E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Winkfp two methods for setup

04-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Winkfp two methods for setup

I found two methods to setup winkfp. Firstly are either required after I already installed the bimmer tool package last year?

If so, the methods differ slightly in the bimmer labs it suggests in step 2 to change some of the settings to 1 from zero and unclick one box. I didn't follow the fast baud rate setting to increase reliability, not sure this is the correct logic?

In the video it imports the assembly line data, and also it states to copy the gdaten folder. Not so in the bimmerlabs instructions.

https://www.bimmerlabs.com/help

Please advise and thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I found two methods to setup winkfp. Firstly are either required after I already installed the bimmer tool package last year?

If so, the methods differ slightly in the bimmer labs it suggests in step 2 to change some of the settings to 1 from zero and unclick one box. I didn't follow the fast baud rate setting to increase reliability, not sure this is the correct logic?

In the video it imports the assembly line data, and also it states to copy the gdaten folder. Not so in the bimmerlabs instructions.

https://www.bimmerlabs.com/help

Please advise and thank you
If you're using the bimmergeeks setup you don't need to do anything other than use the bmw coding tools to import the datens into Winkfp. The settings are correct as is. The only you may want to do, and this is optional, is either check or uncheck write VIN in comfort mode. It just keeps the flash from counting against the flash counter if you leave it unchecked but your VIN won't show in your UIF either.
      04-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Fast baudrate just makes the flash faster. You want to enable that, generally. You don't want boot sector update, it will cause the flash to fail.

if you're flashing with Bimmerlabs you don't usually need to import any daten files, but you would skip the bimmergeeks instructions where it says to delete the folders after the initial installation. It doesn't hurt anything of course to load the daten files.
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      04-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Ok guys, I used the bimmer geeks install but also performed the method in the video. I assume it won't hurt anything?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Ok guys, I used the bimmer geeks install but also performed the method in the video. I assume it won't hurt anything?
I didn't watch the video but I assume it used the coding tool to load the daten for winkfp which is fine. As far as configuration settings, if they look like these then you're good to go.
Attached Images

04-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

disabling boot sector update is a requirement for bimmerlabs flashes
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2019, 05:23 AM   #7
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Quote:
I didn't watch the video but I assume it used the coding tool to load the daten for winkfp which is fine. As far as configuration settings, if they look like these then you're good to go.
Quote:
Quote:
UIF write after program is disabled on the bimmerlab webpage, does it matter?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

it only matters if you're flashing in expert mode (expert mode UIF writes should be off).
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      04-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #9
morrisonuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Hey all, I'm just about to update some modules (in comfort mode) on my e90 and I have the exact same settings in winkfp as the image posted earlier.

Am I meant to uncheck activate Bootsectorupdate? I've only ever seen in guides that you should enable UIF write in comfort mode so you can enter the VIN.

When you say the flash will fail with this checked, will it brick the module?

Also does it matter where you've downloaded BMW standard tools from? You mentioned that bimmerlabs flashes (I'm assuming this is the same as the download from bimmergeeks website?) require this to be disabled. Is this not the same for every winkfp v5.3.1 install?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to be 100% before I flash a module and brick it because I didn't have a box ticked, or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 07:33 AM   #10
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisonuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Hey all, I'm just about to update some modules (in comfort mode) on my e90 and I have the exact same settings in winkfp as the image posted earlier.

Am I meant to uncheck activate Bootsectorupdate? I've only ever seen in guides that you should enable UIF write in comfort mode so you can enter the VIN.

When you say the flash will fail with this checked, will it brick the module?

Also does it matter where you've downloaded BMW standard tools from? You mentioned that bimmerlabs flashes (I'm assuming this is the same as the download from bimmergeeks website?) require this to be disabled. Is this not the same for every winkfp v5.3.1 install?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to be 100% before I flash a module and brick it because I didn't have a box ticked, or something like that.
Bimmerlab flashes are DME software not the actual BMW programs used to flash that software. If you're just going to update some ECU's (dont update anything on the MOST ring without a ICOM) use the Winkfp configuration in the picture. If you want to keep your VIN wriiten to the module have the UIF write in comfort mode box checked.
      04-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
morrisonuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Bimmerlab flashes are DME software not the actual BMW programs used to flash that software. If you're just going to update some ECU's (dont update anything on the MOST ring without a ICOM) use the Winkfp configuration in the picture. If you want to keep your VIN wriiten to the module have the UIF write in comfort mode box checked.
Thaks for the quick reply!

I've had a look at the modules in ISTA-P and I'm assuming the below are the modules on the MOST BUS? I won't be touching the GW and BO modules. I'm not going to be using ISTA-P with my D+KCAN cable to program either. I was just using it to double check the modules that needed updating.

