on like done.

I agree it would be strange to install a retrofit and then have others system affected like this.

Will see tomorrow what my dealer says.

One strange thing is that system itself works good and loud. If Alpine amp is by default switched to accept hi level signal, and by coding the HU signal is now low level only, how would that affect the sound overall??
This would not work as it should I guess..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomlja View Post
If Alpine amp is by default switched to accept hi level signal, and by coding the HU signal is now low level only, how would that affect the sound overall??
This would not work as it should I guess..
Overall headroom will not be as large.

Incidentally you will have a higher volume knob position for a given SPL...which I am wondering if that contributes to the bluetooth problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomlja View Post
My dealer did 2 things, coded 676 option which changed audio system in my HU from stereo to HiFi, yes. But he also coded the car for Alpine HiFi retrofit. I have print out from ISTA/P where I see Alpine retrofit is ticked on like done.
Can you post a screenshot? I see my VO says 676 but I don't see anything that says alpine retrofit.

I was debating in another thread if there was a subtle difference between Alpine Hifi and Ordinary Hifi, but based on my results, I don't THINK so, but haven't been able to test.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #13
gtomlja
Rep

I'm just back from my dealer. They don't know what the problem is, but will send an e-mail with my car details and what they did after install of Alpine kit to Germany and ask for solution.

Will keep you all posted.

Attached below 2 printouts from ISTA/P.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Alpine HiFi retrofit coding.pdf (300.5 KB, 925 views)

Last edited by gtomlja; 02-20-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
Trim2.00
      02-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
Exwoodchuck
Private
United_States
Rep

I also watched my car coding via ISTA/P. 676 was added to my VO also.

Keep us posted as to what the Dealer says -- I'm still waiting to hear back from mine.

I've looked at what gets changed during coding-- quiet a few of the gong, Bluetooth and PDC volume levels get changed from e90_stereo to e90_hifi after coding. My thought is that its the root cause of the volume issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Exwoodchuck
Private
United_States
Rep

For those who have had dealer's program this, please go back to them and have them open up a PUMA case. I've got an appt on Monday to see if by poking around in ISTA/P, if there's a way to someway to un-attenuate the volume or gain through those sections. If there isn't, then I'll have my dealer open up a PUMA case-- they said they're real responsive to stuff like this!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwoodchuck
For those who have had dealer's program this, please go back to them and have them open up a PUMA case. I've got an appt on Monday to see if by poking around in ISTA/P, if there's a way to someway to un-attenuate the volume or gain through those sections. If there isn't, then I'll have my dealer open up a PUMA case-- they said they're real responsive to stuff like this!
Exwood. Can you describe te problem. Are all sounds attenuated or are some loud and some too quiet (pdc/bt/gong)
Appreciate 1
Trim2.00
      02-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #17
gtomlja
Rep

I don't have bt but gong is normal and pdc is too quiet. Still no response from dealer, will have to remind them once more today...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #18
von Schultz
Private
Rep

Let us know asap. Tnx.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
Exwoodchuck
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Exwood. Can you describe te problem. Are all sounds attenuated or are some loud and some too quiet (pdc/bt/gong)
BT/gongs/Nav voice (and for those with PDC, the PDC gong) are too quiet. Other audio sounds 100% the way it should be. If I go into CIC and turn the gong volume up, it's still much quieter than it was pre-coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

I am convinced all (maybe except PDC because its rear only?) would be louder if you used the LOW level input on your amp (gotta crack it open and change jumpers). You would then have a lower volume knob position when listening to audio, so they would be more in balance.

Looking at 3x sets of instructions for the alpine upgrade, it seems BMW can't make up their mind about recoding it or not. The most recent ones (and the oldest ones) apparently say NOT to recode (which is a crap method)...probably because the amps are coming pre-configured for high-level inputs.

The one set of instructions that DOES say to recode is from 09ish...and this is the way to go...but it may require you changing the jumpers INSIDE the amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
Exwoodchuck
Private
United_States
Rep

Since I've paid good $$ for the kit, and then for coding, yeah, I'm not cracking anything open!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Suggest it to your dealer then, let them know about the low level jumpers (show them pics from montr's thread).
Appreciate 0