E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > K&N filter

07-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #23
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
yip, sure have. The shipping was 15 bucks, make sure that that's the filter for your car, I just did a quick search, so I'm not positive if that's the correct filter for your 328i.

when you press "buy", the shipping charge won't be added, but soon after, a salesman will email you to let you know how much the shipping will be, and if you'll authorize it, if yes, they'll add the shipping charge to the total, if not, then they'll cancel the order.
thanks man! i think i will order and give it a shot, only about $60 shipped, not much to lose

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #24
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Eric,

let me know what difference you feel/hear when you drop it in your coupe. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I have the K&N filter on my N52 325i. There is a subtle increase in intake sound especially when you're dropping the hammer, but that's about it, I think. There might be some improvements in response or fuel economy but those must be insignficant enough for me not to notice at all.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #26
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
Eric,

let me know what difference you feel/hear when you drop it in your coupe. Thanks
sure, ill keep you guys updated, i already have an exhaust, so i am sure the filter should compliment it pretty well

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #27
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
> Whats the logic behind this?

K&N allows more and larger grit particles to pass compared to a stock paper filter - some bigger than the thickness of the oil film in your bearings.

These particles sandblast your valves, stick to the oil film on the cilinder wall and sand down the rings while they're scraped into the sump.

This is evidenced by an increase of metals and sillica (sand) in the oil after fitting a K&N.

How much more wear is very much dependent on how much dust there is in the air.

For most people it's a fairly slow degenerative process, and you're not likely to wreck your engine before the lease is up unless you live near a beach or desert.

> More air comes in, forcing your engine to make more power,

Not really, the filter isn't the most restrictive part in the intake. In fact, you're likely to get the same torque and hp results on a rolling road if you take the filter out alltogether.

> I guess the PROcede or exhaust modifications must make the wear metals sky rocket.

Not at all.
I am sorry to Flame, but this is just not based in fact. K&N filters do NOT allow larger particles in, oiled gauze filters trap as much, if not more than paper elements. They just do it more efficiently. You need to do some research, like K&N has been doing, many, many years worth, before you make claims like that.
I have been using these filters in Motorcycles and cars for 15 years. NEVER an issue. And I twisted the hell out of my last bike, you want to talk about intake sound, you should have heard it at 13,000 rpms! If a 998cc engine putting out 180hp can't tear dirt through a K&N, it wont happen in a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #28
Str8EJ
Master of Ceremonies
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Jet Blk/Blk/6Spd

yeah, i agree with the post above.
i don't work for k&n, don't really give a sh*t about them, but seems as though you're trying to pass your opinions off as facts.
please list your sources (silica particles finer than oil film @ bearings, filter not the most restrictive element in the intake tract, evidence of increase presence of silica/metals in oil, etc.).

fwiw - oil impregnated filters should be used cautiously in maf sensor'd cars. [edit]
see post below for add'l info.

Last edited by Str8EJ; 07-13-2007 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #29
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

Oil from filters is generally a problem if you over-oil them. All the issues I've seen have been after someone's cleaned and re-oiled their filter. I had on in my Ymaha R1, and that thing pulled air through the ducts so feirce it felt like it would rip your hand off! After 14,000 VERY hard miles, no oil anywhere in the intake track, no dust or dirt either (after the fliter that is). I have never had a MAF issue, but K&N's site says you can totally immerse a MAF sensor in their oil with no ill results.

I definitely don't work for K&N, but have always used them. I personally don't think it adds any HP, but throttle response is vastly improved. Night and Day.
On my Motorcycle it was more prominent. As a matter of fact the ECU had to be re-mapped if you add a K&N and just a Muffler. The air flow was that much improved. Bikes don't adjust to airflow. (no MAF sensor) Again, apple and orange, but they work. Throttle responds right now quick.
FWIW on my E90, I didn't notice as distinct a difference as in my coupe. I would highly reccomend the charcoal filter removal as well. See below. It makes a difference as well. If you're adding a K&N, you want that crap out of there too. It does nothing but add restriction. Oh, and stop gas vapors from escaping when you shut the car off! Give me a break.
Here ya go.... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...filter+removal
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #30
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMD1709 View Post
Oil from filters is generally a problem if you over-oil them. All the issues I've seen have been after someone's cleaned and re-oiled their filter. I have never had a MAF issue, but K&N's site says you can totally immerse a MAF sensor in their oil with no ill results.
+1 you can over oil any (cotton) filter & foul up the MAF sensor not just the K&N.

