E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Smart Black Suit... Where To Go?

12-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Smart Black Suit... Where To Go?

Hey guys,
I'm in need of a nice, stylish black suit which works well for both dinner events and business / formal meetings etc.

I'll be needing it for 2nd week of Dec and as time is running out, I went out and bought myself a Savile Row Richard James suit, which in all fairness was the best I've seen since looking last week. Was for £495 but with House of Fraser's 25% sale, I got it reduced which I was quite happy about... now problem is though.. I've just seen a Ted Baker one online and am having difficulty deciding which to go for.

It's about £175 cheaper and is from their Ted Baker Endurance range. Looks very sharp, stylish and very much a business savy come dinner occasion suit.

Are any of you able to shed light as to what is more durable, more popular etc? I'm unable to try on the Ted Baker due to lack of time so is it worth sticking with the Savile Row or try my luck with TB?

Oh and it must be a black suit as I have almost every other traditional colour.

Cheers,
Sam
      12-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

FWIW, I would never order a suit online. Fit is everything.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

I find the ted bakers do not wear well if any help and the trousers bottoms come not stitched so they can be adjusted for length - so you might have a time issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Agree about buying online, I've done this quite a few times (due to price), but often they get sent back so would be weary about doing this with a time pressure. Even if you'd had Ted Baker before, if you order the same size, the cut might be different and not fit at well.

I've never had a problem with the wear of Ted Baker though and must have owned over 10 over the years. My suits tend to get thrashed though (wear one every day) and Ted Baker has always fared well - can't say the same about my current range of Calvin Kleins though .

If you're happy with what you've gone then I'd stick with it.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers chaps. I've ordered the Ted Baker one just to test fit and compare to Richard James suit however, I'll be returning the Richard James as I'm not entirely happy with the jacket fit! I am ideally after a 2 button Alexandre Savile Row suit. I have a grey one from that range and it is simply the best fitting suit I have.

I don't wear suits everyday (well not in my current role) however I envisage this to change as time goes on and I become more and more senior LOL. Plus I think having a decent black suit is very important!

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a plain black Alexndre Savile row suit in Black? H o Fraser have none in stock which is shocking but not much of a surprise!

Cheers.

Last edited by AWBimmer; 12-03-2012 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

if a £100 suit fits properly, then it will look better than a £500 suit that doesnt
im a real stickler for names/brands, but was in the same boat as you over the weekend and I surprised myself by getting one from Next signature range which fitted just perfect in the jacket. The trousers need altering slightly, but I'll get that done in the week by someone local for £20 (as well as the next label cut out of the jacket) and Ive got a perfect suit for £200.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #7
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
if a £100 suit fits properly, then it will look better than a £500 suit that doesnt
im a real stickler for names/brands, but was in the same boat as you over the weekend and I surprised myself by getting one from Next signature range which fitted just perfect in the jacket. The trousers need altering slightly, but I'll get that done in the week by someone local for £20 (as well as the next label cut out of the jacket) and Ive got a perfect suit for £200.
Yeah I have to admit I’ve not seen any suits from Next. I’m attending an evening awards/dinner night for the industry I work in and it’s a tux / black tie event. I can get a full on evening dinner jacket but that will limit the suit’s use so hence I’m opting for the smart standard black suit. I’ll take a look at next over the weekend actually – their clothes do fit me well. You are right about brands as even a £100 jacket with the right fit will make one look better than the more expensive one - I wouldn’t want to rule anything out at this stage

Cheers.
      12-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
dobbo99
Major
Rep

I thought the same, I wouldnt spend money on a suit id only wear one or twice year, seems a waste to me. this one I'll wear for work, I can wear the trousers on their own, and the jacket looks decent with jeans as well.

this replaces a Hugo Boss suit I bought a couple of years ago while in america, I would say its of no worse quality, and equal fit. the Boss one was significantly more expensive.....

cant find the link for the Next one, you might wanna check out M&S as well, again I know they are THE brand or name to have, but it terms of value for money then they are hard to beat. If you find a style you like in store, you can order a mass of different sizes and fitting online (that you dont get in store)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I bought the Alexandre Savile Row for my Sister's wedding couple years back and have worn them twice since then.. that was about £600 so in terms of use, very little!

Then I bought a Navy Blue one from M&S in the summer- I've worn that about 6 times and fits perfect! In fact it's actually my favourite suit. Again, backing what you've said, it's non branded but Savile row inspired so whether there's a link there or not, not sure, but the label says 'Autograph' and it is simply a brilliant fit which cost me the best part of £200 two piece.

