E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > RANT: BMW nightmare...Time For Lexus?

06-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
sungmin
playing the field
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Lunch is for Wimps

Unhappy RANT: BMW nightmare...Time For Lexus?

Hi everybody, this is my first post here but ive been lurking these forums for a long time. This might be long.

Just wanted to share my problems with my 325i (mind you, I love this car). Bought it in Jan 06, its a post-sept build and i got it from Modesto BMW in cali. The night i bought it, i was elated considering i was coming from a pos civic, but the next morning is when the curse began...

I found damage on the rear bumper--two holes through the paint and you can see the plastic of the bumper. On closer inspection you can see bmw grille marks and can tell it was from the dealership. Since i live in sacramento, i didnt want to go all the way back to modesto bmw to get it fixed. Now that i think about it, i should have. My fault for buying it at night!

Fast forward a couple weeks and my idrive starts acting up. Reboots, freezes, etc, but thankfully this went away completely somehow after a couple days.

Then I encountered this grinding sound when turning the wheel fully. Didn't worry me but it became more noticeable after a month.

Now, just a couple of days ago, I think my car hit the rock bottom of car problems with crazy transmission problems. I was driving at moderate speed in regular D and all of a sudden the transmission downshifts on its own and my car bogs like it went into NEUTRAL. Gave it gas and no response. I got scared shitless since it was on a busy street but after a couple seconds it went back to normal. The next day it happened again and this time a warning came on: "TRANSMISSION FAILSAFE, DRIVE MODERATELY". I got pissed and I couldn't rev the car past 3k rpm.

I drove it like a grandma to the dealership 30 minutes away and today they just told me they are going to replace the transmission. And all this time i hoped it would be a computer problem.

Now, i normally wouldnt take the time to write this much but i felt this was important to know. My SA told me they don't know what the problem is, just that "the guys at BMW want to replace it." To top it off, he told me they were going to reuse my screwed up transmission for another car in the factory and probably sell it as new. I was like WTF why did you just tell me that? I really dont understand why he said that, maybe hes just a prick. Do they really do this?

Anyway, please somebody console my poor situation....hopefully i'm not the only one that needed a whole new transmission within 4 months of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I would call BMW NA and try to deal with a different dealership.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Hopefully you are the only one that needed a new tranny. There is no way that BMW is going to ship a tranny back to Germany or South Africa to put it in a new car. Bizarre story. Your SA should know exactly what went wrong with your tranny.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

interesting...a member on here was about to take delivery on his ride when the SA took it for a spin post PDI and noticed something similar...he didnt even get to drive the car home and it's getting a new tranny put in...i hope you get your problem resolved and this is IT
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungmin

I found damage on the rear bumper--two holes through the paint and you can see the plastic of the bumper. On closer inspection you can see bmw grille marks and can tell it was from the dealership. Since i live in sacramento, i didnt want to go all the way back to modesto bmw to get it fixed. Now that i think about it, i should have. My fault for buying it at night!
sorry to hear about it. It really sucks that a dealership could be so careless. You might have been able to get them to fix it if you called them up right away. It obviously seems like their fault.

Quote:
Fast forward a couple weeks and my idrive starts acting up. Reboots, freezes, etc, but thankfully this went away completely somehow after a couple days.

Then I encountered this grinding sound when turning the wheel fully. Didn't worry me but it became more noticeable after a month.
Yeah, early model teething issues. Absolutely a pain in the a**. However, at least it's something that the warranty should cover either way.

Quote:
Now, i normally wouldnt take the time to write this much but i felt this was important to know. My SA told me they don't know what the problem is, just that "the guys at BMW want to replace it." To top it off, he told me they were going to reuse my screwed up transmission for another car in the factory and probably sell it as new. I was like WTF why did you just tell me that? I really dont understand why he said that, maybe hes just a prick. Do they really do this?
If it's a fixable problem, and there's no damage to other parts of the tranny, I don't see why they wouldn't. Tranmissions are rather complex and expensive pieces of equipment to just 'toss'. I figure it's just easier for them to send you a new transmission, and then repair / resell the faulty one one their own. Personally, I'd rather have a new transmission than a dealer-repaired old one anyway, wouldn't you?

In either case, any car can have problems, even a Lexus. I still feel for you though. If I was in your situation, I too would be upset. Hope all your car's problems get resolved.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

sorry for all ur problems. did u buy off the lot or custom ordered? i would be pissed as well if 4 months into owning a new car and have to replace transmission. this is not a widespread issue as far as i know. i think what the sa was referring to is they will remanufacture the transmission and sell it as used but rebuilt to factory spec. this will negatively impact the image of bmw in your mind but this happens to acura and lexus as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Darrel Revok
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI

Your first problem sounds like a problem with a shady dealer selling you a damaged car. Could happen with any manufacturer.

