E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tech Info: E90 330i N52 Three-Stage Intake Manifold

08-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #837
sameNEWstory
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black E90 328i

Garage List
Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread, I've got a used 3 stage manifold I'm planning on installing on my 328i, and I took it apart to inspect the DISA valves before installing... The large valve is broken, and the small valve appears fine (flap won't move when I wiggle it. I'm wondering if it's worth fixing the large valve with a repair kit, or if I should just replace the entire valve. What is making me consider replacing the entire unit is that the green seals are peeling off... What would you guys recommend. I'm also including a picture of the smaller valve, as that has some wear on the green seal as well...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #838
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

IIRC the repair kit comes with a metal shaft that won't break again - that's what I would do.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #839
minaret
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 ZSP

Garage List
Don't flame me. I searched and couldn't find a post in this thread about using the 3-Stage conversion/ecu flash and passing California emissions.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #840
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

it should pass. the 3-stage is indistinguishable on the outside from the single stage. the only real difference is the manifold has mounting holes for the DISA valves - they are identical otherwise.

the 3 stage also came on cars that meet California emissions like the 330i and 328i with N51.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #841
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Don't flame me. I searched and couldn't find a post in this thread about using the 3-Stage conversion/ecu flash and passing California emissions.

I can confirm that the 3IM does indeed pass california emissions with the AA tune. Actually, I need to go get another smog here in the next couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #842
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

so i did this today.

some comments, maybe covered here before.

1. long DISA connector goes UNDER the intake runners. i had to search more than i feel like i should have for this.

2. short DISA connector goes to outside connector.

you can't plug these in wrong, due to cable length, but i am confirming this as above.

3. intake manifold 11mm bolts and nuts torque to 11ft-lb
3b. i torqued the throttle body to 7ft/lb when installing. not sure if right. but definitely not too little.

4. I removed the throttle body from the intake manifold before pulling the electrical hub underneath. i couldn't get the tabs loose so i unbolted the bracket from the intake.

5. i swapped all sensors from the old manifold to the new one.

6. even if the PCV is different on your donor manifold, your existing tubing WILL bolt up.

7. with enough patience, NOTHING will break, including the breather hose everyone seems to break.

8. there are differences between the pelican DIY and different cars. you do you and don't expect every step to be documented or the same as any DIY.

9. i did this job in 2 hours, taking my time. be patient. BMW engineers did a good job. have the right tools.

10. you'll need to remove the upper cowl, and pelican doesn't list this as a step. FYI.

11. i don't feel anything different, but have plans with a tune.

good luck to anyone else out there!
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #843
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
so i did this today.

some comments, maybe covered here before.

1. long DISA connector goes UNDER the intake runners. i had to search more than i feel like i should have for this.

2. short DISA connector goes to outside connector.

you can't plug these in wrong, due to cable length, but i am confirming this as above.

3. intake manifold 11mm bolts and nuts torque to 11ft-lb
3b. i torqued the throttle body to 7ft/lb when installing. not sure if right. but definitely not too little.

4. I removed the throttle body from the intake manifold before pulling the electrical hub underneath. i couldn't get the tabs loose so i unbolted the bracket from the intake.

5. i swapped all sensors from the old manifold to the new one.

6. even if the PCV is different on your donor manifold, your existing tubing WILL bolt up.

7. with enough patience, NOTHING will break, including the breather hose everyone seems to break.

8. there are differences between the pelican DIY and different cars. you do you and don't expect every step to be documented or the same as any DIY.

9. i did this job in 2 hours, taking my time. be patient. BMW engineers did a good job. have the right tools.

10. you'll need to remove the upper cowl, and pelican doesn't list this as a step. FYI.

11. i don't feel anything different, but have plans with a tune.

good luck to anyone else out there!
Does the 2 hour labor quote include removing the original single stage manifold? Thanks so much for the detailed update. I have experience removing and installing several S52/M52 manifolds on the E36 chassis so I'm sure this isn't much different.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #844
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
Does the 2 hour labor quote include removing the original single stage manifold? Thanks so much for the detailed update. I have experience removing and installing several S52/M52 manifolds on the E36 chassis so I'm sure this isn't much different.
Yes. the two hour time frame was from hood up to first rev. it sounds like you have mechanical aptitude, so with that comfort level i'd say 2 hours will be plenty.

i will honestly say i spent 30 minutes trying to get the electrical harness thing off the intake before realizing i could just unbolt it. i also spent about 30 minutes taking the old manifold apart for the hoses, throttle body, and map, while spending some time cleaning a few areas i would never be able to get to otherwise. i also had to deal with a broken map on the new manifold that required fun removal.

it's all very basic tools required. i cheat and use a small electric impact for everything except tightening of torque critical fasteners.

i promise you will not break the pipe everyone breaks of you just give it some tender love.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #845
adonnan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E91

The 530 manifold fits on a 328 right? They're both N52 so I don't see why it would be any different.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #846
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
The 530 manifold fits on a 328 right? They're both N52 so I don't see why it would be any different.
Just to add something here because I haven't seen it posted yet....

You can also use a 528i intake manifold but it has a large heatsink on it. (The heatsink is not removable because it forms the outer wall of 2 of the intake runners.)

I was able to Bolt it up but I had to trim the large engine cover to fit around the heatsink and you can no longer use the long plastic cosmetic manifold cover that fits on the driver side of the manifold. So yes a 528i manifold also works but cosmetically it's not attractive.

https://flic.kr/p/VjChL5

Last edited by Biginboca; 07-10-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:36 AM   #847
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
3IM club

I am now the newest member of the 3IM club. I finished everything up about 30 minutes ago and just took her for an early morning joy ride.

