E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding at a mechanic

01-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i 6MT

Coding at a mechanic

Hi all, hoping for a bit of help on a possibly obvious question. My mechanic is a licensed BMW tech and has the computer equipment to connect to the OBD and flash/update/code whatever. I have no idea what this interface looks like or it's capabilities, but I assume it is the same thing the dealer has? He told me he has to pay BMW $40 to "activate" access to it for a 24-hour period, but if I wanted to pay for it I could sit in front of the computer and do whatever I want. Can all of the coding that you all do here be done from the BMW interface? If so, are the codes the same, or easy to figure out? I don't want to pay $40 and sit down and realize I can't do anything or can't figure out wtf I'm doing. Any advice is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You can't code with what he has that I think your describing. What he has is Online ISIS which can't code the options that your looking for. It can give your FSC codes to allow for retrofits and stuff but coding like VIM video in motion and windows mirrors with keyfob can't be done with that software.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i 6MT

Ok that's kind of what I was wondering, thanks. I was trying to decide if I want to spend $40 at the mechanic or just buy the coding cable and do it myself. The DIY is easy to follow and I'm not afraid of messing with the coding myself so I'll probably just go ahead and do it.
Appreciate 0