E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New Owner with multiple issues

01-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
DLang706
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i and BMW 328Xi

Exclamation New Owner with multiple issues

Hey everybody, over the weekend I traded in my Mercedes C300 for two 2007 BMW 328's. One is an Xi and the other is just an i. I have a couple of issues which I'm sure have probably been addressed in other posts, but I am having trouble finding answers that work.

1. When I start the one car a service warning for the fog light with an exclamation point in it appears and then is immediately followed by the service symbol (red car on lift). The service warning goes off about every minute non-stop and may be the most annoying thing I have ever experienced. I tried following the procedures for resetting the service issue with the trip odometer and button on the blinker stick and it works... but as soon as I turn on the headlights again the issue reappears and starts dinging. Is it really possible that if a bulb is out the car will not stop bothering you about it until it is corrected?

2. The black rubberized stripping on the car is starting to peel off, is there a good option for repairing this?

3. The other car (Xi) has the service engine soon light on. Can this be reset in the same way as the other service lights.

I apologize if I have posted this comment in the wrong section or if these questions seem stupid or repetitive, but the first one is really driving me up a wall. I am a mechanical engineer, so I do hope to be a useful contributor to this forum after I get the hang of it.... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLang706 View Post
Hey everybody, over the weekend I traded in my Mercedes C300 for two 2007 BMW 328's. One is an Xi and the other is just an i. I have a couple of issues which I'm sure have probably been addressed in other posts, but I am having trouble finding answers that work.

1. When I start the one car a service warning for the fog light with an exclamation point in it appears and then is immediately followed by the service symbol (red car on lift). The service warning goes off about every minute non-stop and may be the most annoying thing I have ever experienced. I tried following the procedures for resetting the service issue with the trip odometer and button on the blinker stick and it works... but as soon as I turn on the headlights again the issue reappears and starts dinging. Is it really possible that if a bulb is out the car will not stop bothering you about it until it is corrected?

2. The black rubberized stripping on the car is starting to peel off, is there a good option for repairing this?

3. The other car (Xi) has the service engine soon light on. Can this be reset in the same way as the other service lights.

I apologize if I have posted this comment in the wrong section or if these questions seem stupid or repetitive, but the first one is really driving me up a wall. I am a mechanical engineer, so I do hope to be a useful contributor to this forum after I get the hang of it.... Thanks!
1. Probably your brakes (front or rear need replacing). I believe that can be reset via the hidden menu.
2. No idea.
3. No you cannot reset a SES light via a menu you will need to connect a ODB2 reader to it and clear the code. And if you're getting a SES light then I recommend you read the code to see what is causing it. SES light don't appear without a reason.

Last edited by Delta0311; 01-14-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
DLang706
Rep

Can you explain the hidden menu? Is that just what appears when you hold in the trip meter for 10 seconds?

I don't think it is the brakes, the car was purchased from a dealer that did a thorough inspection, and it passed all mechanical tests.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Can you explain the hidden menu? Is that just what appears when you hold in the trip meter for 10 seconds?

I don't think it is the brakes, the car was purchased from a dealer that did a thorough inspection, and it passed all mechanical tests.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=hidden+menu

The dealer inspection is a joke and give the fact you are getting a SES light right out the door means they didn't do a very good job.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
DLang706
Rep

Yeah... That's what I did. Do you know is there a way to ignore the bulb out notification? Seems pretty dumb that it just keeps reminding you constantly. I love this cars driving experience, but so far F- grade on the intuitiveness of the computer system.... absolute garbage design.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah... That's what I did. Do you know is there a way to ignore the bulb out notification? Seems pretty dumb that it just keeps reminding you constantly. I love this cars driving experience, but so far F- grade on the intuitiveness of the computer system.... absolute garbage design.
Since you just bought it (not sure if it is in warranty or not but shouldn't matter) I would take it back to the dealer to have him fix this shit. You can be damn sure the bulb out error, SES, and lift light came up during the inspection and they just said ah fuck it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
DLang706
Rep

No warranty, sold as is. And yeah they knew they were on... as did I. They didn't have BMW equipment to hook up to the car. I didn't think it was a big deal, it's a bulb out.... Little did I know that BMW wants you to drop what you are doing and go get a bulb right this second or they are going to drive you nuts.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No warranty, sold as is. And yeah they knew they were on... as did I. They didn't have BMW equipment to hook up to the car. I didn't think it was a big deal, it's a bulb out.... Little did I know that BMW wants you to drop what you are doing and go get a bulb right this second or they are going to drive you nuts.
Is the bulb actually out?
And for the SES light, if you don't have a ODB2 scanner or Bavtool then take it to Autozone they will scan if for you for free and clear the code. I do suggest you write down the error first and post it up here. It might be something minor it but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
DLang706
Rep

Yeah the SES isn't a big concern to as of now. That is on the other car (328xi) and it doesn't keep popping up and dinging.

