E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Passenger Airbag - unfixable?

08-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Sedan

Passenger Airbag - unfixable?

I have a '11 335i Sedan with sport seats, and I've been having problems with the passenger airbag since I got the car. The dealer has taken at least 4 shots at fixing it, and pretty much gave up on it at this point.

The problem I'm having is that the "Airbag off" light often comes on while my wife is sitting in the seat. She's not a huge woman - 110 pounds, plus purse, but I was able to reproduce the problem once with me in the seat.

Done by my dealer so far:
-updated the software (twice? three times?)
-replaced the matt in the seat
-cleaned and reconnected the connector
-acted smug and told me it's normal
-acted really smug and told me that it couldn't be reproduced (twice?)
-scanned for codes and found nothing every single time

At this point, I notice it every 10th ride in car, but it could be happening more often and I don't notice. The light shuts off after a short while, which is normal for no passenger, so unless I'm watching for it I might miss it. Next time it happens, I'm going to try and snap a pic of her and the light, but I haven't seen it in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I had a similar problem:
Airbag and passenger light would turn on as a warning, there being a passenger or not. It happened twice, once it was because of the mat in the seat, second time because of electrical gremlins in the B-pilar wire routing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Sedan

I still have this problem, and I've been able to get a picture of the air bag disabled while my wife is in the seat. My dealer still has no idea how to fix it, and corporate told me they'd 'log the problem' and had no suggestions.

Question to the crowd - if BMW has had four shots at fixing this problem, and it has existed since the car was new, do I have any recourse here? Is there a lemon law in Canada that could get me some action?
Appreciate 0