I did take a look at MnS for black suits, sadly limited collection in store.. might have to dig online again. Will wait to see how the TB ones turns out and go from there. Its the TB Endurance and from what I've read- there's better to be had (but everything is heavily subjective in the world of tailoring - what fits well on one can look a shambles on the other lol).
      12-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

I never look past Hugo Boss. Great range and free tailoring. So you end up with a suit that is perfect for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
I never look past Hugo Boss. Great range and free tailoring. So you end up with a suit that is perfect for you.
Slightly out of my price range as they're around £499+ however I must try one on as I'm pretty sure I'll want one if I try one and I'm a sucker for Boss smart shirts!
      12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

I have Boss and William Hunt suits. My Boss tux is now over 15 years old! Cost £375 back in the day so pretty pricey. That's when i discovered buy right, buy once!

But I also own suits from Burtons (emergency purchase when in London and wasn't told i was going to a wedding!) and M&S (functional when i was still wearing a suit day to day). And to be honest i'd recommend getting a well fitted M&S suit with spare trousers. The Jackets hardly ever wear out but you'll get through trousers over time. And it's a bit annoying not being able to find replacement trousers for your £600 suit because they no longer make them using the same fabric.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
dobbo99
Major
Rep

TM Lewin are doing deals on their suits at the moment, got an email earlier!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
I have Boss and William Hunt suits. My Boss tux is now over 15 years old! Cost £375 back in the day so pretty pricey. That's when i discovered buy right, buy once!

But I also own suits from Burtons (emergency purchase when in London and wasn't told i was going to a wedding!) and M&S (functional when i was still wearing a suit day to day). And to be honest i'd recommend getting a well fitted M&S suit with spare trousers. The Jackets hardly ever wear out but you'll get through trousers over time. And it's a bit annoying not being able to find replacement trousers for your £600 suit because they no longer make them using the same fabric.
That's a good advice. I rarely wear suits in all honesty where I am. Only seldom do I need to rock up in formals even though I'm in a croporate environment. It's usually smart casual, but I'd rather buy somehting to last than to cheap out now only to replace/regre later so Boss is on the cards as they seem to have such a wide range of suits. Just the price throws me off a little. Just gotta wait for the right deal to come through.
Thanks for the advice re: 2 x trousers - think I might need to start doing this lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
TM Lewin are doing deals on their suits at the moment, got an email earlier!
Cheers-- I'll happily buy shirts from TM Lewin but something stops me from buying suits from them. No previous experience just my gut instict..
      12-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Only buy tailored mate - guaranteed fit obviously. Good value.
http://www.dress2kill.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
What sort of prices are we talking for a 2 button suit?
      12-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Sorry to take this iff topic but can anyone reccomend decent place to buy formal shirts from? Nornally i get mine from tm lewis.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

No worries mate, not off topic its a good relevant question I just bought a nice couple of shirts from MnS and bfore I get slated, they were about £60 a shirt (white formal and pink formal) and they are such top quality it's bloody great lol. I know MnS... brand / image bla bla but if it's a good fitting shirt and you feel good in it, who cares where it's from lol and I'm only 25, lol.

Other than that, try Moss Bros (online mainly) - super quality and great prices... just bought my ted baker suit and it fits like a dream! Half the price of the Richard James yet fit and feel is much more superior and comfortable - again from MOSS Bros.
      12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Thanks Sam will have a look at Moss Bros. I tend to vary where I buy my shirts. A while ago Matalan did do some nice shirts (I know some people will laugh) but nothing catch's my eye and same with Next. IMO next have overpriced shirts and quality isnt what it used to be so been looking elsewhere. I stumbled in TJ lewis (as for what I needed I knew would be overpriced for everyday wear) but managed to come across quite a few shirts and ended up spending a little fortune just on formal shirts, tbh they are bloody well good quality - now I know the meaning buy cheap buy twice lol
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
+1

I only own 2 suits and they don't need to be worn every day. Just for weddings, funerals and court appearances so probably not appropriate for the type of use here.

However, everyone should have a tailor made suit at some point in their life. It's cheaper than you think and the fit just can not be matched by anything bought off a peg even if it's later tailored.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Sorry to take this iff topic but can anyone reccomend decent place to buy formal shirts from? Nornally i get mine from tm lewis.
http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/default.as...||||||||||||||

Very good for everything

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0