E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #749
mare92
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Slovenia, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys.
I have an E92, CIC retrofit with emulator from Bimmertech, but the only things checked on emulator sticker are NAV and DVD, CAM and PDC is left unchecked. How do I enable rear camera? Can I modify existing emulator or buy cheap one from eBay and then have 2?
I think BimmerTech is great, but the price for rear camera retrofit kit is a little bit pricey...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #750
vespa
Private First Class
74
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (0)

I believe Bimmertech uses the Carsystems emulator. See if this manual matches your unit and try flipping switches to enable the camera: http://carsystems.com.ua/uploads/pdf...ator_Rev_2.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #751
mare92
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Slovenia, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
I believe Bimmertech uses the Carsystems emulator. See if this manual matches your unit and try flipping switches to enable the camera: http://carsystems.com.ua/uploads/pdf...ator_Rev_2.pdf
Thank you
I am not an expert and don't really where to look, but don't think it's the same as Carsystems? I am willing to pay if someone can work it out with my emulator, I really don't want to add some extra emulator and find out that it doesn't work..
Here is the picture of mine:


Last edited by mare92; 07-20-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #752
vespa
Private First Class
74
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, that looks pretty different. Bimmertech can tell you if it can work or be upgraded, and if not, you can just get the Carsystems module that does all-in-one.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 01:28 AM   #753
bobbychoo
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 325i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Penang, Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Followed this great thread and would like to share some pictures of the splicing method I used. They are "D-sub pins" and saves the effort to solder.

I've plugged everything but not working as it should.
The first time I shift into R, I get a grey screen momentarily. Then it's a solid black screen. From then on, when I shift into R, it's a solid black where the video is supposed to be.

Also, the options at the side works always works. And PDC is always audible and visible on the right side.

I'll have to continue troubleshooting...

bob
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 03:59 AM   #754
E60525d
Captain
E60525d's Avatar
United Kingdom
66
Rep
949
Posts

Drives: E90 BMW 330d M Sport LCI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Does your camera definitely work? I had a similar problem and it was down to faulty camera.

I would plugin another AV source and see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 04:29 AM   #755
bobbychoo
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 325i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Penang, Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Does your camera definitely work? I had a similar problem and it was down to faulty camera.

I would plugin another AV source and see if that works.
Thanks for the tip! Gonna hook up an old PS2 shortly.... keeping fingers crossed!

bob
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #756
E60525d
Captain
E60525d's Avatar
United Kingdom
66
Rep
949
Posts

Drives: E90 BMW 330d M Sport LCI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbychoo View Post
Thanks for the tip! Gonna hook up an old PS2 shortly.... keeping fingers crossed!

bob
Good luck.

Do the opposite too, plug your camera to a TV to conclusively show it works.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #757
bobbychoo
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 325i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Penang, Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Good luck.

Do the opposite too, plug your camera to a TV to conclusively show it works.
Yes! You're right! It was an excellent way to troubleshoot. Thanks man.

Long story:
Plugged in PS2. Nothing appeared. Started tinkering and realised the metal female connector was "too flat". Therefore, when the male connector was plugged in, there was no contact with the female connector. So I increased the kink and voila!

New challenge:
PS2 image was steady as a rock. But the reverse camera was something else. After 3 seconds, the image stuttered (like an old TV which needed a whack). Guess the camera is done for. (I'll try to plug it to another display as you advised).

The other challenge is where to stow away the wire harness...


Lessons learnt:
The guide is accurate. I followed most of it.

I ordered the camera with micro-RCA connector but they delivered the mega-RCA connector. Impossible to go thru the flex cable. So had to slice the cable and re-join it.

I coded the VO into the CAS. No FRM option. NFRM threw errors on my NCSExpert. But it still worked ultimately.

The reverse camera's power was tapped from the reverse light. But the white cable from the module did provide 12v. But I did not use it.


bob

Last edited by bobbychoo; 07-23-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #758
E60525d
Captain
E60525d's Avatar
United Kingdom
66
Rep
949
Posts

Drives: E90 BMW 330d M Sport LCI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbychoo View Post
Yes! You're right! It was an excellent way to troubleshoot. Thanks man.

Long story:
Plugged in PS2. Nothing appeared. Started tinkering and realised the metal female connector was "too flat". Therefore, when the male connector was plugged in, there was no contact with the female connector. So I increased the kink and voila!

New challenge:
PS2 image was steady as a rock. But the reverse camera was something else. After 3 seconds, the image stuttered (like an old TV which needed a whack). Guess the camera is done for. (I'll try to plug it to another display as you advised).

The other challenge is where to stow away the wire harness...


