E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Zymol

10-31-2007, 03:54 AM   #23
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMWard View Post
I think it looks great.

I recently started to use Auotglym Aqua Wax. Very easy to apply while the car is still wet and takes less than one hour to wash and wax the whole car.

Leaves a good smear free finish.

Regards

Chris
i was looking at this product as it seemed a little less ardous than zymol.
      10-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #24
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
i was looking at this product as it seemed a little less ardous than zymol.
You're right bob, but I promise, though the car will probably look just as shiny when it's done, the finish (and more importantly the protection) won't last half as long. When Auto Glym say a product is a 'wax' it's not in the sense that Zymol is a wax. AG will be a chemically-produced product whereas Z is nearly all natural products (carnuba etc). I used to use AG Super Resin Polish, but the shine it gets is actually achieved via a mild abrasive in it - not good over the long term. It's therefore truly a 'polish', rather than a wax (as the name says) - problem is many other products fall into that category too. Zymol HD cleanse does this role without the so much of the abrasion, and in any case you then put the wax on to 'feed' the paint (still have a bit of an issue with that), and seal it.

Honest I noticed such a difference from AG products after I first used Zymol. The dirt almost runs off the car when you wash it and rainwater still 'beads' on the body a couple of months after application. WIth AG this effect was gone after a couple of weeks.

Also, remember how you wash the car is important in preserving the finish - sponges and chamois are out!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 06:26 AM   #25
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

What I'd give for the ability to wash my car! no drive, no garage and the house is set 60-70 yards back from the road with grassy bit and trees in between. I usually throw them at a jet wash every few months!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #26
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Yes, I have the Zymol concours wax too - all £170 worth of it!! shocking!

Was reading the polished bliss website (amazing detail..) and they say that for metallic paint cars, then a sealant maybe better than just using a zymol wax, as the finish is deeper and more reflective. Then they go on to say that with some sealants, you can actually wax on top of it and layer the protection...

Was looking at the Poorboys Ex-sealant, followed by the Zymol concours wax... thoughts anyone on this combination?? Wash, clay, HD cleanse, sealant, wax (and a spare day to do all of that in...)
You really are going to have to join detailingworld now Polishedbliss would advise you I'm sure, as would others on there. I'm not sure re: sealant.

I asked Polished bliss for best Zymol wax (at reasonable price) for black car and they suggested Carbon.

Tip: You can use zymol wax on exterior plastic to protect it and you can use HD cleanse for cleaning windows. The results are far better than with anything I've tried that you spray on. I've also got the Zymol plastic and leather stuff but not a big fan of the plastic stuff as it smells dodge. The leather stuff smells lovely but I want to stick with the 'new car smell' for now.

And then you'll need a foam gun if you don't have one already
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:04 PM   #27
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
You really are going to have to join detailingworld now Polishedbliss would advise you I'm sure, as would others on there. I'm not sure re: sealant.

I asked Polished bliss for best Zymol wax (at reasonable price) for black car and they suggested Carbon.

Tip: You can use zymol wax on exterior plastic to protect it and you can use HD cleanse for cleaning windows. The results are far better than with anything I've tried that you spray on. I've also got the Zymol plastic and leather stuff but not a big fan of the plastic stuff as it smells dodge. The leather stuff smells lovely but I want to stick with the 'new car smell' for now.

And then you'll need a foam gun if you don't have one already
What on earth is a foam gun? A gun that foams obviously, but does it need hooking up to a hose? I don't have hosing facilities at home - need to take it to a jet wash place.. leather stuff sounds good - i'll go shopping again.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What on earth is a foam gun? A gun that foams obviously, but does it need hooking up to a hose? I don't have hosing facilities at home - need to take it to a jet wash place.. leather stuff sounds good - i'll go shopping again.
A foam gun is something like a Gilmour (try Elite Car Care) but unfortunately it does need a hose connection. The zymol leather stuff is great - I even use it to do an armchair at home, it makes the leather really supple.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:09 PM   #29
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
The leather stuff smells like the best banana smell you've ever smelt - not sickly, just nice. I won't be using it for some time yet (used on small areas) as I want to retain new car smell. The missus has used it on the chair in my study though!!!

Foam gun = here's an example: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123790

Great for winter when the car gets covered in crap and salt etc. - just clings it all off and loosens it up to make washing it easier. Also great fun.

How are you washing your car without hose facilities - surely you'll be rubbing all the dirt and grime around on the paintwork if you don't blast it off first?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #30
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The leather stuff smells like the best banana smell you've ever smelt - not sickly, just nice. I won't be using it for some time yet (used on small areas) as I want to retain new car smell. The missus has used it on the chair in my study though!!!

Foam gun = here's an example: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123790

Great for winter when the car gets covered in crap and salt etc. - just clings it all off and loosens it up to make washing it easier. Also great fun.