Quote:
I definitely don't work for K&N, but have always used them. I personally don't think it adds any HP, but throttle response is vastly improved. Night and Day.
On my Motorcycle it was more prominent. As a matter of fact the ECU had to be re-mapped if you add a K&N and just a Muffler.
I just installed the GrouppeM (replica) and noticed a difference in sound under a load (acceleration) especially above 3.4K rpm & improved throttle response. a remap of the fuel management system along with a larger throttle body (ie. Dinan) would be a plus.

Quote:
I would highly recommend the charcoal filter removal as well. See below. It makes a difference as well. If you're adding a K&N, you want that crap out of there too. It does nothing but add restriction. Oh, and stop gas vapors from escaping when you shut the car off! Give me a break.
Thats the first logical explanation I have heard for that filter. I have never understood the logical reason for German cars not meeting emission standards here. Have you ever seen some of the back country cars driven here vs. in Germany. As a rule Germans are stupid crazy about the upkeep and looks of there cars.

Test results here:

Independent Laboratory Test Results

In order to verify our filters maintain filtration levels necessary to protect your engine, we test our filtering media through independent laboratories. The testing procedure used in the past was the SAE J726 air filter test procedure established by the Society of Automotive Engineers, however this procedure was recently superseded by testing procedure ISO 5011.

We have included a detailed example of test results using the SAE J726 procedure. These results are for two individual air filters that each demonstrated among the highest overall filtration level we have achieved with our media.

http://www.knfilters.com/images/factstab1.gif
http://www.knfilters.com/images/factstab2.gif

Granted this is from the K&N website. However, I do believe it is poor business to falsify results.

Another fact to consider is cars with after market performance modifications may be driven harder than complete OEM cars. I cant find any data to support this. Also, harder driving has nothing to do with the filters or other modifications.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #31
Div4our
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with my right foot down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
> Whats the logic behind this?

K&N allows more and larger grit particles to pass compared to a stock paper filter - some bigger than the thickness of the oil film in your bearings.

These particles sandblast your valves, stick to the oil film on the cilinder wall and sand down the rings while they're scraped into the sump.

This is evidenced by an increase of metals and sillica (sand) in the oil after fitting a K&N.

How much more wear is very much dependent on how much dust there is in the air.

For most people it's a fairly slow degenerative process, and you're not likely to wreck your engine before the lease is up unless you live near a beach or desert.

> More air comes in, forcing your engine to make more power,

Not really, the filter isn't the most restrictive part in the intake. In fact, you're likely to get the same torque and hp results on a rolling road if you take the filter out alltogether.

> I guess the PROcede or exhaust modifications must make the wear metals sky rocket.

Not at all.
wtf are you on? Where'd you get all that false information?
Sorry but you're very badly misinformed, or maybe you just like to flame k&n?
      07-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #32
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Max has been on a crusade against K&N for a while now, just take a look at his older posts
      07-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #33
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

can someone confirm that the model number for the K&N is correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #34
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

BMC Filters

You guys some consider BMC filters..... They are really high quality, not much more expensive than the K&Ns.

People who installed them (including me) noticed a crisper throttle response.

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/
      07-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #35
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

just checked, none for 325/328/330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
You guys some consider BMC filters..... They are really high quality, not much more expensive than the K&Ns.

People who installed them (including me) noticed a crisper throttle response.

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/
      07-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #36
Booboo12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan 2007

For the K&N filter, is there anything you have to do to the filter like oil and clean it or does it come all ready to be dropped in place of the OEM one?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #37
ChronoJ1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Euro

It won't do jack and clog up your air sensor
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #38
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboo12 View Post
For the K&N filter, is there anything you have to do to the filter like oil and clean it or does it come all ready to be dropped in place of the OEM one?
The K&N Filter drops straight in.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #39
Booboo12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan 2007

Just an update: Dropped in the K&N filter... pretty easy install once you get a T25 wrench (needed an excuse to drive the 4runner again... that thing sure don't corner like the bimmer)... I've gone through two tanks of gas since - still driving my normal ways - and my mileage has gone from mid 17 range to mid 21 range... Nothing else has changed... still WOT at the same spot every day, a/c is still on as always... same amount of highway\city - aka traffic... that's a suprising difference...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #40
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

i installed my drop in 2 weeks ago, dont really hear the difference, but the engine feels smoother throughout the rev band and slight improve in fuel consumption (+1 mpg)

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #41
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

why would you hear anything its the same intake box........

wont do anything but be reusable and might catch more thats it ..

no hp will come from this.

if you want sound you need to change the intake plain and simple.
Appreciate 0