E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need to replace my shocks, got any recommendations?

04-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #45
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
B12 Pro Kit raised my E91 M Sport about 10 mm. Fucking angry!
Hmm.....

Did you have oem springs or another spring that might have been smaller than the Eibach ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #46
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricapar View Post
I was going to make my own thread, but I might as well piggyback on this one.

I'm also in need of a suspension overhaul. I'm currently looking at the Bilstein B8's:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...=Sport+Package

Not the cheapest, but I figure if I'm doing this work I might as well get something that'll add some extra value to me...

What I'm mostly curious about is: Given that I'm going to be all up in the suspension anyways - what else is worth replacing while I'm there? My local shop noted to me that the lower control arms need replacing, so those are on the list.

Is it worth it to do the upper control arms as well? What about the rear mounts?

Ideally I'd like to not have to take apart the suspension again in a long time
Yes. Replace the suspension if you are serious about realizing the true capabilities of your car.

I completely upgraded my e90 pre-lci 335i sport suspension to M3 suspension bits front and rear, including M3 rear subframe bushings to stop the wiggling from acceleration resulting from my COBB tune, even with my Quaife diff. This is in addition to StopTech brake rotors and pads in anticipation of the higher performance.

Pre-suspension upgrade--on sport suspension:

I got Ground Control coilovers installed on my e90 335i with Koni struts and shocks tuned to Eibach linear springs at 440# front/800# rear. I also installed M3 suspension bits front and back, including an M3 strut tower brace to tighten the chassis. The GC sales consultant worked with me on what I wanted out of a daily driver/occasional track car in terms of handling and budget, giving me terrific advice on optimizing the DD experience without harshness and NVH, knowing that I could take it to the track with confidence.

Amazingly, the ride is surprisingly smooth and comfortable considering the high spring rates, because the tuned Koni shocks/struts work in tandem with the stiffer springs to produce such a pleasing ride that even my wife loves to drive it, and she's no slouch when it comes to driving fast.

The tuned shocks soak up the bumps, yet will allow me to enter long sweepers and on/off ramps at speeds much higher than I could with my old suspension, with absolutely none to little lean, because the suspension inspires higher driving confidence due to the car feeling so planted.

If your ultimate goal is to have the best of both worlds (DD/track), then you should consider this reasonably priced setup. GC offers warranties on what they sell, so you really can't go wrong.

I have this on my ride:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=903/CA=172

You could also get this if you already have M3 control arms:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=809/CA=172

This is what my ride looks like on GC coilovers:

They are good for street and BMWCCA-sponsored HPDE (High Performance Driver Education). I went to Summit Point in West VA and drove the Jefferson Circuit before I upgraded the suspension. It was there I realized that the sport suspension was not sufficient to get around the track in a spirited manner.

I also got a Quaife ATB differential for real LSD capability. Hope this helped.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #47
martinblair
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
B12 Pro Kit raised my E91 M Sport about 10 mm. Fucking angry!
I'm kind of glad that happened to you, only because then I know I wasn't the only one. It was actually 10mm higher than pre install for the first 24 hours, at which time mine settled down to initial height. After a month on my E91, I now sit 6mm lower than stock. I'm puzzled, as I expected more of a drop. Kind of stuck at this point, don't want to switch out springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #48
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post

I got Ground Control coilovers installed on my e90 335i with Koni struts and shocks tuned to Eibach linear springs at 440# front/800# rear.
To be fair, GC didn't "tune" (i.e. re-valve) your Konis. They're OTS.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #49
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
To be fair, GC didn't "tune" (i.e. re-valve) your Konis. They're OTS.
You know, you may be right.

Let me rephrase to say that the Konis were matched to the Eibach spring rates to work together as a cohesive unit. It's a much better solution than trying to do it independently, mitigating the risk of mismatched components that don't work.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0