E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bird's VRSF downpipes install - really, 10 hours of labour?!

03-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #67
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I've been in constant contact with the customer since the first step. I've known exactly what was going on and I suggested they get a quote before proceeding with the install simply to avoid this kind of problem.

There's no incurred costs if our product doesn't fit, we pay every penny. It's not their responsibility and we don't make it out to be.
Tiago, it's great to see this kind of response as not every vendor stands by their product in the same way often leaving the customer to pickup the pieces for R&D. So kudos for putting faith back into this! Hopefully the pictures the OP has will allow you to see if this was a one off or some modifications can be done to further improve fitment for RHD cars.
      03-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #68
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Sounds like a good result all round.

I think we should let this thread die now. It provides an unfair reflection on the two companies to the casual observer.
      03-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #69
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
I think we should let this thread die now. It provides an unfair reflection on the two companies to the casual observer.
I couldn't agree more,both Kevin @Birds and Tiago @VRSF were put in positions that neither wanted,but have made good the scenario for Oleg.

Job jobbed,happy daze all round

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #70
Birds BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Birds Tuning & Quaife LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Seeing as Kevin is now on the scene I think it's important I elaborate on my points.

To some extent I wish I had thought before I wrote something as harsh as 'they'll never have a penny of my money if I can avoid it etc' as that's not really how I feel. What I do feel is that the cost of the fitted LSD is excessive and genuinely doesn't represent value for me. The labour rate appears extremely high to me vs other companies of a comparable standing.

In short then, I will never pay £3,000 for an LSD, it's too much. That's not a Birds specific statement - it's just my view.

There is one other reason why I made the comments I have which is not related to this and which I have just made Kevin aware of by PM, but it's nothing major and wasn't to do with the work that Birds do, which I am sure is great.

Matt
Me again. Who told you that a Quaife install for your car was 3k? The most expensive version, (for the DCT & Manual 335i cars) is £2,048.98 including VAT and installation here per our website.

I don't mind if people don't recognise us as being particularly cheap, but I wouldn't like all to think we add 1k to our published prices at a whim!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #71
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Hey Kevin, i don't suppose this would be a good time to ask for a forum discount on a 335D Quaife installation?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #72
Birds BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Hey Kevin, i don't suppose this would be a good time to ask for a forum discount on a 335D Quaife installation?
Welded drives are complicated and time consuming. It's not like we have the opportunity to "stack high, sell cheap", since each job is an individual process, rather than an order for 50 units from a supplier who can deal with it on a production line basis. The only straightforward way of making these jobs cheaper is to carry out the work on the customers own final drive, rather than providing a complete final drive in exchange. That reduces the cost by around £140+vat, but takes the car off the road for 5 days.

Having said that, I acknowledge the request, and will see if we can do something for the forum. We aren't sponsors, so this would have to be proposed or managed by one of you guys. I will pm you if I can work out something sensible.

Regards, Kevin.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #73
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Kev - same question but I've an LCI 335d which "may" have gone back to bolted diffs. Is there an easy way to tell?
      03-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #74
scaryprowler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT

Hmmmm... I may also be interested (09 Pre-LCI DCT 335i)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #75
texasjohn
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also interested in a group buy Kevin...

Previous: F31 340i, E90 335i SE, E87 130i, F10 550i, E92 335i, E61 550i, E90 335iM, E87 130i, E87 118d, Z4M, Z4 3.0i SMG, E46 330D, Z3M, Z3 3.0i, Z3 3.0i (USDM)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #76
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I suppose having just spotted this thread again I must return to eat humble pie once more. As Kevin says, even for a DCT the price for an LSD does appear to be £20XX even in the old quote I've got, so I've got my numbers significantly wrong there.

So once again I apologize.

If it helps, if a GB comes along I'll have a look at it and if doing some business with Birds helps clear the air and if my bonus comes through in April, I'm in.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #77
Birds BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Kev - same question but I've an LCI 335d which "may" have gone back to bolted diffs. Is there an easy way to tell?
In a word, no.....Only way is to remove the drive and rear cover to look inside.
If you submit your VIN, we can look on BMW ETK to see which final drive part number BMW say your car was built with. Inevitably, very few 335d cars were built with bolted drives, and some of them don't have drives with identifiable part numbers.
So we occasionally see cars that have part number that do not exist on BMWs parts database. Always best to assume it's welded, and sometimes you can get a nice surprise. I know this doesn't help if you are running up against a strict budget.
So pm me your VIN, and I'll let you know what drive you have.

