E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Cylinder 3 Misfire

03-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
IcedBlitz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Cylinder 3 Misfire

Hi Everyone,

After cleaning my intake valves, changing my OFHG/OCHG and replacing the water pump/thermostat on my car, I experienced a cylinder 3-misfire almost immediately.

I re-assembled the car yesterday, drove it around 2 miles and it just cut out at a stop sign without any warning. I had difficulty restarting it, as every time I tried, the revs would almost instantaneously get too low and the car would stall. I was able to put one foot on the brake, one foot on the accelerator and rev the car while simultaneously starting it.

Eventually, I limped the car home, but it ran very rough the whole way.

This morning, I swapped all the coils, reversing the order (from 1-2-3-4-5-6 to 6-5-4-3-2-1) and the misfire did not follow the coils. I ran the car for a minute or two and cylinder 3 is still misfiring. It seems to run better than it did yesterday, but the misfire is still quite apparent.

I wonder if there is some correlation between the work I just did and the misfire. I initially thought that I might have loosened a coil during reassembly, but that is not the case. Perhaps it is just a coincidence? For the two miles I drove after everything was put back together, it ran flawlessly.

The spark plugs were last replaced around 30-35k a couple years ago. I am at 65k now. The coils and injectors are original.

I am thinking about ordering a set of spark plugs and swapping those out.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? If the problem persists with the new plugs, I might just swallow my pride and bring the car to a dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0