E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > superchips remap, how do they stack against the forum main players

06-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

superchips remap, how do they stack against the forum main players

superchips vs Evolve, EMaps, DMS

DMS is obviously the most expensive
Think Superchips might be a bit more than Evolve, EMaps, but do they do enough R&D, testing etc.?
      06-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

If we're talking about the switchable Bluefin it's superb. Had it on my Audi 2.0TFSI Quattro. OEM+ would be the best way of describing the power delivery. Excellent customer service from Superchips too.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks. is bluefin just a handheld device which has a superchips map and standard on, or is bluefin map different to standalone superchip map?
      06-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Had their stuff on a few cars - and Bluefin on two .... very good maps. Didn't like the way it made my 320d auto gearbox react ... but the power delivery /map was excellent ... just didn't suit the 320d .... maybe try it on my 330d LCI in due course
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

so no real negative for their current maps.

i do like that they aren't chasing big numbers as the online bhp and torque estimate increases aren't like some others which are big/ optimistic/ pushing the car to it's boundary.
      06-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

These companies costs for re-mappling a car are ludicrous. I've used an independent guy for about 7-8 years now and his maps give the same results as the big players - for half the price.

I know people go on about warranties and the like...but the simple truth is, if you're that worried - leave it stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1tse View Post
so no real negative for their current maps.

i do like that they aren't chasing big numbers as the online bhp and torque estimate increases aren't like some others which are big/ optimistic/ pushing the car to it's boundary.
The Superchips Bluefin remap on my DSG Golf GtI Edition 30 taking it from 230 bhp to 300bhp was simply the best mod I have ever had ... it made it the quickest car I have had this side of my TVR Griffith 500 and was very manageable .... unlike other maps that bring everything in early to make it feel quick.

They may not be the "biggest" maps out there but they are very good. I didn't like the way it worked with my 320d but that was a personal thing. Their map, backup and atitude to the market has impressed me. I have had about 5 maps from them and only one didn't suit me - and they refunded me without question.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

do you know if superchip map is the same as bluefin superchip?
      06-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #9
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

As I understand it, Bluefin, is a handheld unit that holds the Superchip remap and allows you the user to upload via your OBD port to save having to visit a dealer.

The reason the Bluefin is not available for all cars is more to do with how Superchips needs to program your original ECU. Seems to be that Bluefin is only available for newer cars.

As I understand it you can get a Superchips dealer to download the map for you, even if Bluefin is avaiable for your car - which says to me that they are the same map.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
thanks. is bluefin just a handheld device which has a superchips map and standard on, or is bluefin map different to standalone superchip map?
The way it worked with my Audi was that you purchased the handset, plugged it in to the car and copied the stock map. You then connected the handset to your PC and sent a copy of that map to Superchips. They then send you their performance map via your PC to the handset. Plug that into the car and do the switch. You have the stock and performance maps on the handset at all times allowing you to change when you want. If performance maps for your car are tweaked by Superchips then new versions are sent to your PC for you to update the car. You deal solely with Superchips HQ.

As I understand it there are Superchips dealers all around the country and I guess they can do a flash or physical chip change but that wasn't for me. I had a bad experience with one of their dealers prior to getting the Audi and it put me off.

Unfortunately Bluefin isn't available for my car or else I'd already have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
The way it worked with my Audi was that you purchased the handset, plugged it in to the car and copied the stock map. You then connected the handset to your PC and sent a copy of that map to Superchips. They then send you their performance map via your PC to the handset. Plug that into the car and do the switch. You have the stock and performance maps on the handset at all times allowing you to change when you want. If performance maps for your car are tweaked by Superchips then new versions are sent to your PC for you to update the car. You deal solely with Superchips HQ.
Yep, you are correct.
The maps applied via the Bluefin device are the same as one of their 'dealers' apply.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

Say for the 535d why are prices for just map the same as the bluefin I think online, is that right?
      06-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #13
rs939
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325d with Bluefin

I have the bluefin on my car, its good not tried the other maps to be honest it does feel like its mapped on the safe side. I had the unit from another car and moved it over for £150 thats the only reason why its on the car. If I hadn't had it then I might have gone with one of the others.
      06-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #14
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Say for the 535d why are prices for just map the same as the bluefin I think online, is that right?
The map is done with the Bluefin device if it works on the car in question. You could have just the map - but they will use the Bluefin device to read your map and then load the new one. If you want to walk away without the unit then I am sure they would let you

I went to Superchips HQ twice - with a Golf GTi and a BMW. Both times the car is mapped using the Bluefin device ... I only went there so I could see the before and after runs on their rolling road.

FWIW -

Golf GTi Edition 30 DSG... before Bluefin/map was 229bhp. After 299bhp.
BMW 320d auto ... before Bluefin/map was 177bhp. After 215bhp.
Appreciate 0