E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > £24000

12-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Surely a 130i is the car for this whippersnapper?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #24
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
So lets say your 17... You live in a council estate in a shitty mining town in South Yorkshire.

Much to the dismay of your loser peer group you claw your way through school and get offerred a place at a college in say, Huddersfield. You can't get there by bus because it would be three seperate trips and even then, it's not easy and it takes ages.

A 1.1 Fiesta costs 1600 (or more) to insure even third party only etc and you've fuck all chance of getting into halls near there, even
if you do, there could be a lot of reasons why you need a car.

You wanna make something of your life, but instead, you have to fuck it off and work for burger king because some blood sucking motherfucker won't give you a break.

Because the same council that says your not in the catchment area for a college in Barnsley won't subsidise insurance payments for travelling students, even if it means enforcing terms of travel like never with rear seat passengers, never after 7pm etc.

I will never condone driving without insurance. Ever.

But equally, I will never condone a system which allows companies freedom to charge any price they want for a COMPULSORY service.

Oh but never mind, let them charge what the fuck they want as long as the man gets his 5% premium tax eh?

Matt
I'm not saying charging high prices is a good thing, who of us here would turn down a reduction in premiums?

My issue is that if you can't afford the insurance, don't be a cock and drive without it. Uninsured drivers are in fact part of the reason the rest of us end up paying higher premiums.

Once again though, if you cant afford insurance, be it on a 1.1 Fiesta or a Bugatti Veyron, you can't afford to drive the car in question. Insurance is a cost of driving much like petrol, VED or vehicle maintenance.

I'm not getting into the socio-economic issues because, as you point out, these are far reaching and complex.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #25
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I know what you mean and I am with you.

But think on a bit - ever broken the speed limit? What if you crash into another car and kill a whole family? Prison more than likely... Does that stop you? Probably not.

Ever driven without insurance? Scraped a Merc? Oh dear....

See where I am going - as car enthusiasts, we don't condone driving without insurance and yet the likely implications of things we do every day are probably greater than the likely financial damage of not being insured.

Either way, you hurt someone and you pay for it forever - whether Direct Line pay their family five million quid or not is irrelevant in my view, someone is still dead and someone else is still in prison.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #26
Proudest_Monkey
Rep
Drives: E92 325d M Sport

I'm not saying i can't afford the insurance, i can't get a quote!

I'm not much of a racer in any case, i prefer to cruise at 80 on the motorway! A 325d will do me fine!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #27
Proudest_Monkey
Rep

Cool

Quote:
I know what you mean and I am with you.

But think on a bit - ever broken the speed limit? What if you crash into another car and kill a whole family? Prison more than likely... Does that stop you? Probably not.

Ever driven without insurance? Scraped a Merc? Oh dear....

See where I am going - as car enthusiasts, we don't condone driving without insurance and yet the likely implications of things we do every day are probably greater than the likely financial damage of not being insured.

Either way, you hurt someone and you pay for it forever - whether Direct Line pay their family five million quid or not is irrelevant in my view, someone is still dead and someone else is still in prison.

Matt
Not everyone that speeds will kill someone! Yes - those who speed irresponsibly should lose their licenses. But the same goes the other way. What about the drivers that go 50mph in the middle lane of the M4?

Not having a go though mate! Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #28
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Course not mate, and many people drive for ten years uninsured and never 'scrape a Merc'

The problem, in both cases is when they do.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #29
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say these days I drive within the limits of the law. I'm not interested in losing my licenses, getting fined and incurring yet higher insurance premiums!!

I'm not even that old, 27, but driving a car is a privilage and there are enough knobs on the road who treat every bit of tarmac as their personal race track.

People moan about coppers and speed cameras and I agree, they're a pain, but there's a simple way to mitigate the issue, just drive within the limits of the law.

Here's the kicker, when I was younger I was not so responsible...the cost of which was high insurance premiums!! It's pretty widely accepted that younger, less experienced drivers tend to get into trouble more than their more experienced counterparts. That's obviously a generalisation and does not apply across the board so I accept there are exceptions to the "rule" as it were.

EDIT:

In my view compulsory insurances should be sold by the government, not money grabbing private insurance companies and banks. That way there would be much greater consistency in the risk assesments and therefore the costs of various insurances.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #30
Proudest_Monkey
Rep

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm excited as i put a deposit on an E92 325d SE.

19000 miles, £23,000, silver with black leather, sports seats, and bluetooth.

First thing i need to do is upgrade the speakers, and add an alpine head unit for an ipod connection.

Picking it up before the end of the month! What a brilliant christmas present.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #31
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudest_Monkey View Post
Anyway, back on topic.

I'm excited as i put a deposit on an E92 325d SE.

19000 miles, £23,000, silver with black leather, sports seats, and bluetooth.

First thing i need to do is upgrade the speakers, and add an alpine head unit for an ipod connection.

Picking it up before the end of the month! What a brilliant christmas present.
Congrats!

I too am in the hunt for an E92, can't wait to get my grubby paws on one!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #32
Proudest_Monkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Congrats!

I too am in the hunt for an E92, can't wait to get my grubby paws on one!!
What spec you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #33
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What spec you looking for?
335d coupe SE/M-Sport in black or grey
Leather (ideally red)
Electric folding mirrors (dimming would be nice but not essential)
Seat heating
PDC rear
USB interface
iDrive navigation pro (new HDD based one)
Bluetooth & telematics
Sun protection glass

Any spec above and beyond that would be a bonus.

EDIT:

If I find a car with the above spec but no audio upgrade I will see if I can push the dealer to sort me a out a good price on the Alpine upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #34
Proudest_Monkey
Rep

The only problem with the black is that it gets so damn dirty so easily! Looks lovely when clean though...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #35
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The only problem with the black is that it gets so damn dirty so easily! Looks lovely when clean though...
Yeah I would prefer grey (space grey/sparkling graphite type colour)...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #36
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

Did you say you were 21 and you couldnt get a quote on 335i?

that cant be right...unless your getting an e93, a 335 coupe or saloon should easily get a quote from tesco.

I only recently bought my car and turned 22 (so i was 21 when insuring it).
I got online quotes easily for an e92 335i but i wanted a convertible so tried again and..... nope cant do it, so i phoned tesco up and they said i have to be over 25 for a 335i conv so i ended up with 330 instead.

unless they changed the policy very recently, you should be able to get one.

In anycase, congrats on the car. looks good!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #37
Skid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
Congrats on your new car.

You will love the 6cylinder engine.

A remap will do wonders for it when you feel the need.
Appreciate 0