E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Non iDrive CD/MP3 questions / annoyances - preferences don't stick?

09-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 - Jet Black

Non iDrive CD/MP3 questions / annoyances - preferences don't stick?

Before flaming me, I've done quite a bit of searching and can't find the right answers in a post. If this has already been posted, I apologize. Feel free to point me in the right direction for any / all of these.

I have an '07 E90 w/out iDrive. I'm looking for any setting / Progman fixes that may address these issues.

1. When I'm playing a homemade MP3 disc, I like to have the title/artist info displayed. By default, when I start the car, the displays says "Track 1" or whatever track I was on when I left. I can press "List" to get the file name list, then "Title" to have it read the ID3 tags, but whenever I shut off the car, it reverts back to the "Track 1" display. I'd like it to stay on the title/artist setting.

2. Same thing with "Random". You can only select this when the display is on "Track", but it doesn't stay "random" when I shut the car off and back on. I'd like it to stay on Random until I say otherwise.

2. Speaking of tracks, sometimes, the MP3 track resumes from where it was when I shut the car off, but most times, it doesn't. I've noticed it resumes if the car was off only for a short period (5 mins or less). I saw something in one post (I've read so many, so I have no idea which one) that suggested this may be something in the track-encoding itself, like there's something in iTunes to tell it to continue mid-track. Is there a time limit on this, is it really track-specific, or someway update to get?

It seems to me that these would be logical settings... after all, the car remembers your air conditioning settings, the presets on the radio, and what input you were listening to last... why can't it remember a few more things?

I appreciate any insight you guys can provide.
      09-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrows25 View Post
2. Same thing with "Random". You can only select this when the display is on "Track", but it doesn't stay "random" when I shut the car off and back on. I'd like it to stay on Random until I say otherwise.
Yeah, that would be nice, wouldn't it? But my car doesn't do that either... and I have iDrive. Dumb.

Quote:
3. Speaking of tracks, sometimes, the MP3 track resumes from where it was when I shut the car off, but most times, it doesn't.
Well, I use a USB flash drive on the 6FL USB port. Mostly, it'll resume where it leaves off. But sometimes it doesn't. This may be a different issue though. Either way, sound like bugs to me.

I'm really disappointed by the number of bugs I see in the radio functionality. It really shouldn't be that hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Well, I use a USB flash drive on the 6FL USB port. Mostly, it'll resume where it leaves off. But sometimes it doesn't. This may be a different issue though. Either way, sound like bugs to me.

I'm really disappointed by the number of bugs I see in the radio functionality. It really shouldn't be that hard.
I guess that should be my next experiment -- take a regular CD and see if it remembers where you left off when you shut off the car. I think since I've had cars with CD players, I've never had a car that couldn't remember where the track left off.

But I'm with you on the number of glitches... seems like such a logical (and easy) fix. On the plus side, this is about the only thing I can find to gripe about on the car.
      09-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
geo1317
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT

Quote:
2. Speaking of tracks, sometimes, the MP3 track resumes from where it was when I shut the car off, but most times, it doesn't. I've noticed it resumes if the car was off only for a short period (5 mins or less). I saw something in one post (I've read so many, so I have no idea which one) that suggested this may be something in the track-encoding itself, like there's something in iTunes to tell it to continue mid-track. Is there a time limit on this, is it really track-specific, or someway update to get?
i think the unit retains power for about 5 minutes after you take the key out and it retains the track location until it powers off and then it resets to the begging of the track
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1317 View Post
i think the unit retains power for about 5 minutes after you take the key out and it retains the track location until it powers off and then it resets to the begging of the track
I went into a store yesterday for about 10 minutes, came back out, and Peral Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter" fired up at the same spot. So it's a little more than 5 minutes, if that's really the case.

Oh, and "bump" -- anyone else want to chime in with thoughts?
      10-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
ToddL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
I went into a store yesterday for about 10 minutes, came back out, and Peral Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter" fired up at the same spot. So it's a little more than 5 minutes, if that's really the case.

Oh, and "bump" -- anyone else want to chime in with thoughts?
Yellow Ledbetter! Sweet ... haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
1 - Fixed in a PROGMAN update (maybe v23 or v24?)
2 - It does this on all cars. It's annoying, I agree.
3 - Fixed in a PROGMAN update (v25, even though v22 was supposed to fix it)

Note that I have iDrive. However, issues 1 and 3 are supposed to be working on non-iDrive cars, too.