E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

09-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #331
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
You're probably going to want to change the Vehicle Order (FA) regardless for a 100% solid install (assuming the CIC carries a different option code). Otherwise, if your car ever gets a software upgrade, things may stop working again until the CIC is recoded. As long as the FA is aligned with what you have in there, everything will work even after reprogrammed.
The idea is to keep the current iDrive and swap as needed... I don't want to risk a change of VO and then having issues with other modules popping up.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #332
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The idea is to keep the current iDrive and swap as needed... I don't want to risk a change of VO and then having issues with other modules popping up.
It won't hurt anything. ISTA/P just uses the FA to correctly code all the options into each individual module. This is exactly why Long's CIC isn't outputting audio correctly. If he has the car recoded (not even reprogrammed) the CIC will pick up the correct options and output the sound correctly. He can actually get away with just recoding the CIC, but that requires some fancier tools his dealership won't have.

If you're changing things on your car, it's best to update the FA/VO to reflect that. That way everything will be coded correctly, and you're most likely to have everything 100% operational -- that is 100% of functions that don't require the FSC code (nav, SVS, etc).

Anyway, I'm really psyched by all the progress you guys are making! Let me know if I can help along the way, and you both need to keep us updated!
      09-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #333
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It won't hurt anything. ISTA/P just uses the FA to correctly code all the options into each individual module. This is exactly why Long's CIC isn't outputting audio correctly. If he has the car recoded (not even reprogrammed) the CIC will pick up the correct options and output the sound correctly. He can actually get away with just recoding the CIC, but that requires some fancier tools his dealership won't have.

If you're changing things on your car, it's best to update the FA/VO to reflect that. That way everything will be coded correctly, and you're most likely to have everything 100% operational -- that is 100% of functions that don't require the FSC code (nav, SVS, etc).

Anyway, I'm really psyched by all the progress you guys are making! Let me know if I can help along the way, and you both need to keep us updated!
That's not quite correct... Long's car is coded correctly, the CIC is not just because it is coded for the donor car. Changing Long's car VO to HiFi (676) and removing the Top HiFi (752) will not do anything for the CIC, as it is already coded for 676 from the donor's car; those outputs are ready available right now. And changing the VO will not enable the Nav or the Voice Activation either.

What is needed is either somehow blanking out this CIC and then getting the proper Long's VIN FSC or simply directly overwriting the current FSC from the donor's car with Long's VIN FSC if this is even possible (I think that it is but I think also that BMW will not want to go that route and facilitate the issue of FSC for used CIC as it could unwillingly "motivate" the robbery of Navigation computers for retrofit and swaps sales).

For reference: in the case of Booster4075 complete retrofit a change of VO was required as his car did not have the Nav 609 code in his VO obviously. And that change of VO did in fact change the output of his used CCC from HiFi to Top HiFi, but that was the nature of the retrofit and not of a swap. And still his CCC required a set of FSC to enable the Voice Activation 620; the CCC does not require a set of FSC to enable Nav, it is only for Voice Activation.

This is not applicable here... this donor CIC requires the FSC of Long's car VIN for then identify which options it needs to properly communicate with in his car. Right now this donor CIC should be able to communicate straight with the Long's Assist and iPod only, as these are the only common options between the donor's car and Long's. If Long retrofitted the Sirius tuner in his car then it will show up in the HD screen, as it was part of the factory options in the donor's car. But the HiFi coding stays because that was the factory option in the donor's car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #334
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i think i'm going to order the new CIC. i have a feeling this will work. i was going to install the unit and let it sit, but i forgot i do not have the right cable to install the unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #335
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
i think i'm going to order the new CIC.
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #336
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
i think i'm going to order the new CIC.
Just make sure before ordering that you will have some assurance from your dealer that at least they are going to work with you and with whoever in BMWNA will authorize and prepare those FSC. If not you will be back to square one.

I also sure that it will work, but definitely it will not be plug 'n play.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 06:58 AM   #337
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not quite correct... Long's car is coded correctly, the CIC is not just because it is coded for the donor car. Changing Long's car VO to HiFi (676) and removing the Top HiFi (752) will not do anything for the CIC, as it is already coded for 676 from the donor's car; those outputs are ready available right now. And changing the VO will not enable the Nav or the Voice Activation either.