I don't work on cars much, so it was a difficult job for me, probably the most challenging thing I've attempted on my car to date. It took me about 5 hours to finish. I had no problem at all getting the vacuum hose off, but I did have to remove the entire cabin air filter, cowl, and engine cover. The hardest part for me was getting the wiring harness to release from the metal bracket, what a pain in the butt. I broke one of the clips. The other goof I made was dropping one of the silver sleeves out of the power steering fluid reservoir rubber mounts. I'll have to order another one and put it back in.

I'm not going to lie, I said a little prayer before I started it. I was just a bit worried I had missed something. To my relief, it started right up and idled nice and smoothly. I let it warm up, and then took it up to redline a few times and ran it kindof hard on some curvy back roads I drive all the time.

The car feels more aggressive, for sure. I don't know if it will continue to adapt, or if the AA tune shows the full benefit immediately. Either way, it was worth it, even though it was tough. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't want to do it again!
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #848
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
I am now the newest member of the 3IM club. I finished everything up about 30 minutes ago and just took her for an early morning joy ride.

I don't work on cars much, so it was a difficult job for me, probably the most challenging thing I've attempted on my car to date. It took me about 5 hours to finish. I had no problem at all getting the vacuum hose off, but I did have to remove the entire cabin air filter, cowl, and engine cover. The hardest part for me was getting the wiring harness to release from the metal bracket, what a pain in the butt. I broke one of the clips. The other goof I made was dropping one of the silver sleeves out of the power steering fluid reservoir rubber mounts. I'll have to order another one and put it back in.

I'm not going to lie, I said a little prayer before I started it. I was just a bit worried I had missed something. To my relief, it started right up and idled nice and smoothly. I let it warm up, and then took it up to redline a few times and ran it kindof hard on some curvy back roads I drive all the time.

The car feels more aggressive, for sure. I don't know if it will continue to adapt, or if the AA tune shows the full benefit immediately. Either way, it was worth it, even though it was tough. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't want to do it again!
There are several videos on YouTube about starter replacements that show you everything to do. I'm certain I could complete the job in under two hours. It's actually very simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #849
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
There are several videos on YouTube about starter replacements that show you everything to do. I'm certain I could complete the job in under two hours. It's actually very simple.
I used the Pelican guide and this forum, they were very helpful. Now that I've done it once I would feel a bit more comfortable doing it again, but I wouldn't call that a simple job for most people.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #850
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
The hardest part for me was getting the wiring harness to release from the metal bracket, what a pain in the butt. I broke one of the clips.
For others sake, the wiring harness box is not made to be removed from the metal bracket. Metal bracket has barbs that is meant to be one time fit.

The correct way is to remove the metal bracket together with the wiring harness box from the manifold. The bracket has two torx screws on each end of it, undo those it is free from the manifold. The screws are not easy to see, but easy to find by hand.

They are number 4 in second picture at this link:

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...nifold_(n52k)/
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #851
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 AWD

Few pics once I wrapped things up. I did this project alone, a extra set of hands would of been awesome, but bungee cords did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #852
BalkanAvenger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I just finished dynoing my car today. 182 RWHP bone stock, and now it's making 216 RWHP. See below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #853
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Do you not have a tune? That power curve doesn't look right. The dip at 4k is huge.

hit up bimmerlabs for a free basic one (exactly the same as a stock 330i) - or talk to BPC if you want the best full tune.

You should try it on premium just for fun - I ran our E91 on 87 for years, and it's fine, but it really woke up when it could use the full octane maps.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 02:05 AM   #854
Tymartinez96
325iNewbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i,

Is there a flex fuel kit for an 06 325i? to accept E85?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #855
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

no - but why would you want to? you'll just lose power and get worse gas mileage. It's not like these engines are boosted and can take advantage of the effectively higher octane rating.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #856
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I just installed a 3 stage manifold on my 2009 E90 and I replaced the starter at the same time as preventative maintenance. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and found it much easier than expected, but it still took 4 hours. It's a tedious process so give yourself enough time and don't rush it. For what it's worth, this was easier than the waterpump and thermostat.

I found it helpful to label wiring harnesses with masking tape even though it's quite obvious where they go. The tape helps prevent you from missing any harnesses during reinstallation.

Unbolt the electrical junction box (under the throttle body) from the intake manifold with a T27. The little screws are a pain to put back in.

The PCV connectors are a pain to disconnect but keep trying different ways to grip them and they'll come off. Be careful where you pull on the connector and you shouldn't break anything. I sprayed them with silicone spray to help loosen them up.

The short DISA cable goes to the large DISA valve and the long cable goes to the small DISA valve.

If you're also replacing the starter, the rear bolt is a joke if you have a ratcheting E14 wrench.

This video is very helpful:
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6014.50
      04-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #857
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Also want to add that hassmaschine goes into when the DISA valves open in this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...78&postcount=6

tl;dr:
<3270rpm - both valves closed
3270-4470 - small (?) DISA opened
>4470 - both valves opened

Last edited by The Nightman; 05-01-2018 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #858
mattpete13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 6mt

Can't really find the exact answer I'm looking for to this simple question:

Is it even worth it to install the 3IM without the tune?

I have the IM, just waiting to acquire a tune, MPE and intake. Funds are what's in my way...

So should I just put it on or wait??

Thank you to all who have posted on this thread!!!
Appreciate 0