E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall

12-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #375
adbmw335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Had issues starting my car the last 2 months. Finally check engine light turned on....just had the car completed for recall but they installed the 933 pump. Also asked about injectors and they said it wasn't necessary....should I be concerned?

The paperwork barely had anything filled out with exactly what they performed. I was supposed to receive that certificate being that I'm in CA, but they didn't even provide that nor a sticker...go figure.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #376
ThreeseriesFTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
The pumps may have different part numbers but BMW says they have the same immprovements and that either one can be installed for the recall.

Can anyone tell me how this is any different than what was being done before the "recall"? They were using reman 933 pumps before and still are. They were updating software and continue to do that. They have a new part number but it is basically the same part as before so that doesnt help much. If nothing changed then I wouldnt expect the results to be much different either.
Dont mean to be a "piss in your pool" kind of guy but I had hopes for something to come from this recall and from what I am seeing so far I think this was more of a publicity thing than a real solution. You can remanufacture it, or give it a new name, but in the end it is still the same part.
I'm guessing the software update? They said if the car has never gotten a fuel pump, they'll need to upgrade to the latest, but if they've upgraded recently (this year I suppose?) then all you'll need is a software upgrade. That's what the people on the customer service line told me anyway
      12-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #377
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
Has anyone actually received the recall letter yet?
I recently purchased my 335 (08/10) and decided to call the customer relations dept (800-525-7417) to see if they had MY information. Sure enough.....they didn't - still had previous owner's info. So, if you're not the first owner, you might want to call and see if they have you listed as the current owner; otherwise, you won't see a letter. They said I should receive one "shortly" and if I haven't w/in a couple of weeks to call back or if sypmtoms arise, take it in w/o the letter.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #378
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Got my car back today. Checked the receipt, I got the 446 pump replacement, and new injecters. They didnt have to do anything sowftware wise cause I already had gotten the latest BMW software prior to goign to Dinan S2.

First thing I noticed after pulling out of the dealership is my acceleration is very sensitive now, smoother acceleration, and torque is punchy now.

I use to have choopy acceleration when flooring it in 2,3,and 4th gears. This is no more. Now the sucker is like a sling shot in every gear. Each gear I go into the back end to dips.

Dinan Stage 3 here I come !

Great Job Braman on Okeechobee Blvd WPB
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #379
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I am getting the recall done now. Don't know exactly how I feel about it. I am getting new injectors, which is fine. I am also getting a new fuel pump. My car was still on the original pump with 89k miles!!!! Oh well. Hopefully this new pump lasts at least as long.
      12-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #380
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Has anyone with nav noticed a checkmark with an "i" symbol on the bottom left corner of the nav screen after the recall? What is that?
      12-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #381
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

went to the dealer today. they didn't ask me what i was there for. just showed me where to park, asked for my key fob to scan it, and told me i have three recalls that need to be performed (i'm out of warranty).

that was all. quick and simple.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #382
Rock M4
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / X1 2014 28i Sport L

I did an oil service yesterday at 51000 Km and they did a fuel pump software reprogramming as per the service bulletin "12 83 10RC 0012070300". Everything was fine before with my engine anyway.
      12-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #383
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

When I took mine in they already had it in their computeer that my car was going to be part of the recall and took care of it while it was there fpor something else. I still havent gotten any letter nd I had it done last week. If you havent gotten a letter and are anxious to get it done give your S/A a call and see if it comes up when they bring up your service records like it did with mine,( and ask which part they are using.)
      12-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #384
vgVQ
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

So I went to the dealer today and sure enough i'm on the list for a new pump and software. I am wondering if I should do it or not. It seems that most failures are within 10k miles or so. (this is just from what i've read anyone have data on it?) I have 49k on my car with no current issues (knock on wood) and am not sure replacing my "good" pump with a potentially faulty pump is a good idea. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #385
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgVQ View Post
So I went to the dealer today and sure enough i'm on the list for a new pump and software. I am wondering if I should do it or not. It seems that most failures are within 10k miles or so. (this is just from what i've read anyone have data on it?) I have 49k on my car with no current issues (knock on wood) and am not sure replacing my "good" pump with a potentially faulty pump is a good idea. What do you think?

i've posted this before, but my attitude towards it is the following:

just because you aren't getting long cranks or the occasional limp mode doesn't mean your hpfp is performing up to par. it is a gradual degradation of efficiency. you may be losing horsepower and gas mileage over time without realizing it.

and i believe in the letter sent out to customers, it states that if this recall isn't performed, they can bust your chops in the future for waiting so long (ie use it as an excuse as to why other engine components failed)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #386
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Until I get a letter mines not going in. 15,700 miles with no problems. I'll wait until I'm due for an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #387
Omghi2u
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Took the car in yesterday and told them about the recall and the 443 pump. SA said my car already had the recall done. my pump + software got updated about 6months ago with the 933 pump. told him that i been getting long cranks agian and that i want the new pump installed even though it wasnt that bad really during morning cranks.

