E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > M3 steering wheel onto a 335d e92

06-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
Great advice. Will be sure to speak to Acerboo prior to fitment.
Get Jeff to do the swop at Brands Hatch on the 26th.

While he does it,I'll get in 30 odd laps in his car and see how well it drifts around Druids

Bargain on the wheel by the way,can I be the first to say "lucky barsteward"

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #24
NJ 1161
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D M3

"Get Jeff to do the swop at Brands Hatch on the 26th.

While he does it,I'll get in 30 odd laps in his car and see how well it drifts around Druids "

Sounds like a deal to me!!

A good price but I'll wait until I have it in my hands before being to smug! You never know with eBay!
      06-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
Jat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M Sport

Can you easily fit paddle shifters on an pre-2007 car (mine is a 2006)?

Does the box have to be in "DS" for the paddles to work?

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Not sure on retro fitting. Sure someone will come along and advise shortly. I think I recall you can but think its a bit complicated.

Yes, though to paddles only working in ds.

If you do decide I have a nice standard 335d complete with paddles for sale soon
      06-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat View Post
Can you easily fit paddle shifters on an pre-2007 car (mine is a 2006)?

Does the box have to be in "DS" for the paddles to work?
you can do it but you need a seering wheel and paddles and a wiring loom (or you can make one up) there are a few threads on how to fit the paddles. the paddles should work in Ds or D as the factory fit. ive got a virtually new wheel and paddles for £150 you can look on ebay or google Burgertuing for the loom.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
Jat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
you can do it but you need a seering wheel and paddles and a wiring loom (or you can make one up) there are a few threads on how to fit the paddles. the paddles should work in Ds or D as the factory fit. ive got a virtually new wheel and paddles for £150 you can look on ebay or google Burgertuing for the loom.
PM Sent.

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #29
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

My paddles only work in ds. If I try them in d they work temporarily, then they revert back to d shortly after. Pretty sure this is standard.
      06-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #30
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
My paddles only work in ds. If I try them in d they work temporarily, then they revert back to d shortly after. Pretty sure this is standard.
Yes it is standard, but it all depends on your slipring. Some can shift in d and some in ds.

I got my Alcantara wheel the other day...............Sooooooooooooooooooo sexy man. lol

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #31
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
yes thats correct i think if you dont use them for about 30 secs it reverts back to auto. you got it fitted ok then?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #32
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

My wheels not arrived yet. Should be next couple if days.

AP- alcantara sounds superb. Details & pics please!
      06-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Its not fitted yet, Just sitting in the box It feels so good to the touch though. Its nice and thick.

Not sure wether to swap the paddles for LCI ones or DCT ones. I'm indifferent. Not sure also to go with the M Sport trim from my leather wheel, or get the Alcantara trim from BM?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Win!! Not sure about your paddle decision but you def need matching gear gaitor and handbrake ( if you hav'nt already got?)

I got black alcantara with red stitching, gear gaitor and handbrake boot for circa £20 via eBay and love em!
      06-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfully_Polite View Post
Yes it is standard, but it all depends on your slipring. Some can shift in d and some in ds.

I got my Alcantara wheel the other day...............Sooooooooooooooooooo sexy man. lol

dont want to spoil your day but i had the performance wheel with alcantara sides it went really manky after 18 months so bmw gave me the money back! i spent £150 and had it covered in leather. they are probably ok if you wear driving gloves.

if you change the paddles the dct will be PNP but the lci ones need to be modified and the wires re aranged to make them work or you can buy pre modified ones from nexon motors on ebay

Last edited by acerboo; 06-21-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #36
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
My wheels not arrived yet. Should be next couple if days.

AP- alcantara sounds superb. Details & pics please!
ah i see you mean the current paddles!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #37
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Win!! Not sure about your paddle decision but you def need matching gear gaitor and handbrake ( if you hav'nt already got?)

I got black alcantara with red stitching, gear gaitor and handbrake boot for circa £20 via eBay and love em!
I have they are in he post mate
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #38
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Yup, when I get my wheel I'll be dropping you a line for advice !
      06-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #39
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
dont want to spoil your day but i had the performance wheel with alcantara sides it went really manky after 18 months so bmw gave me the money back! i spent £150 and had it covered in leather. they are probably ok if you wear driving gloves
Lol, aww mr grumps. You didnt spoil my day. I am constantly Happy just ask Ian.

