E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Nasty Oil Leak (Video Included)

11-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Nasty Oil Leak (Video Included)

So sometime last week I found out I had a leak. I took it to a mechanic and he said I don't have a leak (which I thought was strange). Well I decided to have a look for myself, and boy was he wrong. Here is a video of what is going on.

Where is my car leaking oil from (2007 335i convertible)? I appreciate any help I could get!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Als3Zo8C2Uno4EC8qSljCS7QfXh0
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Oil filter housing gasket ? Oil pan gasket ?

2007 335i E92 Sport, CIC, 6MT, DOCRACE6266 Spacegray/Black
2009 335i xDrive Black/Black Nav AT Individual
Gf: 2011 335i Xdrive Mpack,Nav AT Alpine/SaddleBrown
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
Oil filter housing gasket ? Oil pan gasket ?
Thanks for your response. Truthfully, I am not sure. Where is either of those located exactly, and how much is it to get it fixed?

In the meantime, I'll do some research on those leaks.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
I'm thinking probably the oil pan is what's leaking if nothing above it is wet. I would also check the oil filter housing.
      11-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM330i View Post
I'm thinking probably the oil pan is what's leaking if nothing above it is wet. I would also check the oil filter housing.
Ok. Everything right there on the bottom is what is wet. Nothing else from the top is. All dry. I
Around how much is it to have that fixed?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
I'm not sure how much but parts shouldn't be that much, your looking at an oil pan gasket and maybe bolts if they need to be replaced, some bolts are 1 time use. the expensive part is the labor to do it, the subframe needs to be dropped do it. find a good indy shop that specializes in BMW's and get some quotes if it is not something you can do yourself.
      11-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
travis94ZX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Oil pan gasket, most likely. If the oil filter housing is leaking, you will have oil down the front of the motor. If the filter housing is leaking, this is a MUST fix ASAP. If oil gets on the drive belt it can break and be pulled into engine behind the crank hub assembly through the seal. This can cause catastrophic engine failure as it will most likely cause oil passage blockage on the pump.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis94ZX View Post
Oil pan gasket, most likely. If the oil filter housing is leaking, you will have oil down the front of the motor. If the filter housing is leaking, this is a MUST fix ASAP. If oil gets on the drive belt it can break and be pulled into engine behind the crank hub assembly through the seal. This can cause catastrophic engine failure as it will most likely cause oil passage blockage on the pump.
Thanks for your response. I don't think I have any oil coming from my actual oil filter housing. The front of the engine is completely dry. It's just wet on the bottom, so I'm guessing its the oil pan.

Next step, gotta get it fixed. Probably going to go with an indy with this one because it looks fairly difficult to DIY it.

EDIT:

Is this a suitable replacement for my problem?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...laEaAm408P8HAQ

Last edited by jeddo45; 11-25-2016 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: EDIT: correct part?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
Matte90330
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

That's how my oil pan looked when it was leaking. It's not really that bad of a diy to be honest
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
So sometime last week I found out I had a leak. I took it to a mechanic and he said I don't have a leak (which I thought was strange). Well I decided to have a look for myself, and boy was he wrong. Here is a video of what is going on.

Where is my car leaking oil from (2007 335i convertible)? I appreciate any help I could get!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Als3Zo8C2Uno4EC8qSljCS7QfXh0
Check your PCV breather hose on top of the backside of the engine. When the valve in this hose stops working, it will spit oil all over the back side of the engine, and the oil will leak all over the bottom part of the engine.

You should replace this hose every 50k to be safe. Rob Beck makes the ultimate PVC valve.

Just clean up the oil mess with brake cleaner, replace the hose and see if the oil leak comes back.

If so, take a mirror attached to a telescopic handle, preferably with a led light attached to the mirror (craftsman makes a nice one), and check the backside of the valve cover near the firewall.

Mileage of your car can be a predictor as well.

Oil pan gaskets usually don't go till well after 100k.

If it's not the valve cover gasket leaking on the firewall side where you can't see the leak, I'd then point to the Rear Main Seal before I'd say it's an oil pan gasket. Rear Main Seals go around 90 to 100k.

The valve cover and OFHG tend to go at about the 90k mark too.

Rear Main Seals probably can't be done or shouldn't be by 75% of most people. It's a very difficult job, and I have yet to find a DIY for an e90, on the net, for this job. You really need a lift but it's not totally necessary. A transmission floor jack will do the trick; it's just harder this way is all.

If it is a rear main seal, plan on spending $1200.00 to get it fixed. If you get it done and that doesn't solve your problem, then it's an oil pan gasket. I wouldn't say you wasted $1200.00 if that is the situation. The rear main seal will go at some point no matter what.

Also, rear main seals can look like valve cover leaks and vice versa.