What is needed is either somehow blanking out this CIC and then getting the proper Long's VIN FSC or simply directly overwriting the current FSC from the donor's car with Long's VIN FSC if this is even possible (I think that it is but I think also that BMW will not want to go that route and facilitate the issue of FSC for used CIC as it could unwillingly "motivate" the robbery of Navigation computers for retrofit and swaps sales).

For reference: in the case of Booster4075 complete retrofit a change of VO was required as his car did not have the Nav 609 code in his VO obviously. And that change of VO did in fact change the output of his used CCC from HiFi to Top HiFi, but that was the nature of the retrofit and not of a swap. And still his CCC required a set of FSC to enable the Voice Activation 620; the CCC does not require a set of FSC to enable Nav, it is only for Voice Activation.

This is not applicable here... this donor CIC requires the FSC of Long's car VIN for then identify which options it needs to properly communicate with in his car. Right now this donor CIC should be able to communicate straight with the Long's Assist and iPod only, as these are the only common options between the donor's car and Long's. If Long retrofitted the Sirius tuner in his car then it will show up in the HD screen, as it was part of the factory options in the donor's car. But the HiFi coding stays because that was the factory option in the donor's car.
I didn't say Long's VO needed to be changed. I said the car needed to be recoded. Right now all of the modules in his car are correctly coded except the CIC. If the car was recoded, the CIC would also become correctly coded, as the 752 option would be read and a few flags (in this case, "AUDIO_SYSTEM") in the coding data would be changed to reflect the car's configuration. However, since ISTA/P likely wouldn't even look for the CIC without that option being in the VO as well, he may need to change it after all assuming the CIC has a different option code than the CCC did. After that it would be coded as usual.

The other option is to directly code JUST the CIC, which can be done, but not at the dealer.

The FSC is a whole different battle for which I don't have an easy solution. I think you may be right, it will probably have to be ordered from the dealer. Last I checked, the thought is that the CCC (or CIC in this case) is actually given a certificate and asked to perform the validation DURING the coding, so there's no good way to "fudge" it. No easy way, at least.

As for the last part, the FSC does not control what the CIC talks to. That is the coding data. For instance, in a CCC car, whether or not you have HD radio is an option. It's called "IBOC" and if you don't have it, the flag is set to inactive. It's very easy to set this to active, but it has nothing to do with the FSC. Unless they've changed the whole coding structure with the CIC, the FSC should only be used to activate navigation and maybe SVS.
      09-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #338
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say Long's VO needed to be changed. I said the car needed to be recoded. Right now all of the modules in his car are correctly coded except the CIC. If the car was recoded, the CIC would also become correctly coded, as the 752 option would be read and a few flags (in this case, "AUDIO_SYSTEM") in the coding data would be changed to reflect the car's configuration. However, since ISTA/P likely wouldn't even look for the CIC without that option being in the VO as well, he may need to change it after all assuming the CIC has a different option code than the CCC did. After that it would be coded as usual.

The other option is to directly code JUST the CIC, which can be done, but not at the dealer.

The FSC is a whole different battle for which I don't have an easy solution. I think you may be right, it will probably have to be ordered from the dealer. Last I checked, the thought is that the CCC (or CIC in this case) is actually given a certificate and asked to perform the validation DURING the coding, so there's no good way to "fudge" it. No easy way, at least.

As for the last part, the FSC does not control what the CIC talks to. That is the coding data. For instance, in a CCC car, whether or not you have HD radio is an option. It's called "IBOC" and if you don't have it, the flag is set to inactive. It's very easy to set this to active, but it has nothing to do with the FSC. Unless they've changed the whole coding structure with the CIC, the FSC should only be used to activate navigation and maybe SVS.
Understood, however in this particular case to recode the car requires that this CIC P/N be recognized as part of this VIN VO to then code the CIC to the car's VO. Although 609 is the code for Navigation in the VO -regardless if it is CCC or CIC- ISTA/P will not recode the car and much less that CIC because of this "strange" P/N found when going thru the module P/N verification process. So the recoding will fail not because of the VO code, but because of the P/N related to that code. The VO will have to be changed to "register" that CIC P/N into that 609 code, IMO.

That's what I don't want to do unless there are some guarantees that it will not mess something else up down the line.