Name:  ISTA-P.PNG
Views: 6451
Size:  14.2 KB

I also noticed in ISTA-P that it does a lot of things after it codes the modules. Do the actions below need doing in ISTA or somewhere after I've updated the modules?

Name:  Actions.PNG
Views: 6379
Size:  30.7 KB

Also when updating the modules with winkfp, does it retain the settings from before the update? Or do you need to back up the FSW_PSW.TRC and NETTODATA.TRC files before flashing to restore them after with ncsexpert?

Again sorry for so many questions, I'm new to this

Last edited by morrisonuk; 04-10-2020 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Bad formatting
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #12
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.nathansbmwworkshop.com/b...or-dean-videos
These are the best video's I have seen on the subject.

Before you do something with Ista-p I would look at the videos
on the above link on the subject and on programming in general.
Diagnostic Manuals Inpa/Ista D
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://carmod.ru/files/icom/istad_en.pdf
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681573
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do
primary links
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...9&d=1539905743
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681573

Also all cars make after 3/07 require a Icom cable for Most Bus module
programming.

You should always back up your files including a complete copy of the car and of
any individual modules you are working on . (on any of the programs)
Ista P is kind of a blunt force tool for this but the video's from the link tell you how
to make it less so. Also the video's tell you that you must have a regulated supply
with high amperage.

Last edited by ctuna; 04-10-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #13
morrisonuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info ctuna!

I'm not going to be doing anything in ISTA-P. I'm just using it as it lays out all the modules and tells you the updates you can do without scrolling through files to find it.

Do you know what modules from my screen shot are on the MOST bus?

I have backups of the FSW_PSW.TRC and NETTODATA.TRC files for all my modules. Is this what you mean by backup the modules, and how do you mean backup the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

IN the tutorials for using NCSexpert when you first read the car
it makes a TRC file that has all the modules combined in it.
Around 256k in size.

I haven't used Winkfp but the tutorials say its suppose to offer
you the updates that are in the daten files for the module you are
interested in . Dr Gini also does this.

GW and the other one are the Most modules. Don't know what BO is.
but that display you have up seem different the Inpa or Ista D.
In Ista D its more obvious what's on the Most Bus because it's
labeled as such.

Most Bus modules TCU, Mulf ,Mulf 2 Hi ,SAT , DAB , CDC, Combox.
IBOC
are the ones I know about .
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
morrisonuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah I see! I'll back that up as well then, thanks.

Yeah winkfp selects the update for the module automatically. I was just using ISTA-P to double check that it was picking the same update. Didn't know Dr Gini could do that as well though! I'll use that, as ISTA-P takes a decade to load on a K+DCAN cable :/

The other one? I can only see GW and BO listed under MOST.

Brill, thanks for listing them! I'm just going to be doing the DME/DDE, EKP, DSC, EPS and CAS I think and I'll check in ISTA-D which of my modules are on the MOST Bus
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 06:41 AM   #16
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Ah I see! I'll back that up as well then, thanks.

Yeah winkfp selects the update for the module automatically. I was just using ISTA-P to double check that it was picking the same update. Didn't know Dr Gini could do that as well though! I'll use that, as ISTA-P takes a decade to load on a K+DCAN cable :/

The other one? I can only see GW and BO listed under MOST.

Brill, thanks for listing them! I'm just going to be doing the DME/DDE, EKP, DSC, EPS and CAS I think and I'll check in ISTA-D which of my modules are on the MOST Bus
None of those modules (DDE - engine, EKP - LP fuel pump, DSC - abs/stability, EPS - electric steering, CAS - car access, key recognition) are connected to the MOST bus.

FWIW, GW is the MOST gateway controller and BO is the "User interface, Navigation". They are not physically separate modules - they are contained within the radio headunit (or CCC/CIC headunit in a vehicle with IDrive). They are connected to the MOST bus but can be accessed via CAN.

Edit: just in case it isn't clear, there is a difference between "programming" and "coding". Programming replaces the operating instructions for a module while coding replaces particular system variables from a restricted set of choices.

You'll notice that in your ISTA-P block diagram, some modules have "P C" listed beneath the module name - that means ISTA-P wants to both program and code those modules.

ISTA/P can do both programming and coding but WinKFP is a tool for programming only while stand-alone coding is done with NCSExpert. Unless you have an ICOM, it is best practice NOT to use ISTA/P for any module manipulations.

