E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Fountain/Ballpoint Pen recommendation

11-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Ehh.... End of the day, unless you know the guy likes pens and what type he likes its pointless. Skinny pens, fat pens, hugely fat pens, metal, ebony, acrylic, short, tall, fountain, ball point, roller, nib sizes, ink refills, etc. etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Ehh.... End of the day, unless you know the guy likes pens and what type he likes its pointless. Skinny pens, fat pens, hugely fat pens, metal, ebony, acrylic, short, tall, fountain, ball point, roller, nib sizes, ink refills, etc. etc. etc.
lol true. I just thought it would be nice to have a nice pen on his office desk. Perhaps I gotta rethink things here...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
lol true. I just thought it would be nice to have a nice pen on his office desk. Perhaps I gotta rethink things here...
Maybe a nice card holder lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #26
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Yeah, I spent $300 on a MB pen about 3 years ago, and I've used it probably 10 times.

I never use it because I feel like a female douche bag when I'm with or meeting new clients.

I'll sell you mine for $200 if you want. I have 5 refills too. Some black, some blue.

But a pen is such a bad gift, IMO. The person is always like, gee thanks, wow, a pen. How.... Thoughtful. There are much better ways you can spend the $150 to get something more personal and fun.

Unless, of course, the person asked for a pen!

Good luck!

PM me for pen details if interested.
      11-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #27
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

you might want to check out Parker. They are very good quality made pens. I especially like their premier black edition pens. But they may be priced a bit higher than your budget.

check them out here: www.parkerpen.com
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Maybe a nice card holder lol
Lol I will keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Yeah, I spent $300 on a MB pen about 3 years ago, and I've used it probably 10 times.

I never use it because I feel like a female douche bag when I'm with or meeting new clients.

I'll sell you mine for $200 if you want. I have 5 refills too. Some black, some blue.

But a pen is such a bad gift, IMO. The person is always like, gee thanks, wow, a pen. How.... Thoughtful. There are much better ways you can spend the $150 to get something more personal and fun.

Unless, of course, the person asked for a pen!

Good luck!

PM me for pen details if interested.
Hmm...advice noted. I think I'm just gonna get him a nice bottle of wine and a Godiva gift basket for the rest of his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
you might want to check out Parker. They are very good quality made pens. I especially like their premier black edition pens. But they may be priced a bit higher than your budget.

check them out here: www.parkerpen.com
Out of my budget is for sure.
I checked out their pens on some online sites and they are quite pricey. Also, Cartier pens are crazy expensive (even though their watches aren't so bad).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #29
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm...advice noted. I think I'm just gonna get him a nice bottle of wine and a Godiva gift basket for the rest of his family.
Is he a scotch drinker?

As for chocolate check out Fannie May...doesn't have the "snob appeal" of Godiva but IMHO (I only eat dark chocolate anyway) their chocolate is much better

http://www.fanniemay.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #30
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Is he a scotch drinker?

As for chocolate check out Fannie May...doesn't have the "snob appeal" of Godiva but IMHO (I only eat dark chocolate anyway) their chocolate is much better

http://www.fanniemay.com/
I'm not sure. I know he does have a wine cellar though. I have never seen him drink scotch (only wine and beer) so I would have to say no. Thanks for the fannie may link. I will check it out to see what they offer.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #31
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I bought one like this a few years back for 425$

(not mine, found a picture online)

it is the Starwalker by Mont Blanc

always looks good in meetings no matter what the other person is writing with.
I saw it once, loved it, bought it and I don't regret it..
People compliment it all the time..

also, it has a kind of ass pennies appeal to it.
      11-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ damn hella money!! Maybe when I get rich I will buy a Mont Blanc...until then I'm gonna give chocolate and wine as gifts. hehe
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #33
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Is comet one of the richest guys on this forum? seems like it haha
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #34
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
^ damn hella money!! Maybe when I get rich I will buy a Mont Blanc...until then I'm gonna give chocolate and wine as gifts. hehe
for gifts, yeah.. hell lot of money lol
Mont Blancs are nice for oneself
someone was saying earlier that it isn't worth it on pens.. I should have quoted him.. my bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
Is comet one of the richest guys on this forum? seems like it haha
lol pretty sure Blake is..
      06-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #35
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

back from the dead. Trying to choose between a

Waterman Expert -$125

Or the Mont Blanc Generation- $184
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 10:18 AM   #36
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Reviving this thread because about the only thing I got out of my Architecture degree was a love (and hate) for pens. Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph, Staedtler, etc. I've owned them all. Even for normal use I've tried everything from Bic to Cross, and Parker and Mont Blanc. After 50-years of writing and drawing, I prefer Pilot and Pentel over all of those. My favorite BMW Cross set would benefit from being able to use a Pilot refill, but Cross won't do it, and a Mont Blanc won't take anything but theirs. In fact I find Cross and Mont Blanc to be some of the worst writing pens I own. They seem dry and just don't flow like my hand wants them to.

Which brought me to this thread. I have gifted the Pilot Metropolitan pen (ball-point gel, fountain, and even roller-ball). They come in a gift box, have a solid brass barrel available in several colors and designs, write well and feel like quality well beyond the $20 they cost. They use the well-loved Pilot G2 gel refills available in many point sizes and colors. Many of my customers have asked about mine, back when we were sharing pens to sign docs. Still available and I'd check them out if you value the quality of the way the ink flows as much or more than the brand-name recognition. For refills, I find it's almost cheaper to just buy the complete plastic G2 in the color and tip I want and throw out the barrels. Wasteful, but true.

That being said, I have a Mont Blanc Starwalker Metal/Rubber ballpoint just like Comet's above, as-new-in-box with outer box and warranty book. I also have a new-in-package Mont Blanc black medium refill, in case the pen's original is too old. Honestly this is a beautiful pen that is a joy to hold—but it writes just like the Meisterstuck I got as best-man in my brother's wedding over 40-years ago. And I just don't like it as a writing instrument. Any of you guys know a pen forum or web group for trading or selling "fine" writing instruments? It makes no sense for me to hang on to something I don't like using for its intended purpose and—since they seem to have appreciated in value—if it helps my retirement income, all the better.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0