E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rough Idle, stumbling rpms

05-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #221
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten
I think I might have a issue there ... I can see little oilwaste in that area.

PVC and cylinder # 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiss91 View Post
Had a car come in to the dealer with a rough idle during cold start. Turns out his valve cover was cracked near the pcv part. Not likely but worth checking if yours is cracked
Check to see if it's clean oil or used. Some times if you spill a little when filling up the car after an oil change it finds its self a home between cyl's 4-6. It may be a little dirty from being under the cover. Just put a little on your finger you'll be able to tell
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #222
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

The oil that is there is located on the side of the valve cover , towards the cabin wall.
The row with injectors and sparkplugs is all fine , no leaks there.

Will pull the sparkplug on my cylinder #6 today and see if it is wet or dry. Maybe also swap injectors to be sure its a faulty injector in my case.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #223
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Found some info that I would like to share:

IMPORTANT: Injectors with index 10 and lower have a different calibration and construction than injectors with index 11 and higher. Due to this difference, the injectors with index 10 and lower and injectors with index 11 and higher cannot be mixed in the same engine.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #224
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Crap, I just started to get the stumble (it is rare) and only at idle at stop lights. My spark plugs are new from Burger and replaced cylinder #4 coil. Initially car misfired while driving on the hwy and each time you would accelerate it would just put black smoke out (ECL was on), but after few miles car fixed itself and ECL went off. Code read cyl 4 misfire so I replaced the coil, but thinking that is not the problem.

From looking around here it looks like fuel injectors or intake valves although leaning more toward fuel injectors. Anyone have any ideas and if you have a car past injector recall date how did you get them free?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #225
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Had heard someone had good luck with swapping out their VANOS solenoids.

I had the car in for other service, and found that the original ones have been superceded by an upgraded part. I went ahead and had them tossed in.

No dice. Still shaky shaky.

Had some pictures taken of my intake valaves again, and they look terrible. I'm going to talk to the dealer and see if they'll cover another walnut blast. My independent mechanic is asking for a hefty sum.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #226
va335i
Private
Rep
Drives: G07 X7 M50i

Glad I found this thread. I had my plugs changed and the dealer told my Cyl 6 plug looks like the injector is running rich. They want to charge me 2k to replace all of the injectors. My 335i runs rough idle when engine is cold then smooths out. So after reading this thread it looks like they are correct and I have an injector failing. But, what I am curious about is if they have a recall on my injectors. My car is 2007 335i.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #227
Rob S.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nissan GT-R FBO

Cant they just see which injector is bad and replace only that one??
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #228
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Sounds too spendy for injectors. I don't know if it's a recall, but there is a superceding part number.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #229
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

After reading this I'm left wondering what's up with my car as well.

The dealer the HPFP replaced because of long cranks at the beginning of last week. Last weekend I started the car and twice in a row it cranked then died. And it stumbles on startup, like it has to clear its throat as it cranks. The engine physically shakes and it also smells different from the normal sulfur smell.

The dealer says there's nothing wrong but after a cold start, its pretty obvious. It stumbles every once in awhile at idle too.

Don't know what else to do at this point. I'm getting pretty tired of putting this car in the dealer for random stuff. Maybe its just time to move on at this point.

EDIT: Spark plugs were changed about 12K ago. Intake cleaning 10K ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #230
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Cant believe I just read this entire thread...[crossing fingers I never have this]
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #231
wielandgeorg
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe 6AT

Hi guys I have a 2007 335i 6AT jb4 and dp's 92k miles I also had that idle stumble

Yesterday I took it to dealer and my buddy put a new hpfp in it because it had the 2aaf plausibility code u can only read it with computer or jb4 won't trigger a CEL

Idle is perfect now with no bumps

Occasionally it goes up to 700rpm but I'm thinkin that's programmed to do so sometimes

However it has not gave me that stumble since

I also have new plugs less then 10k ago

Oh and my Valve cover gasket was bad at 88k so if ua'll experience leak from side of head it's that.

Thanks good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #232
jlva321
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Rough idle just started on the 2007 335i I bought 6 weeks ago, 75K miles stock except for exhaust flap connection unplugged. The car passed a full CPO inspection and is not throwing any codes, I'm checking with an OBD2 scanner and android app. It drove fine for a few weeks before it started.

