E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d rattle when cold

06-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

335d rattle when cold

I have the 2010 facelift 335d and wanted to know if these engines are a little noisy when cold for the first couple of miles and then quieten down / run smoother. I haven't had a diesel for many, many years and wasn't sure what I should expect. TBH outside the car it sounds "softer" than inside the car where I tend to hear the mechanical noise of the diesel more. Is this normal ? Once fully warmed up it sounds better all round.

My car has done 23k miles and runs like a real beast otherwise and really pleased with it.

My mates new 640d is quieter, especially in the cabin but guess thats due to better soundproofing.
      06-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I have a 2008 335d (82k miles) and it doesn't sound 'clattery' even from cold start up, well maybe a little for the first second or so.

From outside you can hear it's a diesel, but not in an unpleasant way like some 4 cylinders. From inside, even when cold, on a light throttle you can hardly hear the engine and under accelleration gives a quite pleasant growl.

I've driven 2 other 335ds, one of them sounded the same as mine, the other a little noisier but not to the extent it would give rise for concern.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard3 View Post
I have a 2008 335d (82k miles) and it doesn't sound 'clattery' even from cold start up, well maybe a little for the first second or so.

From outside you can hear it's a diesel, but not in an unpleasant way like some 4 cylinders. From inside, even when cold, on a light throttle you can hardly hear the engine and under accelleration gives a quite pleasant growl.

I've driven 2 other 335ds, one of them sounded the same as mine, the other a little noisier but not to the extent it would give rise for concern.
Maybe I just need to get used to the different "cabin" sound than I am used to with petrol engines.