The bulb out and service light are on the other car (328i) and they are the ones that are driving me mad.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
DLang706
Rep

Good call on autozone though, can they reset the light and service warnings too? Or is the hidden menu the only way?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the SES isn't a big concern to as of now. That is on the other car (328xi) and it doesn't keep popping up and dinging.

The bulb out and service light are on the other car (328i) and they are the ones that are driving me mad.
The bulb out error would have to be coded out there is no menu to clear that. If you don't have it coded out then the only option is to replace it.

The lift symbol signifies a services of some sort and it is probably the brakes. When you push the button for the menu click on the option that shows errors. It will show you the lift and when you push down it should show you what needs to be serviced. Also look at the menu and check the service intervals, it should show you there too.

Last edited by Delta0311; 01-14-2014 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Good call on autozone though, can they reset the light and service warnings too? Or is the hidden menu the only way?
They can reset the SES. The service items can be reset via menu.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
DLang706
Rep

Thanks for the help! I'll try this all tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I'll try this all tonight.
You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

2. Regarding the weather stripping on the front windshield it should be about $20 at the dealership. There are some great DIY on here that will walk you through it. I just changed mine at 90K and it was just crumbling off. If you are handy it should be a breeze.

All other questions you posted cannot relate! Good luck, PM if you need some help with the stripping.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #16
DLang706
Rep

@e90msportmia... it's not around the windshield but on the roof along the edges. Do you know where I mean?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Quote:
Yeah the SES isn't a big concern to as of now.
Isn't SES light emission error?! With that you won't be able to pass smog check, thus you can't register the car?

Quote:
It might be any light, side marker, angel eyes, even a headlight. If all the lights are functioning than something's wrong with the lightning module. Do you have xenon or halogen (not that it matters much but it may help with suggestions)?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

This is why there is something called Pre-Purchase Inspection that is allowed by law in most (all?) states. They have to let you take the care to a mechanic of your choosing to have it checked out before you agree to buy.

I'm not sure what shitbag dealer sold you these cars in that condition, but you should have definitely had them checked for issues and educated yourself on the potential issues and maintenance items these vehicles can have or will need before you signed and rolled off the lot so, I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but it really sounds like you stepped in your own pile of poop here.

I would suggest finding a good local independent shop who specializes in BMW and take both cars there or return to the dealership and wage war. I wouldn't have ever traded one car for two that are f'd up.
      01-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Check if the previous owner had put HID kit in the fog housing. Some low quality HID kits will cause bulb-out warning like you described.

Just pray that you don't have some hidden electrical issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #20
DLang706
Rep

Thanks for the responses!

I have done a lot more digging on the bulb issue. First of all, all of the lights on the car ARE working. So that leads me to believe that it is either a short in the electrical system, or moisture in one of the lamps. Does moisture cause faults to go off? Looking in the service manual the first notification I am receiving is the yellow low beam/ fog light warning. Which, as the manual says, means that either a fog light or low beam is about to fail. Than the red service lift appears. Looking in the book the red service lift can mean "lighting system failure: low beams tail lamps and brake lamps still operational. All other lamps fail" Sounds pretty close to what I am experiencing. I have talked to a BMW service tech who is a friend and he thinks it is most likely just a wiring issue.

While looking around the passenger headlight area I noticed an unplugged capped cable with three holes in it. Can you guys check to see if you have this? Talking with the tech he thought it may be a hood sensor that was an option on the E90, but he wasn't sure. I can't figure out where it would plug in, but maybe it is related.

In order to do the secret menu service reset I have to turn off the headlights so that the indications will stop. As soon as I reset the indications I turn the lights back on and the error pops right back up.

I understand that these purchases seem stupid, but they were heavily discounted vehicles sold AS IS, so there isn't really much that can be done. I will say that the dealer told us that service engine soon was not a check engine light, but rather just a filter notification, so that's why that was disregarded. As for the electrical issue on the other, I'm not really worried about it. The notifications are annoying but the car is in great condition otherwise, and I am confident that we will be able to fix it.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #21
DLang706
Rep

No there are not any HID's installed. please see the attached images for a look at the service notifications that are appearing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I think the first notification is related to the automatic headlight dimmer function is not working (just a guess) or the automatic leveling function is inoperable. If the car has HIDs, when you start it and the automatic headlight function is switched on, if parked near a wall, you will see the headlights momentarily adjust their levels (height). The second notification is indicating there is a service due. There is a conditioned based service system built into the car and has a menu accessed through the turn signal stalk that will indicate what service is required.

A read of the owners manual will explain all of this.
Appreciate 0