So far I've added fuel injector cleaner and done a throttle adaption reset. Temperatures just dropped dramatically here so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Long term I'll look at plugs and coils but it will be at least a couple of months before I get to that (assuming it stays just an idle issue). Then on to intake valves, injectors, and throttle body. I've got most of the service records and I think they stuck with the dealer rather than indies, I can see they had the HPFP replaced twice.

Excellent info in this thread, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #233
jlva321
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I forgot to mention I also tried cleaning the VANOS solenoids, but I can't remember if I switched them around.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #234
Redonred1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Had the same "looking for rpm every 10 seconds" issue.
Was low on gas, put gas, and it went away. Was low in the morning and I noticed the gas smell as well. Filled up last night and no rough idle/gas smell.

Odd cars we have but you gotta love rm! Specially when they go vrrrrooommm
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #235
girliegurl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i SE

Hey All, I'm new to the forum so hopefully I'm posting about this in the right place. In love with my 335i, but it's just out of warranty and I've started having a problem. My car upon cold start idles very rough. The rpm's fluctuate between 500 rpms (almost stalling out) and then shoots up to 3000 rpm's. It's given the check engine light twice while this is happening. I had the code read at autozone and it is P15DF which I saw might be the HPFP. I've been trying to read up on here and have seen that it could be anything from the coil ignition to fuel injectors to vanos solenoids. I will take it to the dealership for the work if it's most likely the HPFP because I read it's covered for 100k miles, but otherwise I want to take it somewhere to get other issues fixed ($$). Has anyone else had this same issue with the same codes?
Oh yeah, and this has been happening for about a month. It drives fine once I actually start driving. As far as gas, I have only been putting in shell V-power for the last few fill ups and same issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #236
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlva321 View Post
I forgot to mention I also tried cleaning the VANOS solenoids, but I can't remember if I switched them around.
I replaced mine. Didn't help.

Car still performs well, so I just live with it now. It's still intermittant, which is maddening, because if it's not a constant symptom, you'd think I'd be able to tie it to some external element (weather, fuel, spark plug life, third day of the week in odd numbered months....)

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #237
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Same issue here for 10 months now. Doesn't throw any codes. Was getting p29f4 and f5, but seems to be unrelated (I replaced LP fuel sensor and vacuum lines).

Based on forum recommendations, I will try pulling plugs when I do my valve cover next month to check for leaky injector. (I wonder if leaky valve cover near the plugs could affect this?)

Also, someone had a loose rear o2 that cause this same issue, worth a look.
      05-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #238
carlsontheflyer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, AW, 6MT of course!

I am glad this thread has been resurrected. My car (2010 e92 335i 6MT) also shows unusual idle behavior. the only mods I have are Cobb AP flashed, Cobb FMIC and BMW axle-back performance exhaust. This behavior persists even when I flash my car back to stock.

After a cold start, my car idles first at 1000, then drops to 800, then to 650, which is absolutely normal. It continues to idle at 650ish until it warms up. When oil temps reach around 200 degrees, all of a sudden my idle goes up to 800 and stays at 800 as long as the engine is warm.

And the entire time, at idle, every 20 seconds or so I can feel a momentary slight engine studder, as if it lightly clears its' throat. No codes what so ever, and the car runs perfectly otherwise. Never stalls, and pulls well at partial throttle, and like mad at WOT.

This has been going on for well over a year, and noone can figure out why. It's been at the dealer several times while under warranty and no problems were found.

However, last December, at around 44k miles, the HPFP failed during a hard pull. It went into limp mode and the code was "Cylinder injection shut-off" (I cannot remember the actual code). I turned off the engine, started it back up after a few minutes and it ran well, no limp mode, but the code stayed.

Took it to the dealer and they replaced the HPFP. At the same time they told me one of the injectors was leaking, so they replaced all 6 injectors with the latest ones, and also all 6 plugs and coils.

The car ran perfectly for a little more than 3 months after that. Smooth idle, and always at 650. But recently, about a month ago, it began doing the same damn thing all over again. I can again feel a slight studder every 20 or so seconds, and again, once the oil temps reach about 200 degrees the idle goes up to 800 and stays there.