There's already one documented recoding failure in the M3Post forum due to the car in question having the new controller installed with the old iDrive.

I will try to see first if by just getting these FSC I will make a new CIC to "talk" to my audio options -on top of the NAV and Voice enable- without any VO change. If what you are saying about the FSC not doing anything else but enabling the Nav and Voice ends up being correct then I will decide what to do next...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #339
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Understood, however in this particular case to recode the car requires that this CIC P/N be recognized as part of this VIN VO to then code the CIC to the car's VO. Although 609 is the code for Navigation in the VO -regardless if it is CCC or CIC- ISTA/P will not recode the car and much less that CIC because of this "strange" P/N found when going thru the module P/N verification process. So the recoding will fail not because of the VO code, but because of the P/N related to that code. The VO will have to be changed to "register" that CIC P/N into that 609 code, IMO.

That's what I don't want to do unless there are some guarantees that it will not mess something else up down the line.

There's already one documented recoding failure in the M3Post forum due to the car in question having the new controller installed with the old iDrive.

I will try to see first if by just getting these FSC I will make a new CIC to "talk" to my audio options -on top of the NAV and Voice enable- without any VO change. If what you are saying about the FSC not doing anything else but enabling the Nav and Voice ends up being correct then I will decide what to do next...
Makes sense, and frankly I didn't think of that. I'm surprised the CIC doesn't have a separate option code.

That said, the VO is a very simple list of option codes, no part numbers are involved. That's all on the progman/ISTA/P side. Still, you may be right, based upon the build date it may get confused when it sees a CIC.

Time to experiment!

As I said earlier - good luck! And please keep us updated!
      09-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #340
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
for some reason i plug the setup back in and the monitor does not work now.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:06 AM   #341
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Makes sense, and frankly I didn't think of that. I'm surprised the CIC doesn't have a separate option code.

That said, the VO is a very simple list of option codes, no part numbers are involved. That's all on the progman/ISTA/P side. Still, you may be right, based upon the build date it may get confused when it sees a CIC.

Time to experiment!

As I said earlier - good luck! And please keep us updated!
I support you! I think that once the car will be reprogrammed, it will see CIC and will program it accordingly to VO list and sound will work.

But to activate Navi you will need FSC code 100% sure. Other features should work just after reprograming of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #342
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
CIC set for 1099 Euro from Poland!
Prices are going down quickly!

They are saying that for additional 299 Euro they can program it, but I think they cannot do it without car?

http://cgi.ebay.pl/BMW-E90-E91-E92-E...#ht_1129wt_814
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #343
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
CIC set for 1099 Euro from Poland!
Prices are going down quickly!

They are saying that for additional 299 Euro they can program it, but I think they cannot do it without car?

http://cgi.ebay.pl/BMW-E90-E91-E92-E...#ht_1129wt_814
That's a CCC...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #344
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's a CCC...
Ooops.... I need to sleep more
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #345
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Ooops.... I need to sleep more
I think that this vendor once stated in that auction that this was an LCI iDrive "kit"; I know because I also clicked it to see if it was in reality some time ago.

It seems that the vendor removed that "LCI" from the description...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #346
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

What's going on with Long's Retrofit?
Is it dead??
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #347
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
What's going on with Long's Retrofit?
Is it dead??
its on hold for now. trying to figure it out though. not sure where to go at this point. i am waiting for my wire so i can install the unit in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #348
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i got the old screen to work again. some fuse burnt out but my SA wont tell me which one.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #349
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ok, so i just re installed the system. i am going to let the car sleep with the new unit. hopefully it will work when it wakes up. everything else is working. the CIC is reading the tpms, vehicle service, oil level, brakes, etc....i'm not sure why the navigation is not loading. i will restart it up in 30 mins.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #350
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so i just re installed the system. i am going to let the car sleep with the new unit. hopefully it will work when it wakes up. everything else is working. the CIC is reading the tpms, vehicle service, oil level, brakes, etc....i'm not sure why the navigation is not loading. i will restart it up in 30 mins.
Can you see your iPod contents in the display?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #351
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you see your iPod contents in the display?
[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G2MbDTfuEcA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G2MbDTfuEcA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #352
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

So the Assist/Bluetooth was recognized (GSM without any recoding), that's great!

Did you test the iPod?
Appreciate 0