When ctuna asked you to "back up" he meant the trc file output by NCSExpert - so that you'll be able to recover 'coding' settings to re-enter later. However, this is not strictly necessary unless you've done some custom coding of your own. All the default settings for your vehicle are specified by the VO (vehicle order) which is stored in CAS and NFRM modules. If you use NCSexpert in "expert" or "expertmoden" or "default" mode (the name can change depending on who put the package together), it will automatically determine the settings to code from the VO. BTW, it is best practice to code modules individually in NCSExpert, rather than the entire car at once, which is an option.

Last edited by dpaul; 04-12-2020 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mobee0.00
      04-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #17
morrisonuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you for all the information dpaul! That's really helpful to know.

I realised after I'd flashed a few modules with winkfp that the .TRC files I have backed up wouldn't be much use if it failed to flash the module. For example after flashing the KOMBI module I could still see the vehicle speed and all settings were still as I set them. To get the vehicle speed you have to code that so yeah thought it must not be the same thing. Thanks for clarifying.

Is there a way to backup the programming or operating instructions for a module in case winkfp screws it up?

I had a horrible experience yesterday after updating the CAS module. I did everything the same as I did on every other module, but when I clicked update ECU and let it automatically find the right update for the CAS3 module. It failed half way through saying it couldn't find an .0pa file that didn't exist and wasn't the number of the update it should have been doing anyway!

Managed to get it back after manually selecting the correct update and flashing that, but like hell I'm going to attempt the DME/DDE module without knowing I can flash back to my original one if all goes tu!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 05:54 AM   #18
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:

I realised after I'd flashed a few modules with winkfp that the .TRC files I have backed up wouldn't be much use if it failed to flash the module. For example after flashing the KOMBI module I could still see the vehicle speed and all settings were still as I set them. To get the vehicle speed you have to code that so yeah thought it must not be the same thing. Thanks for clarifying.

Is there a way to backup the programming or operating instructions for a module in case winkfp screws it up?

I had a horrible experience yesterday after updating the CAS module. I did everything the same as I did on every other module, but when I clicked update ECU and let it automatically find the right update for the CAS3 module. It failed half way through saying it couldn't find an .0pa file that didn't exist and wasn't the number of the update it should have been doing anyway!

Managed to get it back after manually selecting the correct update and flashing that, but like hell I'm going to attempt the DME/DDE module without knowing I can flash back to my original one if all goes tu!
You don't need to backup the programming data because program code is stored in the daten files (which WinKFP requires to operate). Each variation for each module has a unique designation, the ZUSB number (or abbreviated ZB).

The ZUSB specifies the filename (or names; some modules have more than one) in the daten "data" directory that WinKFP will use to flash the module. As you've seen, WinKFP will tell you the current ZUSB and the proposed update ZUSB just before it executes the flash.

An easier way to obtain a record of which ZUSB are currently installed, is to use INPA (E90 -> Select E90 -> Functional Jobs -> <F3> User information field). This will give you a list of the installed ZUSBs for all the modules at on one screen. Caveat: sometimes a user may disable UIF writing in WinKFP so although the files are flashed, the updated ZUSB number is not recorded. In this case, the previous and invalid ZUSB number will be returned. This is not common.

Sometimes, WinKFP can't determine a ZUSB update for you. In this case, it is most commonly a problem with the daten although there are other possibilities. Honestly, when it happens to me it's often because I fat-finger the wrong key. Not sure what happened in your case.
Appreciate 1
Mobee0.00
      04-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
You don't need to backup the programming data because program code is stored in the daten files (which WinKFP requires to operate). Each variation for each module has a unique designation, the ZUSB number (or abbreviated ZB).

The ZUSB specifies the filename (or names; some modules have more than one) in the daten "data" directory that WinKFP will use to flash the module. As you've seen, WinKFP will tell you the current ZUSB and the proposed update ZUSB just before it executes the flash.

An easier way to obtain a record of which ZUSB are currently installed, is to use INPA (E90 -> Select E90 -> Functional Jobs -> <F3> User information field). This will give you a list of the installed ZUSBs for all the modules at on one screen. Caveat: sometimes a user may disable UIF writing in WinKFP so although the files are flashed, the updated ZUSB number is not recorded. In this case, the previous and invalid ZUSB number will be returned. This is not common.

Sometimes, WinKFP can't determine a ZUSB update for you. In this case, it is most commonly a problem with the daten although there are other possibilities. Honestly, when it happens to me it's often because I fat-finger the wrong key. Not sure what happened in your case.
Just an example as to when/why the UIF would not be written during a flash is when the N55 PPK is done. That way, the dealer's system won't detect a system update is required based on the UIF not matching their system's information.
Appreciate 2