E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Single Turbo Kit Interest Still?

02-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

I would like a tuning option more than a turbo that unlocks the computer like this. Coming from GM with tuning like the EFIlive I miss the options that were open to me. As well id like tuning option for the auto transmission as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #24
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Interested in Trans Tuning...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #25
Deemo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Wow! Very nice
      02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335is

I've installed a ETS kits on a friends' supra and the kit was nice and pretty complete. The fit and finish was top notch and if they could do what they've done for other platforms I think it would be great for the community! Hopefully this happens...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holshot
I've installed a ETS kits on a friends' supra and the kit was nice and pretty complete. The fit and finish was top notch and if they could do what they've done for other platforms I think it would be great for the community! Hopefully this happens...
Tuning is the issue, not hardware. What they think they have for tuning is not going to get them anywhere. Needs custom programming...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Will it be VIN locked? If so, how do we un-VIN lock it when it comes time to resell? If this can be something similar to BAV tool and be able to register 3 VIN's + the option to purchase additional VIN's, that would be cool!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #29
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
Tuning is the issue, not hardware. What they think they have for tuning is not going to get them anywhere. Needs custom programming...
Correct tuning is the issue. We will begin hardware testing and tuning in the next couple of weeks. It does look like we still have interest in this market. In the end there is a chance that it will just not work, but we will give it our best shot. A true stand alone would be best, but right now we don't have that option.

We have a couple tests using the factory turbochargers and o2 placement in the next couple of weeks that will give us a look into how feasible the tuning solution is. If we can get the car to run correctly with our o2 placement there is no reason why a single kit wouldn't be feasible with post o2 sensors.

This software is not for the factory TCU.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

Here is a little sneak peak of our turbo kits we build for the GT-R. I need this for my 335i

lots more pictures here.

http://www.facebook.com/ExtremeTurbo

Thanks!

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

those are sexy
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #32
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
Correct tuning is the issue. We will begin hardware testing and tuning in the next couple of weeks. It does look like we still have interest in this market. In the end there is a chance that it will just not work, but we will give it our best shot. A true stand alone would be best, but right now we don't have that option.

We have a couple tests using the factory turbochargers and o2 placement in the next couple of weeks that will give us a look into how feasible the tuning solution is. If we can get the car to run correctly with our o2 placement there is no reason why a single kit wouldn't be feasible with post o2 sensors.

This software is not for the factory TCU.

Michael
Maybe try undercover? Not sure where they stand with PROefi integration. PROefi + ETS single turbo would make for a great conversation
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #33
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

I've been waiting for PROefi for a long time now Over a year. Recently I did see a car on the other forum getting some work done. But I don't think it's ready yet. We have been able to build this kit for years now, just need the tuning solution.

In 2008 we built the first e90 turbo kit for a 330i for HPF. We had everything but a tuning solution

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #34
rezin23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335

These kits are taking way to long. I'm getting close to selling the N54 and never buying a BMW again.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Michael - if you would like I can save you some time on stuff. WinOLS has been a viable option for a while. It does a few things pretty well (table discovery automation etc) but you are missing a few HUGE components that will make tuning a car past certain thresholds very difficult. I tune standalones, flash tunes (open source or cobb or w/e allows end user interface), and even piggy's if they are advanced enough (haltech's etc). I am not just a Cobb Tuner (even though they are one of the more organized and advanced tuning solutions on multiple platforms) so this isn't a tuner war comment - but more of a "this is not something that software is strong enough to do for multiple reasons". Some of those reasons I will not get into because it isn't my place to discuss intellectual property of others - but none the less...focus on the hardware and let the end user deal with a tuning solution Just trying to save you guys money on R&D that will lead down a road I can explicitly describe to you privately. I use ETS hardware on multiple platforms (loved the 6262 kit I put on a friends EvoX last year) and obviously support you guys - so there is my 2c.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #36
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

Jake - I have known you for a long time now and you have never steered me in the wrong direction I'm not sure we would sell many kits if the end user had no way to safely run them

You know how bad I want to build the kit, but the R&D time is very important to me right now with all the platforms we are in. If we don't have a tuning solution I feel it will be a flop.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezin23 View Post
These kits are taking way to long. I'm getting close to selling the N54 and never buying a BMW again.
I've been in your same boat, at least once i week i start surfing for a new daily driver because i want more power. This platform is not that far away from being a power house.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
2000max
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 Evo RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@PTF View Post
Michael - if you would like I can save you some time on stuff. WinOLS has been a viable option for a while. It does a few things pretty well (table discovery automation etc) but you are missing a few HUGE components that will make tuning a car past certain thresholds very difficult. I tune standalones, flash tunes (open source or cobb or w/e allows end user interface), and even piggy's if they are advanced enough (haltech's etc). I am not just a Cobb Tuner (even though they are one of the more organized and advanced tuning solutions on multiple platforms) so this isn't a tuner war comment - but more of a "this is not something that software is strong enough to do for multiple reasons". Some of those reasons I will not get into because it isn't my place to discuss intellectual property of others - but none the less...focus on the hardware and let the end user deal with a tuning solution Just trying to save you guys money on R&D that will lead down a road I can explicitly describe to you privately. I use ETS hardware on multiple platforms (loved the 6262 kit I put on a friends EvoX last year) and obviously support you guys - so there is my 2c.
Jake, I can certainly see your point but since the currently available tuning solutions have thus far dictated header design and placement of the o2 sensors I feel that it would be premature to build a kit before pursuing this alternative path further. I understand that this may not be a new approach but who knows what can happen in someone elses hands.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #39
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

Give us a couple weeks and i'm hoping I can surprise you guys with our findings. I'm very optimistic. The tuner and I both want to make this project work, so if the solution doesn't work out of the box, we are going to try our hardest to find a solution that will work

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #40
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Why not just do a larger twin upgrade like upcoming Vargas Stage 3? More the merrier from a customer standpoint at least.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

Nice to see a local shop with a solid breakthrough!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #42
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Why not just do a larger twin upgrade like upcoming Vargas Stage 3? More the merrier from a customer standpoint at least.
This maybe what has to happen if the tuning of the banks can not be figured out with the stock turbocharger. It would be much easier to run two smaller turbochargers. But the potential of a single turbo setup is much greater.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #43
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000max View Post
Jake, I can certainly see your point but since the currently available tuning solutions have thus far dictated header design and placement of the o2 sensors I feel that it would be premature to build a kit before pursuing this alternative path further. I understand that this may not be a new approach but who knows what can happen in someone elses hands.
The problem lays in logic control. Separating the widebands after the turbo requires rewriting the logic of the DME to allow both banks to fuel identically because they will be seeing identical mixtures. This means they need a way to actually change code on the ROM and not just tables. While it is great to talk about - its a very different thing to be successful. Cobb has a lot of custom code for many different things in their flash. Things written to allow them to do things the dme did differently or limited or didn't want happening to limit power output. I hate sounding like a pessimist but its experience talking and knowledge of what is going on - not just hating. I love ETS. I use their products on multiple platforms for 700+hp applications.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #44
CaliforniaBred
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
I've been in your same boat, at least once i week i start surfing for a new daily driver because i want more power. This platform is not that far away from being a power house.

Michael
Glad to see that I am not the only one on that boat.
Appreciate 0