E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > First major snowstorm in NYC

12-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #23
GreenBeret
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E92 335i

I have the lm25 blizzaks and i drove last night at like 12pm after everything dumped and just as long ur below 2k rpm then you were fine!!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #24
Carmine85
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
i hope to god you guys arent out driving on summer tires, When I was driving yesterday I also saw people abandoning cars on the side of the road in CT, and some dumbass in a 328i was trying to pass ppl on the highway and was slipping and whatnot. I was driving my mom's x3 which thankfully got new tires put on earlier this week, so it was fine.

I'm sure its much better today but drive safely guys, I think more has to do with the driver than the tires, but tires def help. ie. you cannot go up a 45 degree incline from a dead stop with summer tires in a RWD car (I saw ppl doing it, needless to say they were the ones creating the traffic)
I hope u were not on the hutch northbound by exit 17 yesterday at around 3:00pm lol. That was a perfect example.

YEAH?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #25
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Pallisides PKWY was a nightmare, no one could climb its hills
I had a lot of fun though
Car with winters fills like tank
Seeing driver faces in SUVs you passed - priceless
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #26
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

got the stock runflats on right now but the car stays in the garage regardless. Suburban FTMFW.

I saw this girl going like 2 mph in an e46 M3 yesterday, car could barely stay in one place.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #27
mwarsh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

can you hurt the car by trying to get out of the snow, when the wheels keep turning and turning? i did it for about 25 mintues?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #28
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarsh1 View Post
can you hurt the car by trying to get out of the snow, when the wheels keep turning and turning? i did it for about 25 mintues?
for 25 minutes?? like unstopped spinning for 25 mins?? lol

btw whats some specs on your car...im always in roslyn, barely see 335's around there.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #29
dselek
2008 BMW 335i Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

I just wanted point out that how great the DTC/DSC works in this terrible snow storm. This is the first winter and first major snow the car performed in. With all that computer aided electronic gadgetry I felt really confident driving the car.
Thank god I changed the tires just in time before this mess. I can't imagine driving around with summer run-flats in this weather (or not being able to rather). After two days driving in the snow I appreciate this car even more.
      12-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #30
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

im not a fan of this weather at all...off topic sorry,

i keep the 3 in the heated garage in this weather and detail with ONR
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #31
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
drove to the mall and around queens today with my girl. blizzaks on the 189s and xi are awesome. felt like i was driving my dad's SUV in the snow. so much control in combination with conscious driving gave us a huge sense of safety. love these tires. don't get me wrong, i can't wait for the spring to change these out for some new rims and summer tires but blizzaks give us great piece of mind for the many winters to come in this car.

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #32
Miltzu
The flying Finn
Finland
Rep
Drives: '07 335i E92

We have not had any bad snow (yet) here in Red Lion PA. But I took off my summer tires already a month ago and have had the stock all weather run flats since then. We had some snow earlier this week and I was a bit afraid how to get out of my development, where I have a stop sign in the bottom of a pretty steep hill. I have seen cars having troubles getting up that earlier. I was amazed that I had absolutely no problems! The only thing I noticed was very subtle fishtailing and the DTC light flashing And my 335 is rear wheel drive.

Personally I do think that in some cases tires and the traction control etc features of the car help you out but in the end it is all about the driving skills. Too often people have false belief that they are "safe" with all wheel drive cars or good tires, when they don't understand that if the car starts sliding on ice or snow there is nothing stopping it, no matter how many wheels you have pulling it. There just are certain laws of physics which can't be broken. Or people give the car too much gas when they try to get out of snow or up a hill and just dig themselves deeper in there.

Try driving the winters in Finland for 10 years and then come here, gives you some perspective
335i coupe :: 2007 :: Black Sapphire Metallic :: Grey Dakota Leather :: Light Poplar Wood Trim :: Premium Package :: Cold weather package :: Black grilles :: Black front mesh :: CF roundels :: GP Thunders 8500k :: 35% tint :: Custom license plate :: 19" Breyton Race GTS silver wheels w/ General exclaim UHP tires :: OEM style Aero lip with CF splitters :: Black reflectors :: CF license plate frame :: Debadged :: Smoked side markers :: Black window trim :: Black DiMisa exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #33
dselek
2008 BMW 335i Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltzu View Post
We have not had any bad snow (yet) here in Red Lion PA. But I took off my summer tires already a month ago and have had the stock all weather run flats since then. We had some snow earlier this week and I was a bit afraid how to get out of my development, where I have a stop sign in the bottom of a pretty steep hill. I have seen cars having troubles getting up that earlier. I was amazed that I had absolutely no problems! The only thing I noticed was very subtle fishtailing and the DTC light flashing And my 335 is rear wheel drive.

Personally I do think that in some cases tires and the traction control etc features of the car help you out but in the end it is all about the driving skills. Too often people have false belief that they are "safe" with all wheel drive cars or good tires, when they don't understand that if the car starts sliding on ice or snow there is nothing stopping it, no matter how many wheels you have pulling it. There just are certain laws of physics which can't be broken. Or people give the car too much gas when they try to get out of snow or up a hill and just dig themselves deeper in there.

Try driving the winters in Finland for 10 years and then come here, gives you some perspective
+1