E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > wrapped my car

04-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #375
platinum911911
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i

Have you guys checked MetroDecals.com . . . they carry the Avery A9 Vinyl. . .which is suppose to be good
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #376
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325 is

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYR03 View Post
3ft=1yard=36in...240in=6.6yards so nope! I think the stuff on getcarbonfiber.com is laminated already becuase they are charinging twice as much as what i can get it from vinyl vendor. I also think that this is the same company as stickercity.com. I dont know...I'm backing out inch by inch the more I research on this subject. Its getting really expensive to be odd project...still the OP did an awesome job. I woder if he still has it on his car...where is he?? lol
Your getting the idea. This is not a $120 project unless someone gives you $400 worth of premium vinyl. With that in mind it takes most people several tries before they either give up or start to get the hang of it. Those of us in the business have spent countless hour of never ending research and thousands of dollars on training. Then there is the equipment cost like a laminator ($4 to $30k, mine was $16) and other little thingsto make our jobs easier.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for even if you do it yourself.

I have been really swamped this week but I hope to put together some info and pricing on material and where to get them this week end.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #377
xtreme_sign_guy
Rep
Drives: Custom Fabricated

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum911911 View Post
Yo whats the best price we can get for doing just the roof of the car with the 3M ? ?

Also is the Premium Cast Vinyl any good ? ? Thats all that they are adertised as, can't find any other name on it.

Thanks Pros
Premium Cast is what to look for when it comes to vehicle graphics. It will stretch and shrink with your vehicle when the body gets hot and expands. Stay away from calendered films.
If it's just the roof you are doing, go to a sign or vehicle restyling company and get them to do it for you for a couple hundred.

Last edited by xtreme_sign_guy; 04-30-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #378
sillygoat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i tiag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahyesiam View Post
Your getting the idea. This is not a $120 project unless someone gives you $400 worth of premium vinyl. With that in mind it takes most people several tries before they either give up or start to get the hang of it. Those of us in the business have spent countless hour of never ending research and thousands of dollars on training. Then there is the equipment cost like a laminator ($4 to $30k, mine was $16) and other little thingsto make our jobs easier.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for even if you do it yourself.

I have been really swamped this week but I hope to put together some info and pricing on material and where to get them this week end.
awesome... thanks for the help... ive been doing so much research and this stuff is complicated to order. Looks like 3m 180c is the best stuff out there though. Not cheap but im sure its easier to install and will protect the paint on our cars, so its worth it.
      04-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #379
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum911911 View Post
Have you guys checked MetroDecals.com . . . they carry the Avery A9 Vinyl. . .which is suppose to be good
A9 is good stuff for box trucks with rivets. it is what they use on railway cars for the DOT numbers and such because of the aggressive glue. It is very thin and rips very easy when you get rough with it. Wrapping a bumper you get really rough with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #380
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon vital View Post
First up, excellent effort for someone who has never fitted before.

I have to agree that the vinyl choice is poor and the areas you heated into the bumpers will probably lift soon as a calendered films will always try to return to their original state i.e flat. I wouldn't use 751 either, that is very thin and brittle.

I am surprised by some of the responses from yank fitters though, printing IJ380 and laminating with matt? What a waste of time. Don't 3M sell car wraping films over there? Look up 3M 85 series. It's a multi layered pre laminated film that we have in Europe (google focus RS500). Several other manufacturers do car wrap films now aswell including Avery and all do matt black. We done a Range Rover ourselves last week in a KPMF film
It is some what of a wast of time but the end result is a product that is durable and we can stand behind. Normally we print on everything anyway so it is not that big of a deal. There are more color wrap vinyls hitting the market now with the V3 type technologies now. However lamination is always recommended for longer life and easier application and removal.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #381
sillygoat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i tiag

Quote:
It is some what of a wast of time but the end result is a product that is durable and we can stand behind. Normally we print on everything anyway so it is not that big of a deal. There are more color wrap vinyls hitting the market now with the V3 type technologies now. However lamination is always recommended for longer life and easier application and removal.
Without lamination will the 3m 180c vinyl stain? Or can u pretty much just clean it up with a wash?
      04-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #382
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Stains

They are both vinyl so what stains one will stain the other but I have never seen anything really stain vinyl. On a gloss lam it it gets a scratch or something on it you can buff it out just like paint. With the matte finish you are screwed if you get a scratch in it. Minor ones can be taken out with heat if you are careful.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #383
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

This thread has turned into the re-invention of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #384
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Quote:
This thread has turned into the re-invention of the wheel.
Its a learning process so it's helping out big time having peole like you and the xtreme sign guy on here. I really do appreciate it. I'm doing more research but right now this project is on hold.
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #385
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYR03 View Post
Its a learning process so it's helping out big time having peole like you and the xtreme sign guy on here. I really do appreciate it. I'm doing more research but right now this project is on hold.
I find it amazing that this is exactly what the industry went through a few years back as wraps for advertising come into view. Now the customizers are trying to re invent and explain how to do what we have been doing for years. That is just how the cycle goes. Come to thing of it the Bass fisherman did the same thing. I still get calls on how do I wrap my boat.