The OFHG is very obvious when it goes; you can't miss it.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Check your PCV breather hose on top of the backside of the engine. When the valve in this hose stops working, it will spit oil all over the back side of the engine, and the oil will leak all over the bottom part of the engine.

You should replace this hose every 50k to be safe. Rob Beck makes the ultimate PVC valve.

Just clean up the oil mess with brake cleaner, replace the hose and see if the oil leak comes back.

If so, take a mirror attached to a telescopic handle, preferably with a led light attached to the mirror (craftsman makes a nice one), and check the backside of the valve cover near the firewall.

If it's not the valve cover gasket leaking on the firewall side where you can't see the leak, I'd then point to the Rear Main Seal before I'd say it's an oil pan gasket. Rear Main Seals go around 90 to 100k.

Rear Main Seals probably can't be done or shouldn't be by 75% of most people. It's a very difficult job, and I have yet to find a DIY for an e90, on the net, for this job. You really need a lift but it's not totally necessary. A transmission floor jack will do the trick; it's just harder this way is all.

If it is a rear main seal, plan on spending $1200.00 to get it fixed. If you get it done and that doesn't solve your problem, then it's an oil pan gasket. I wouldn't say you wasted $1200.00 if that is the situation. The rear main seal will go at some point no matter what.

Hope this helps
So I just checked out his video of where this valve is located. Will I see a mess of oil on the top engine block too, or does it only leak downward towards the bottom?

Thanks for your response!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 12:10 AM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

Hope this helps
So I just checked out his video of where this valve is located. Will I see a mess of oil on the top engine block too, or does it only leak downward towards the bottom?

Thanks for your response!
You have to factor in wind movement under the engine bay. I'd say Rear Main Seal, if the car is under 110k.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #13
Matte90330
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Factor in wind movement? If you are doing that then how do you think it is the rear main? Everything is covered in oil from the front of the pan all the way to the back, including the steering rack which I doubt oil would get on it from the rear main seal leaking. If there is nothing leaking above the oil pan then the leak is definitely the oil pan. Also I would do the oil pan first it is cheaper and don't do the rear main unless it is actually leaking. Like they say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #14
Matt_335i-1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I had the same problem with my car. I brought it to the dealership and the quoted me $1,400 to replace the oil pan gasket. (My leak wasn't as big as yours so I didn't do it yet)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Looks like an oil pan gasket. The bolts are blue painted (aluminum) so will need new set of bolts. There should be a bolt set part number, look at realoem.com .There may be different set for auto or manual transmission version, so chose correctly. If you have Xi(xdrive) more things will be needed like O-rings and seals for front axle seals/differential.

All that said, if I could tell correctly, your steering rack is also in oil. I suggest you check if you have a separate leak on the power steering lines, connections, in addition to oil pan gasket.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Looks like an oil pan gasket. The bolts are blue painted (aluminum) so will need new set of bolts. There should be a bolt set part number, look at realoem.com .There may be different set for auto or manual transmission version, so chose correctly. If you have Xi(xdrive) more things will be needed like O-rings and seals for front axle seals/differential.

All that said, if I could tell correctly, your steering rack is also in oil. I suggest you check if you have a separate leak on the power steering lines, connections, in addition to oil pan gasket.
I'm starting to lean towards it being the oil pan gasket. As far as the power steering lines, I'll have to look at that later. I dropped the car off at my primary mechanic and I wont have it for a couple of days. Thanks for pointing this out too. I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: So I just came back from my good mechanic friend, and it looks like my car is leaking in multiple places!

It looks like from the oil pan gasket, the PCV valve, and if I heard him correctly, the oil filter housing too, which is really strange because the front of the engine was completely dry!

Anywho, this combined with my leaky radiator it looks like I have cleared the 1K mark!

I'll find out the financial damage tomorrow evening after work.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:40 PM   #18
mrucker71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 x5 3.0i & 2007 335i

Severe engine oil leak

Recently just replaced my oil filter housing gasket and trans cooler gasket.
my 07 335i Sedan has 106k miles and I have a severe oil leak. The dealer told me I had a oil filter housing leak so I repaired that but oil is leaking out the bottom of the car like crazy.
while wiping off the side of the block I noticed the oil pan gasket was hanging about a 1/2 out when I wiped oil off. I don't know of any vehicle the gasket over-laps the oil pan that far. The rubber was very flimsy like fatigued. I gave it a little tug to if it pulled out further but it felt like it was sealed between the pan and block. I think it is suspect. I haven't pulled the covers yet but will this weekend to see if it could be the pcv or main seal. I just don't know but I rather do the pan gasket or pcv. I love driving that car. just trying to get some ideas what It could be.

What do yall think?
Appreciate 0