got the car back today, and the diag said defective pump, exchange pump with another 933. kinda stupid that they have new 443 pump, and their test shows that my 933 pump failed agian, yet they gave me another pump of the same model. btw, i still havent gotten the letter, and probably wont be getting it since according to their record, i already have it done with that old 933 pump. i probably just going to wait a couple of months and take it back to them in hopes they have used up all their 933 inventory. this was my 3rd pump change, probably another one coming soon
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #388
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omghi2u View Post
kinda stupid that they have new 443 pump, and their test shows that my 933 pump failed agian, yet they gave me another pump of the same model.
they're just following the service bulletin
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #389
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Got the car back with the new pump/injectors. everything is fine so far!
      01-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #390
daysleeprx
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I registered just so I could thank everyone for all this info. I have a 2009 with Dinan S2 software that has basically had the gamut of HPFP problems, and I'm very glad to have found this site with its great info. I emailed my SA with the information I found on this thread, and hopefully will get some results.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #391
ThreeseriesFTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Until I get a letter mines not going in. 15,700 miles with no problems. I'll wait until I'm due for an oil change.
This is like saying "until I get an std, I'm not going to wear a condom. I've nailed 15,000 chicks and I've had no problems"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgVQ View Post
You don't have a good pump. Your pump is faulty, and will break at some point. Replacing it now means to be replacing your faulty pump with a potentially good pump (note, the "potentially" haha)
      01-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #392
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Just dropped my car off for yearly inspection and inquired about having the recall work done, even though I haven't received a letter yet. SA scanned my key (which i haven't inserted into the car for a long time since I have comfort access) and he said it only came up that I needed a reprogram. It didn't mention anything about hpfp or injectors. My car is 12/07 production and has the original HPFP and injectors. When I even mentioned the injectors, he said yeh that's part of the update. Which led me to believe he had no clue what I was talking about, since the tsb is talking about actually replacing them and not a ecu update. Armed with the printouts of the three TSB recall's, I showed it to him and told him if I don't have the updated HPFP I should be getting it. He asked to keep the TSB printouts and said he would look into it.

In hindsight I should have inserted my key into the car to update it maybe....since my miles to next service was also off from the printout and my idrive. I asked him to try inserting the key and rescanning the key. Has anyone else only had a reprogram and keep original pump?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #393
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawdfanatic View Post
In hindsight I should have inserted my key into the car to update it maybe....since my miles to next service was also off from the printout and my idrive. I asked him to try inserting the key and rescanning the key. Has anyone else only had a reprogram and keep original pump?
your last 7 vin numbers is enough for him to extract what recalls are required based upon past service history.

and just fyi my service advisors take the key to the car before scannnig it... they know people have CA and its good practice to put in car first. Not doing so is a sign of a lazy advisor.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #394
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Called BMWNA. And they said according to my information only a reprogram is needed. I reiterated that I'm on the original HPFP. His response is that according to BMW engineers, they have identified the design flawed pumps and that my car was built with the properly functioning HPFP.

After doing some reading of past threads and the tsb's I guess it is possible according to BMWNA that not ALL n54's need to have their pumps changed to 933 or 443, even if they are on original pumps.

1) According to Mike Miller's article. HPFP's in question are made by continental. So if you're car was originally built without that pump than it does not need to be changed to the current ones?

2) according to the TSB's: " If the label is found, the Campaign has already been performed. If the Recall Completion Label is not present, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action."
So if your car is not built with the questionable/flawed HPFP's made by continental than it won't be flagged for HPFP replacement...and won't be changed?

Last edited by turboawdfanatic; 01-04-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #395
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

turboawdfanatic
Mine was a 4/2007 build and before they replace the pump they do the software update, if you already had it then they would have gone with the pump as per the sib.
If you woulld have had the updated software from a month or two ago then you would have probably gotten the pump replaced like i did. People who have had the software done already get pumps, others get software and maybe a pump in the future. Personally, it doesnt make much sense to me(nothing new) and it doesnt seem like they have it narrowed down like they say.
The kicker is that they are the same pumps as before the recall and it seems like the same software as before also. If it were a different software then they would put that in cars that had it done months ago.
If everything is the same as it was before then I would expect the results will be the same also but with the price of porkbellies they way it is, who knows.
      01-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #396
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
turboawdfanatic
Mine was a 4/2007 build and before they replace the pump they do the software update, if you already had it then they would have gone with the pump as per the sib.
If you woulld have had the updated software from a month or two ago then you would have probably gotten the pump replaced like i did. People who have had the software done already get pumps, others get software and maybe a pump in the future. Personally, it doesnt make much sense to me(nothing new) and it doesnt seem like they have it narrowed down like they say.
The kicker is that they are the same pumps as before the recall and it seems like the same software as before also. If it were a different software then they would put that in cars that had it done months ago.
If everything is the same as it was before then I would expect the results will be the same also but with the price of porkbellies they way it is, who knows.
There are people with original pumps, that said they got both HPFP and update at the same time, or that the dealership said they're car calls for it. I was under the assumption that all n54's that didn't have the latest 933/446 pumps got them replaced. I guess that's not the case and unless you're original pump is the continental made pump in question you don't get a new one. Which leads me to question which PN hpfp my car was built with, who it was made by, and whether the 933/446 are remans of my original one?
Appreciate 0