Bassically the problems with Alcantara wheels is sweaty/greasy hands. Not reccomended for those peeps. As the wheel goes, Technical term. manky. however with a bit of maintenance they stand for 10yrs plus.

Also Jeffy pie, PERCHLOROETHYLENE is reccomended for cleaning. Which I know a thing or two about.

But, in fairness I had already decided to keep the Leather M wheel as a back up. Just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Lol, aww mr grumps. You didnt spoil my day. I am constantly Happy just ask Ian.

Bassically the problems with Alcantara wheels is sweaty/greasy hands. Not reccomended for those peeps. As the wheel goes, Technical term. manky. however with a bit of maintenance they stand for 10yrs plus.

Also Jeffy pie, PERCHLOROETHYLENE is reccomended for cleaning. Which I know a thing or two about.

But, in fairness I had already decided to keep the Leather M wheel as a back up. Just to be on the safe side.
i tried cleaning it with everything but the thing with the dinosaur name! and my hands dont sweat, im the original mr cool! the main thing is you are happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i tried cleaning it with everything but the thing with the dinosaur name! and my hands dont sweat, im the original mr cool! the main thing is you are happy with it.
Lol, I wasn't insinuating you have bad hands. Im sure they are very nice

The dinosaur thing is a chemical which is used in dry cleaning. In all honesty if I get a year or two out of it i would be extremely happy as wont have the car for much more than that.

regards.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #42
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

AP, have you got a link for the alcantara cleaning product? My BMW performance wheel is over a year old and I've tried to stay on top with the cleaning but I've neglected it for a while and it looks a bit manky at the mo
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #43
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
AP, have you got a link for the alcantara cleaning product? My BMW performance wheel is over a year old and I've tried to stay on top with the cleaning but I've neglected it for a while and it looks a bit manky at the mo
I dont bud, What I can suggest though, is if you google Alcantara the website for the company Alcantara SPA has some great cleaning advice on there. As far as I know, You want to rub it down with a coth damped with water, dry and brush to fluff. But for stronger stains you can use, APC and careful blotch any stains and then run over with a damp water coth.

these should remove 90% of your stains, should you have any. As there is also reccomendations for different chemicals for different stains.

However, The perk i was reffering to is a dry clean chemical used by dry cleaners, In which case you would have to take the wheel to a dry cleaner for spot treatment. ( but this is worst case scenario)

Also check over on detailingworld for some handy advice.

Oh heck look ill find the link for you hang.

http://int.alcantara.com/#/en/menu/t...ry_maintenance

http://int.alcantara.com/uploadedFil...structions.pdf

Also there are vids online for maintenance on the performance wheel.... Or failing this you could always sell it to me

regards.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #44
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
I dont bud, What I can suggest though, is if you google Alcantara the website for the company Alcantara SPA has some great cleaning advice on there. As far as I know, You want to rub it down with a coth damped with water, dry and brush to fluff. But for stronger stains you can use, APC and careful blotch any stains and then run over with a damp water coth.

these should remove 90% of your stains, should you have any. As there is also reccomendations for different chemicals for different stains.

However, The perk i was reffering to is a dry clean chemical used by dry cleaners, In which case you would have to take the wheel to a dry cleaner for spot treatment. ( but this is worst case scenario)

Also check over on detailingworld for some handy advice.

Oh heck look ill find the link for you hang.

http://int.alcantara.com/#/en/menu/t...ry_maintenance

http://int.alcantara.com/uploadedFil...structions.pdf

Also there are vids online for maintenance on the performance wheel.... Or failing this you could always sell it to me

regards.
Thanks AP, appreciate you taking the time to write that up. I've got one mark by the thumb grip which won't shift so I'll speak to a dry cleaner about it. Saying that I let a friend borrow my car and he used a steering lock which has caused a small cut at the bottom of the wheel

BTW isn't your car an auto? My wheel won't fit yours
Appreciate 0