E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 330i Problem with idle

08-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
Benjie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

I had this problem on my 325. noticed it and ignored it for a couple months as it would idle rough on and off. then one of my coils went out. took it to my friend (bmw tech) and he said that my battery was going out and needed to be replaced. thats what caused the coil to go out and idle rough. so he replaced the coil and battery, and i had him replace all the spark plugs while at it just for good measure.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
neeeeenja
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I also had a vibration issue. Bought and installed new ignition coils and NGKs. Now the car idles like the day I bought it.

If you tried the coils and plugs already, how about Seafoam to clean the injectors?
      09-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeeeenja View Post
I also had a vibration issue. Bought and installed new ignition coils and NGKs. Now the car idles like the day I bought it.

If you tried the coils and plugs already, how about Seafoam to clean the injectors?
been trying all types of cleaners and stuff. used Techron twice and now i'm using Marvel's mystery oil. with the Techron, the problem goes away for the tank with the cleaner and comes back after the cleaner is done. The Marvel's has like 5 "servings", so to say, and so far so good, with a little bit of the issue on the middle. I'm fairly confident that the problem will come back once I stop using it tho, since it seems to come back every time I fill up for a small amount of time.

Possibly need to check for a vacuum leak next and might need to get walnut shell blasting. What I don't get is why it goes away with cleaners and comes back. That's why I'm suspicious of injectors but it seems that everyone thinks i'm wrong
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
phasterthanyou
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Coupe, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
been trying all types of cleaners and stuff. used Techron twice and now i'm using Marvel's mystery oil. with the Techron, the problem goes away for the tank with the cleaner and comes back after the cleaner is done. The Marvel's has like 5 "servings", so to say, and so far so good, with a little bit of the issue on the middle. I'm fairly confident that the problem will come back once I stop using it tho, since it seems to come back every time I fill up for a small amount of time.

Possibly need to check for a vacuum leak next and might need to get walnut shell blasting. What I don't get is why it goes away with cleaners and comes back. That's why I'm suspicious of injectors but it seems that everyone thinks i'm wrong
So did it come back? Did you find a permanent solution? I did the Techron once and cleaned the MAF, went away for approx 4wks and started all over again yesterday! I am experiencing the same symptoms with my wifes 07' 328i with approx 54k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #27
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Im not sure is e90 equipped with DISA valve but that sounds like this could cause the problem. Look in youtube to get the idea what DISA is.

Also you can try to check your injectors with INPA instead of ordering new ones.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #28
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

My car is starting to misfore now occasionally as well, so i am beginining to think that it may be coils/spark plugs. I did change my plugs less than 30k miles ago, but my battery was complete shit for a period afterwards, so it might be possible my plugs suffered? I also never changed my coils so that is a possibility as well. Like I said, it misfires occasionally when I hit lit 3500 to 4000.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #29
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

This is what a bmw mechanic told me......I would check the eccentric shaft sensor first for oil. You can clean this with a small amount of electrical contact cleaner and some compressed air if you find some oil in the connector. BMW just came out with a programming fix for this as well but many dealers are not aware of this yet. There is no service bulletin yet but if they run what is called "symptom diagnosis" with the BMW test plan it states to program the vehicle. On the last vehicle I had the programming corrected this.....as well as spark plugs coils solenoid can all be a cause of this
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #30
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

i tried cleaning my solenoids with compressed air. didnt help. the car is throwing no shadow codes either
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
i tried cleaning my solenoids with compressed air. didnt help. the car is throwing no shadow codes either
Just compressed air or with something to help dissolve/clean off the sticky oil? Did mine last weekend and used some petrol which seems to have worked quite well judging by how dirty it got in doing so, especially with the exhaust vanos solenoid...

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #32
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Just compressed air or with something to help dissolve/clean off the sticky oil? Did mine last weekend and used some petrol which seems to have worked quite well judging by how dirty it got in doing so, especially with the exhaust vanos solenoid...
some people have used brake cleaner, but i dont recommend that. i felt that would overkill for solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #33
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
some people have used brake cleaner, but i dont recommend that. i felt that would overkill for solenoids.
Yep, heard that, but also petrol and even diesel. I posted what I did here...