Lessons learnt:
The guide is accurate. I followed most of it.

I ordered the camera with micro-RCA connector but they delivered the mega-RCA connector. Impossible to go thru the flex cable. So had to slice the cable and re-join it.

I coded the VO into the CAS. No FRM option. NFRM threw errors on my NCSExpert. But it still worked ultimately.

The reverse camera's power was tapped from the reverse light. But the white cable from the module did provide 12v. But I did not use it.


bob
Sounds good, great progress.

Why are you using the reverse light for power and not the emulator? Did your AV cable not have a extra single cable built in? I used this to connect camera to emulator.

Are you sure your camera issues is not caused by the reverse light not giving you a solid 12v?

And don't worry about the micro connector. The camera I used didn't have this micro connector but it was half the price. I simply cut the connector, fed it through and resoldered. Did you solder or using some sort of crimp connector?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #759
EB89
Colonel
EB89's Avatar
Australia
247
Rep
2,669
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Australia, NSW

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Got mine working, I'm very happy with it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #760
Knob
30FF
Knob's Avatar
Germany
12
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: E92 335i N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Iīm using an emulator and camera just like on the first page, but I canīt resolve this flickering issue, did anyone have an problem like that?

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #761
Knob
30FF
Knob's Avatar
Germany
12
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: E92 335i N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Short update: FBAS was labeled wrong on the instructions, switched and fixed it
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #762
didisan
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: bmw 530D E61
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Czech rep

iTrader: (0)

Hello all, great thx to the op for this thread (was really long to read !)
i'm tempted to go for it (as soon i update the cic), but i have this inconvenient configuration:
E60 retrofited cic (EU version with nav emulator) WITHOUT PDC, MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
from what i understand, the DIY worked mostly for E90's with auto, with/ without PDC.
did someone with E60 succeded to do it.
i will face many pb ;
-2 emulator pb :
either code cic to match car'vin then get rid of the nav emulator) or the extended emulator.
-E60 cic configuration which i suppose is different from e60.
.....
any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #763
dany74m
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: nissan altima
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Can you Install a back up camera on an E93 convertible 2008 with Idrive, without parking sensors? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #764
Knob
30FF
Knob's Avatar
Germany
12
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: E92 335i N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Sure, you donīt need parking sensors.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:32 AM   #765
dnguyen415
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany74m View Post
Can you Install a back up camera on an E93 convertible 2008 with Idrive, without parking sensors? Thank you
After extensive personal research, it cannot be done. Trust me. I've asked plenty of users and no one can point to a definite instance of a E9X without PDC successfully installing this backup camera setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #766
StevenY.
///M
StevenY.'s Avatar
United_States
124
Rep
2,182
Posts

Drives: 10' SG e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnguyen415
Quote:
Originally Posted by dany74m View Post
Can you Install a back up camera on an E93 convertible 2008 with Idrive, without parking sensors? Thank you
After extensive personal research, it cannot be done. Trust me. I've asked plenty of users and no one can point to a definite instance of a E9X without PDC successfully installing this backup camera setup.
That's strange, there's a number of people in this thread who have gotten it to work without pdc. Only people with problems are people with cic emulators if my memory serves me correctly.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 02:54 AM   #767
FireBlaze
Enlisted Member
7
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (0)

Anyone know of a shop in LA that can do this install with coding? Every shop i call keep trying to upsell their Navtec back up camera system for $700. No thanks...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #768
Maniac0908
Major
Maniac0908's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
1,108
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Silver Spring,MD

iTrader: (2)

Which emulator do i need to use for a cic retrofit with combox and backup camera and maybe sensors
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #769
Joe@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Joe@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
85
Rep
642
Posts


Drives: 2009 335i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnguyen415 View Post
After extensive personal research, it cannot be done. Trust me. I've asked plenty of users and no one can point to a definite instance of a E9X without PDC successfully installing this backup camera setup.
I have coded the backup camera on cars without PDC and it worked. I have seen some faulty cameras and poor choices of power/ground sources cause issues.
__________________
coding@topgearsolutions.com | http://www.topgearsolutions.com | Performance Parts Discount w/ Coding Purchase!

E & F Series Worldwide Coding | DVD in Motion, PPK, Alpina and MORE! | Click HERE, HERE,
HERE for some of our feedback !

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #770
dnguyen415
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
That's strange, there's a number of people in this thread who have gotten it to work without pdc. Only people with problems are people with cic emulators if my memory serves me correctly.
I'm not doubting you. In fact, I would love to be proven wrong. It would just mean I still have a chance to perform this mod on my own car. Can you link someone who successfully did it on a CIC iDrive without parking sensors?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reverse camera

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST