E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Custom Headlights: Thoughts?

10-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #45
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDecals View Post
Looks fantastic!
Thanks bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ka View Post
These look great. Did you have problems getting the LCI xenons to properly work on your preLCI? What parts did you need besides bulbs, ballasts, LED corners.... did you need any special wire harness?

I just completed my LCI front msport conversion on my preLCI and it looks great besides the damn prelci ambers on xenons
I swapped in a frm2 and coded the lights to work. You have to swap pins 5 and 6 in the headlight to make the highbeams work. Also there's two wires inside that you need to tap.

Do those three things and it's as good as OEM. No special anything. You can get the AE as DRL, welcome lights, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #46
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDecals View Post
Looks fantastic!
Thanks bud!

Quote:
These look great. Did you have problems getting the LCI xenons to properly work on your preLCI? What parts did you need besides bulbs, ballasts, LED corners.... did you need any special wire harness?

I just completed my LCI front msport conversion on my preLCI and it looks great besides the damn prelci ambers on xenons
I swapped in a frm2 and coded the lights to work. You have to swap pins 5 and 6 in the headlight to make the highbeams work. Also there's two wires inside that you need to tap.

Do those three things and it's as good as OEM. No special anything. You can get the AE as DRL, welcome lights, etc.
Do you have an LCI rear conversion.... or LCI LED tail lights? Does that matter at all w getting headlights to function properly. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #47
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Do you have an LCI rear conversion.... or LCI LED tail lights? Does that matter at all w getting headlights to function properly. Thanks again
I just went with a pre-lci m-tech as the rear has nothing to do with the front. You can get the LCI tails and code those too(frm2), you just need to get a LCI trunk (the inside pieces are a different shape).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #48
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60 w/M-Performance ki

Did u have oem halo?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #49
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paprmkr View Post
Did u have oem halo?
I did, but I replaced them with umnitza v4.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #50
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep

i have 07 325i and AE are too dim. i replaced bulb to LEDs but outside ring still not bright. i have Umnitza leds on my E38 & E46 and are so bright. and had them for longtime.
i really like the brightness of your Halos. was it difficult to replace? i did mine on other bmw but just wondering any watchouts etc...
coding to car after install?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #51
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
i have 07 325i and AE are too dim. i replaced bulb to LEDs but outside ring still not bright. i have Umnitza leds on my E38 & E46 and are so bright. and had them for longtime.
i really like the brightness of your Halos. was it difficult to replace? i did mine on other bmw but just wondering any watchouts etc...
coding to car after install?
If you already have AEs then you shouldn't have to code anything if you decide to put the Umnitzas in. If you want the AE as DRL, then you need a frm2 and coding. However, I think you should be good since you've done it twice already. Just crack them open, take out the stock rings, and install the led rings. Oh I'd wear gloves and touch the chrome shrouds as little as possible or just paint them. I obviously chose the latter.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #52
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

Very clean setup!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #53
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
If you already have AEs then you shouldn't have to code anything if you decide to put the Umnitzas in. If you want the AE as DRL, then you need a frm2 and coding. However, I think you should be good since you've done it twice already. Just crack them open, take out the stock rings, and install the led rings. Oh I'd wear gloves and touch the chrome shrouds as little as possible or just paint them. I obviously chose the latter.
thanks but not clear on why FRM2? i currently have my AE as DLR option. I have the adpative option on my car. i am able to turn option on (DLR) on the nav screen info page.
i guess once i open the headlight i will see more on putting in the Umnitza AE
thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #54
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
thanks but not clear on why FRM2? i currently have my AE as DLR option. I have the adpative option on my car. i am able to turn option on (DLR) on the nav screen info page.
i guess once i open the headlight i will see more on putting in the Umnitza AE
thanks again
Oh ok. See I did a halogen to xenon conversion. That's why I needed the frm2. If you already have it then just replace the rings and you'll be good.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #55
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep

any pictures of installation

Quote:
Oh ok. See I did a halogen to xenon conversion. That's why I needed the frm2. If you already have it then just replace the rings ad you'll be good.
i dont think i can do the upgrade then. thinking about it i have bulb that illuminates my AE. but i which i can brighten up my AE. I installed LED bulb from Noyka already but not as bright as my Umnitza LED on my E38 & E46. one day i will upgrade to LCI headlights those have both rings super bright. I have the rear end of a 335i coupe which i will install soon. my wish list is like i mentioned install the LCI headlights which i would need to change out front bumper unless i can only change out the headlight lens, also on list is the CIC nav and shift paddles.
have good day
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #56
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
i dont think i can do the upgrade then. thinking about it i have bulb that illuminates my AE. but i which i can brighten up my AE. I installed LED bulb from Noyka already but not as bright as my Umnitza LED on my E38 & E46. one day i will upgrade to LCI headlights those have both rings super bright. I have the rear end of a 335i coupe which i will install soon. my wish list is like i mentioned install the LCI headlights which i would need to change out front bumper unless i can only change out the headlight lens, also on list is the CIC nav and shift paddles.
have good day
I don't understand why you don't think you can upgrade the rings. I put rings in a LCI headlights which also has a bulb that powers the AE. Also, the LCI headlights for an e90 fit on a pre-lci bumper. You can trust me on that, I did it.

When you say you have the 'rear end of a 335i coupe', does that mean you converted to dual exhaust? The CIC nav would be awesome. I wish I opted to have nave in mine when I picked it up. Paddle shifters are simple to put in but to expensive for it to be worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #57
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep

Nice then. I will be installing the rings. Thanks for the info.
Yes I will install the dual exhaust. Also found way to install another dual tip on left side on my current bumper. Some mod will need to be done to make it look oem. That would be different but I have the 335i bumper already. Getting it ready for paint. But Nov is too busy for me. Too much OT and traveling to South Carolina for 10 days. So hope Dec will be the time I do work

Quote:
I don't understand why you don't think you can upgrade the rings. I put rings in a LCI headlights which also has a bulb that powers the AE. Also, the LCI headlights for an e90 fit on a pre-lci bumper. You can trust me on that, I did it.

When you say you have the 'rear end of a 335i coupe', does that mean you converted to dual exhaust? The CIC nav would be awesome. I wish I opted to have nave in mine when I picked it up. Paddle shifters are simple to put in but to expensive for it to be worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #58
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Nice then. I will be installing the rings. Thanks for the info.
Yes I will install the dual exhaust. Also found way to install another dual tip on left side on my current bumper. Some mod will need to be done to make it look oem. That would be different but I have the 335i bumper already. Getting it ready for paint. But Nov is too busy for me. Too much OT and traveling to South Carolina for 10 days. So hope Dec will be the time I do work
Not a problem. Exhaust sounds sweet. I'd like to see some pics. How much it run ya? Do you drive or fly to SC? If you drive, on your way home, we should meet up, I'd love to see your ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #59
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep

Fly. To long drive from California. But one day I would love to do so.
I bought bumper and exhaust from a kid that removed it from 2010 335i cus he went with aftermarket bumper and exhaust meh wanted $125 for both. I drove 340 miles to get it ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #60
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Fly. To long drive from California. But one day I would love to do so.
I bought bumper and exhaust from a kid that removed it from 2010 335i cus he went with aftermarket bumper and exhaust meh wanted $125 for both. I drove 340 miles to get it ASAP.
Oh I thought that the Ca was for Canada.

Damn that's a good deal! I'd do the same!
Appreciate 0