Also, the intake and valves were walnut blased at 35k miles, and numerous smoke tests were done to try to find any vacuum leaks, but none were found. The car has 49k miles right now.

I am stumped, and it seems everyone else too. Any ideas?
      05-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #239
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsontheflyer View Post
After a cold start, my car idles first at 1000, then drops to 800, then to 650, which is absolutely normal. It continues to idle at 650ish until it warms up. When oil temps reach around 200 degrees, all of a sudden my idle goes up to 800 and stays at 800 as long as the engine is warm.

And the entire time, at idle, every 20 seconds or so I can feel a momentary slight engine studder, as if it lightly clears its' throat. No codes what so ever, and the car runs perfectly otherwise. Never stalls, and pulls well at partial throttle, and like mad at WOT.
I have this same exact issue 2008 335i 6MT. It started like most ppl here after the plugs were changed.
Recently had 1 bank of injectors and plugs changed for failed injectors but after that fix I still have the high idle/slight misfire (no code) stumble.
One thing to note, once the car goes into 750-800 idle, the car no longer has slight misfire/vibrations.

For a $50k car with only 56k miles you would hope for more reliability, this car has left me stranded 3 times on the road in the past 3 years
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #240
mimik
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi Blue Monaco

I hope this will help everyone with the same problem but I think I've resolved mine. Originally I had only changed one coil because I had one misfiring cylinder on my OBD reader only in that cylinder. So I replaced all six spark plugs but only one coil. When I spoke to someone who knows Bmw's very well he told me that the minute you start playing around with coils, they are so sensitive that even pulling them out and putting them back in on the new spark plug could actually create a fault enough to cause some of the misfires that we've all been experiencing. So my resolution was simply to replace all six coils. I don't know if this will be a final solution as it seems to fixed the stutter for the past 24 hours but I've never had the car not misfiring for the past two months since I change the spark plugs. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #241
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsontheflyer View Post
I am glad this thread has been resurrected. My car (2010 e92 335i 6MT) also shows unusual idle behavior. the only mods I have are Cobb AP flashed, Cobb FMIC and BMW axle-back performance exhaust. This behavior persists even when I flash my car back to stock.

This has been going on for well over a year, and noone can figure out why. It's been at the dealer several times while under warranty and no problems were found.

However, last December, at around 44k miles, the HPFP failed during a hard pull. It went into limp mode and the code was "Cylinder injection shut-off" (I cannot remember the actual code). I turned off the engine, started it back up after a few minutes and it ran well, no limp mode, but the code stayed.

Took it to the dealer and they replaced the HPFP. At the same time they told me one of the injectors was leaking, so they replaced all 6 injectors with the latest ones, and also all 6 plugs and coils.

The car ran perfectly for a little more than 3 months after that. Smooth idle, and always at 650. But recently, about a month ago, it began doing the same damn thing all over again. I can again feel a slight studder every 20 or so seconds, and again, once the oil temps reach about 200 degrees the idle goes up to 800 and stays there.

Also, the intake and valves were walnut blased at 35k miles, and numerous smoke tests were done to try to find any vacuum leaks, but none were found. The car has 49k miles right now.

I am stumped, and it seems everyone else too. Any ideas?
It's spooky how similar your experience has been to mine.

How good are you with running good gas? I've been experimenting with different brands.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #242
carlsontheflyer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, AW, 6MT of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
It's spooky how similar your experience has been to mine.

How good are you with running good gas? I've been experimenting with different brands.
I always use QuickTrip premium gas. It's a top tier fuel and recommended by BMW. I have been using it on all my cars for over 10 years.

My car is still running as I described. I have been logging data in different situations, and I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down (with the help of a couple of knowledgeable members on this forum) to the high pressure fuel pump, or specifically to the IPR (Injection Pressure Regulating) Valve. It sticks and doesn't function properly. Unfortunately it's integrated into the HPFP. I have logged the HPFP values (requested and actual) and they are all over the place, never matching and wildly fluctuating.

The HPFP will have to be replaced (again), but since there are no codes, I'll have a hell of a time convincing the BMW dealership to replace it under the HPFP warranty. My regular factory warranty ended 6 months ago.