How are you washing your car without hose facilities - surely you'll be rubbing all the dirt and grime around on the paintwork if you don't blast it off first?

I'm taking it to a jet wash, so will blast everything off there, then monopolise the thing for a few hours till I'm finished...

I can just see it now...

"WHAT?? Wait your turn you impatient little runt... I've got claying, rinsing, drying, sealing, and waxing still to do..."
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:16 PM   #31
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
LOL. So you will have a big box of Zymol stuff with you there. Brilliant.
Wotcha got to do your tyres with? I use blackfire tyre blackener - its really good. Got Menzerna Wheel Gel for my wheels which works great too and is ph neutral so won't damage the alloys.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #32
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh... let me correct that then..

"WHAT?? Wait your turn you impatient little runt... I've got claying, rinsing, wheels, drying, sealing, wheels again and waxing still to do..."

Thought HD cleanse was good on wheels? Don't know what I'll use for the tyres yet. And in any case, my car has just been trailered off to BMW UK so I don't know how long I'll be without my car for.. AGAIN.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #33
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL. So you will have a big box of Zymol stuff with you there. Brilliant.
Wotcha got to do your tyres with? I use blackfire tyre blackener - its really good. Got Menzerna Wheel Gel for my wheels which works great too and is ph neutral so won't damage the alloys.
I've heard the blackfire stuff is good but haven't got around to getting any yet. Same same for the Menzerna. I use Poorboys Wheel Seal after cleaning and it seems to do a good job.

Bloody hell, the amount of us that go to these lengths in car care - BMW dealers should consider themselves privileged when we trade cars in!! And they should give us more money for our steeds naturally
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #34
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
HD Cleanse is good for wheel cleaning. But that is once in a while - for the weekly/bi-weekly clean of wheels I just spray on the blackfire stuff and use a brush to clean off. When you HD Cleanse the wheels, you should then put some wax/sealant on them also to protect them. I use Zymol Carbon but you could I'm sure use concourse although its an expensive use of it ! I sometimes cheat and just spray turtlewax wheel wax on and buff it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #35
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When you HD Cleanse the wheels, you should then put some wax/sealant on them also to protect them. I use Zymol Carbon but you could I'm sure use concourse although its an expensive use of it ! I sometimes cheat and just spray turtlewax wheel wax on and buff it off.
Good point. I bought the PB wheel seal before I thought about it. I use zymol Titanium on the body (good for any colours - designed for use on SUVs and cars that do a lot of Mway miles - I've used it on met black, met blue and Alpine White), and that can be used on the wheels too, in fact all zymol waxes can, so it saves buying yet another product. Christ, detailing is like some form of OCD once you start. However, there's no way now that I would entrust my motor to the local car wash.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #36
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Good point. I bought the PB wheel seal before I thought about it. I use zymol Titanium on the body (good for any colours - designed for use on SUVs and cars that do a lot of Mway miles - I've used it on met black, met blue and Alpine White), and that can be used on the wheels too, in fact all zymol waxes can, so it saves buying yet another product. Christ, detailing is like some form of OCD once you start. However, there's no way now that I would entrust my motor to the local car wash.

So are you saying use Zymol wax on the wheels as well? Bugger me, should've bought the cheaper wax!! Oh, and to apply the wax I guess you just warm it up first in your hand then rub on?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #37
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So are you saying use Zymol wax on the wheels as well? Bugger me, should've bought the cheaper wax!! Oh, and to apply the wax I guess you just warm it up first in your hand then rub on?
Yes warm in hands and rub onto bodywork, but make sure you do so iaw the instructions. Some zymol waxes, however, I think you use an applicator pad for so check the score with your concours wax. Most are, ahem, hand jobs
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #38
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Yes warm in hands and rub onto bodywork, but make sure you do so iaw the instructions. Some zymol waxes, however, I think you use an applicator pad for so check the score with your concours wax. Most are, ahem, hand jobs
i would say i like something warm and gooey in my hands, but then that'd be a bit wierd
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #39
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
You can use zymol wax on the wheels - but it seems a bit excessive to use concours. A lot of people seem to use:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...142wheels.html

Here's a nice recent example of Polished Bliss using it on a car:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=48015
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #40
Paddles
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Bluewater

Garage List
I was going to get round to asking about wheel wax, so Zymol Titanium is ok then ? as long as it lasts and actually makes wheel cleaning easier that will do me.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #41
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by striaght.six View Post
I was going to get round to asking about wheel wax, so Zymol Titanium is ok then ? as long as it lasts and actually makes wheel cleaning easier that will do me.
Matt, the detailer on babybmw.net is a zymol-approved pro detailer and he says so. However, PB wheel seal (as at silver's links above) is as good (and probably less expensive in the long run). Incidentally I've now got 4 cars done from 1 pot of Titanium and probably got enough for 2 more so relatively good value IMHO.
Appreciate 0