Basically allowed each of the solenoids (just the portion that has the ports) to stand soaking in some unleaded petrol for a good while, replaced with fresh petrol once it was pretty dirty. Then allowed the solenoids to dry before dipping in some spare fresh oil as per the engine spec. Cleaned off excess oil and then fitted back into the engine. Seemed to have worked - cleaning the solenoids didn't solve the stumbling and flat issues that I am currently trying to sort out, but I do sense that the engine is a bit happier nonetheless.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

im thinking abt changing coils first, see what happens and then possible plugs.

I changed my plugs abt 30-40k ago but i had a shit battery for some time there so i think i heard that might put a strain on plugs
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #35
ewilliah
BIMR LUV & E90FTW
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Unfortunately, I too have this issue on my 2006 330i with 114k. Sputters/hiccups at idle and recently it 's pretty often.

I've changed my ignition coils, spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, replaced camshaft position sensor, checked for vacuum leaks and so far no solution. Next thing on the list is replace the vanos solenoid.

If anyone figures out a definite solution to this problem, please let me know! I'm trying everything y'all have suggested. Until then, I hope my lil baby 330i survives

Glad to know I'm not alone with this issue tho
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #36
signman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I have an all stock 330i. Changed the plugs and air filter. Used the chevron cleaner. And always use 93 octane gas. I thinks it's as smooth as it can be, I suspect these cars have a lot of feedback, you can feel it in the shifter (manual)

Anyone have a DIY for the Maf and solenoid...
      11-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #37
hugus311
Titanium silver + Sport + Premium
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i (E90)

vanos solenoid
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486201
skip to step 5 for n52
unscrew unplug clean and switch

maf is just two t-25 screws on air intake
never touch sensor always hold from black plastic
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8937746
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
signman
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for the links... The more I read, the more I think I should just leave it alone. Wait for more symptoms. Maybe get in trouble somewhere else:lol
      11-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #39
signman
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Would you know about re- setting the gas peddle diy. Thanks
      11-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #40
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Well, here's my Vanos Solenoid cleaning DIY...

Just a tip when removing the solenoids:

"But be careful of the plastic ring that can easily slide off the solenoids when removing since you have to angle them out from this tight space, this is because the O-rings tend to stay inside rather than come out with the solenoids."

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #41
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

i did all of these and now the sputters are worse than ever

for resetting the gas, put the key in, press the start button (without holding the brake) and hold down the accelerator for 30 secs

i can second the fact about the o ring i lost mine into the engine bay and had to go thru hell to get it back
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #42
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i did all of these and now the sputters are worse than ever

for resetting the gas, put the key in, press the start button (without holding the brake) and hold down the accelerator for 30 secs

i can second the fact about the o ring i lost mine into the engine bay and had to go thru hell to get it back
Maybe take a look at this thread '08 328i E90 Rough Idle, Vibrating & Shaking...

Yep, that one plastic spacer decided to do the disappearing act on me - removed lower engine cover and it was nowhere to be found. Was working on my car a few days ago and had the air box out, and as suspected, the spacer had fallen in between the radiator and fan shroud - luckily was able to fish it out with my extendible magnetic probe with some prestik stuck on the end...

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #43
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilliah View Post
Unfortunately, I too have this issue on my 2006 330i with 114k. Sputters/hiccups at idle and recently it 's pretty often.

I've changed my ignition coils, spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, replaced camshaft position sensor, checked for vacuum leaks and so far no solution. Next thing on the list is replace the vanos solenoid.

If anyone figures out a definite solution to this problem, please let me know! I'm trying everything y'all have suggested. Until then, I hope my lil baby 330i survives

Glad to know I'm not alone with this issue tho
does the car drive fine still? its getting worse and more annoying now.

when i try accelerating quickly at times, the car seems to have a slump in the pickup and misfires. SES light comes on even rougher idle, until i turn the car off and turn it back on again.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #44
Arena Motor Dude
Master of ________
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i e90 6MT

My 92k mile 330xi has issues sometimes when starting up. It will turn over a few extra times before starting then it will shake, sputter and then stall. Start back up and sometimes it will do the same thing or it will just idle roughly until it warms up. Anyone have a similar experience?
2008 BMW 335i coupe, manual, Black Sapphire Metallic, OSS style blacked-out headlights w/ LED angel eyes, 3000k HID fogs, LED interior, fully coded, carbon fiber lip spoiler, front splitter, M6 replicas, Koni shocks, H&R springs, Procede 3 and DCI SOLD 2006 e90 330xi 6mt SOLD
Current: 2006 e90 330i 6MT "Monica"
Appreciate 0