I'm kind of interested to know who says they have gone back to bolted differentials. That's not been seen in our workshops, and the only organisations licensed do this process are VAC in the USA (not many diesels over there), Atomic Import in Russia, and Southern BM in Oz.

As it happens, all of the later cars, F20, F30 etc. that we have seen also have welded drives, even with the smaller engined cars. We have to face up to the fact that this is the way it will be in the future, and of course we are actively looking for better and cheaper ways of dealing with these drives.

Regards, Kevin.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #78
Birds BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I suppose having just spotted this thread again I must return to eat humble pie once more. As Kevin says, even for a DCT the price for an LSD does appear to be £20XX even in the old quote I've got, so I've got my numbers significantly wrong there.

So once again I apologize.

If it helps, if a GB comes along I'll have a look at it and if doing some business with Birds helps clear the air and if my bonus comes through in April, I'm in.

Matt
Absence of a reaction to the group buy request isn't from a lack of interest, I promise.
Fact is that this is really difficult to do. We have purchased around 20 complete final drives, which are either in stock, in transit to or from customers around the world, or in our machine shop at any given time. We currently have orders for final drives that aren't in stock, so demand is pretty high.

All I can think of is that we could provide a list of drives that are available from stock at any given time, and the models that they fit, and do an offer based on installation here. In that case, we should be able to reduce the price by a small but worthwhile amount.

Note that we do not sponsor this forum, so it will be for one of you to propose it. If someone would like to take this up, then pm me with your VIN and I will give the information.

Regards, Kevin.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #79
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds BMW View Post
Absence of a reaction to the group buy request isn't from a lack of interest, I promise.
Fact is that this is really difficult to do. We have purchased around 20 complete final drives, which are either in stock, in transit to or from customers around the world, or in our machine shop at any given time. We currently have orders for final drives that aren't in stock, so demand is pretty high.

All I can think of is that we could provide a list of drives that are available from stock at any given time, and the models that they fit, and do an offer based on installation here. In that case, we should be able to reduce the price by a small but worthwhile amount.

Note that we do not sponsor this forum, so it will be for one of you to propose it. If someone would like to take this up, then pm me with your VIN and I will give the information.

Regards, Kevin.
I've been waiting patiently to see if there are any other takers for organising this, but if not, I will do so. Will hopefully help clear the air if I can assist anyway.

Kevin you have my VIN and we have spoken recently about my quote so it might be an easy requote for you - I think you mentioned that the price had changed since my original quote anyway.

I would still be keen on doing the ARB's at the same time as well, although I will leave the suspension as I suspect it will take my car too low - with the CAI I have I'm already rubbing inside the wheel arch.

Feel free to drop me what info about the process you are proposing via email and I will write something up and get it posted.

Thanks Kevin,

Rgds
Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #80
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds BMW View Post
In a word, no.....Only way is to remove the drive and rear cover to look inside.
If you submit your VIN, we can look on BMW ETK to see which final drive part number BMW say your car was built with. Inevitably, very few 335d cars were built with bolted drives, and some of them don't have drives with identifiable part numbers.
So we occasionally see cars that have part number that do not exist on BMWs parts database. Always best to assume it's welded, and sometimes you can get a nice surprise. I know this doesn't help if you are running up against a strict budget.
So pm me your VIN, and I'll let you know what drive you have.

I'm kind of interested to know who says they have gone back to bolted differentials. That's not been seen in our workshops, and the only organisations licensed do this process are VAC in the USA (not many diesels over there), Atomic Import in Russia, and Southern BM in Oz.

As it happens, all of the later cars, F20, F30 etc. that we have seen also have welded drives, even with the smaller engined cars. We have to face up to the fact that this is the way it will be in the future, and of course we are actively looking for better and cheaper ways of dealing with these drives.

Regards, Kevin.
Well - I'd imagine I've been misinformed as you seem pretty much certain things have NOT changed back. Perhaps by someone else eager to have the work done but not wanting to spend well over 4 figures on it

I'll check the VIN when I'm in range of the car (Won't be for at least a week as I'm away) again for you and send it over.
      04-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #81
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

FWIW - I had work done from Birds last year and whilst they were 20% more expensive then Berry BMW Heathrow, they inspired more confidence in me that the work would be properly carried out, so I went with them.

The job was carried out to a high standard and I was happy with the result and no issues (touch wood) since
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #82
Birds BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Re Forum offer

A very kind gentleman from this forum has stepped up to the plate, and hopefully will be able to propose an offer soon......
Appreciate 0