Its is hard to keep from saying its easy you just pay me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #386
k-series
Rep
Drives: 95 Civic Si

Don't slam us for asking, you came on here to slam the OP for using sub-par material because you know better. When we start asking what's best, you slam us for not paying you to do it. Why not just say that from the beginning then we'll know not to ask you anything....

Since the largest part of this kind of work is labor, it's of course the easiest way to save money since DIY is all about removing the cost of labor. Now, if you don't have anything constructive to offer, just relax and watch as we re-invent the wheel. I'll say this however, once I figure out how to do it with some success, I'll gladly share my findings for FREE. :P

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #387
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-series View Post
Don't slam us for asking, you came on here to slam the OP for using sub-par material because you know better. When we start asking what's best, you slam us for not paying you to do it. Why not just say that from the beginning then we'll know not to ask you anything....

Since the largest part of this kind of work is labor, it's of course the easiest way to save money since DIY is all about removing the cost of labor. Now, if you don't have anything constructive to offer, just relax and watch as we re-invent the wheel. I'll say this however, once I figure out how to do it with some success, I'll gladly share my findings for FREE. :P

Steve
I didn't come on here to slam anybody. I have gave Kudos to the OP in serval post for pulling off a great install and have answered countless questions and PM's. I have hooked up at least 4 people on here with a local person to help them and I am working on a product info package to save you guys some research time. I have provided a ton of constructive comments to keep people from wasting there money but obviously you don't get it. Nor have I asked anybody for a single dime for what I have offered. You act like I can write a single post and give you a ten year crash course on how to do my craft. I have done 3 complete installs this week and barely find the time to post anything as it is. I merely made a statement as to I find it funny how the cycle continues to repeat itself. BTW the largest part of doing this is knowledge not labor. Installs are easy if you have the knowledge if you don;t then it is labor.

Since you want to come at me with and attitude you can go screw yourself and go pay 3k for wrap training like the some of us all ready have. Only a small portion of them succeed with there first few wraps. Go waste your time and money and I will just keep my knowledge to myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #388
k-series
Rep

Quote:
Go waste your time and money and I will just keep my knowledge to myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #389
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

You missed something.

Quote:
You left out the part out of the quote where I told you to go screw yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #390
Navith@Varrstoen
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 5spd

Haha damn, this thread just took a turn
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #391
ak47firepower
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 335i Cab

Garage List
2008 335i E93  [0.00]
Congrats on the DIY!!Props man!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #392
Dirnegrey
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

from what I've read so far 3M 180 and 220 are the best, but no matte colors?
      04-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #393
jon vital
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw mini

we're doing a 325 convertible in matt black next week using the KPMF wrap film. Will post pics when it's done.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #394
k-series
Rep

Quote:
You left out the part out of the quote where I told you to go screw yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #395
por986
Registered
Rep
Drives: 986

Info?

Quote:
If you are interested in getting a professional quote send me your email and I will have someone in your area contact you. You might be surprised to find out it is not as expensive as you thought.
Long thread, so it is likely I missed it somewhere in here, but it seems that sending you a message is not available/turned off - you are probably getting bombarded.

I appreciate the info you have posted and want you to connect me with someone local.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #396
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Quote:

Steve
Steve you need to chill out. You are screwing all of us up on e90post when we are getting help from these pros that actually knows what they are and what we are trying to do. If you read all of ahyesiam post before your post all he has done is help us out. Your post count is less than 10....you really need to just keep your comments to yourself if you're going to screw all of us.

Quote:
I didn't come on here to slam anybody. I have gave Kudos to the OP in serval post for pulling off a great install and have answered countless questions and PM's. I have hooked up at least 4 people on here with a local person to help them and I am working on a product info package to save you guys some research time. I have provided a ton of constructive comments to keep people from wasting there money but obviously you don't get it. Nor have I asked anybody for a single dime for what I have offered. You act like I can write a single post and give you a ten year crash course on how to do my craft. I have done 3 complete installs this week and barely find the time to post anything as it is. I merely made a statement as to I find it funny how the cycle continues to repeat itself. BTW the largest part of doing this is knowledge not labor. Installs are easy if you have the knowledge if you don;t then it is labor.

Since you want to come at me with and attitude you can go screw yourself and go pay 3k for wrap training like the some of us all ready have. Only a small portion of them succeed with there first few wraps. Go waste your time and money and I will just keep my knowledge to myself.
We appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us. Please ignore ignorant members on here that is not apart of the e90post family.
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0