And as for the transmission, it sucks, but at least they are replacing it. I would rather them replace it then fix it. It is not like with a Subaru or Mitsubishi where they say it was owner abuse and we're not fixing it.

Was your car brand new, or did it have some miles on it when you got it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

BMW automatics are certainly not known for being durable at all

BMW manuals on the other hand............
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

I'm still trying to figure out how one can get BMW grill marks since the grill is behind the bumper in the front.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

I remember reading about a load of e46 steptronic owners having tanny replacements on new e46 as well as e46 with 20-40K miles on them. This was a major problem I remember. Everyone was talking lemon law (3 strikes SAME issue...), some owners on their 2nd/3rd tranny and still had problems.

They were being replaced with rebuilds (refurb.) but many agreed there was nothing wrong with them being rebuilds. They are rebuilt to factory standards. It just sucks that they have to dive into a new car like that.

Go to any bmw forum (e46). It could make you feel much better or worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
Curt3s
In your rear view mirror making funny faces.
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well. I can say the folks at BMW SF have taken good care of me.

Best of luck.

'06 325i - Premium - Sport - iDrive Navigation - Bluetooth Cradle - Sparkling Graphite - Grey Interior - Aluminum Trim (GT4 330 Pictured)

"And with the amount of power he has in that BMW he is just leaving them behind right now."
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #12
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
I'm still trying to figure out how one can get BMW grill marks since the grill is behind the bumper in the front.
and why his first post is about such problems

hmmm sounds fishy to me too, I bet he doesn't even have an E90

just trollin' along
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

Sorry to hear that man, cars are just like a box of apples. Bound to be some rotten ones in there, sorry to hear you got a bad one.

Luckily you live in CA, so lemon laws are very friendly towards the consumer. You are also completely covered under warranty so find a good dealer and develop a good relationship with the service people there, I'm sure they can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #14
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I understand your frustration about having any kind of problems with a new car, but I think your problems really aren't so bad. Certainly they could be worse. From everything you have said it sounds to me like your dealer is doing right by you. You can't blame them for the holes in your bumper if you never reported it to them. They can't fix it if they don't know about it.

I would definitely mention the I-drive problems and the grinding sound in your steering so it can be on record with the dealer, and so they can have a chance to address it.

Remember, if you have ongoing problems that the dealer can't resolve the lemon law requires they refund your money or replace your vehicle.

Try to change your attitude and look more on the bright side of things. You may find that your car troubles miraculously work themselves out or dissapear altogether.
      06-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #15
Acornz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Really sorry to hear about all those problems you've been having. It's because of things like that I will never buy a used car but apparently it can happen to brand new ones as well. Anyway, don't give up on BMW's so quick because they are great cars. We also have an IS350 and FYI (since you mentioned going to a Lexus) they are very different cars. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #16
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sucks man.. Hope they fix it soon. I do not think this is a very common problem. I think its just bad luck.

hope your luck turns soon.
      06-06-2006, 12:06 AM   #17
sungmin
playing the field
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Lunch is for Wimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
and why his first post is about such problems

hmmm sounds fishy to me too, I bet he doesn't even have an E90

just trollin' along
Sorry if you think im a troll, its just that i felt a problem worth noting should be posted. My main intention was to see if any other people had transmission problems with their e90 yet. i searched and found very little (mostly steptronic being laggy or something) but that doesnt sound like a mfr defect.

anyway, about the grille comment--im not really sure what my rear bumper damage is from but if you look closely, you can see an outline scratch of the lower part of a bmw grille. The damage is all below the bumper crease..i think the car was bumped from another on a loading truck?? I will try to upload a pic later.

Oh, and I did call modesto bmw 2 days after i bought the car (car was bought off lot, not ordered), and they said they have to look at the damage first in person before they fix, and even then, they said its not 100% sure they would do so. I would have drove the 1 1/2 hours if they said they would ensure replacement, but they weren't sure, so i said screw it. i know..my fault.

EDIT: BTW the car has 3000 miles (had 18 when i bought it off lot). ALSO if it helps, i remember my SA saying that BMW wouldnt disclose info about my trans problem to him and that it sounds like a problem BMW knew about all along.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #18
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
e46 had similar auto trans issues, most of them would fail 30-50K miles some right after the warranty. I hope this doesnt become an epidemic as my mom and my girl both drive auto e90s. Hope you get it resolved. Good luck.
      06-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #19
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Wow this is when the full maint is worth it weight in gold....give it a chance, and ya should let the Manager of the dealership know what this guy told ya hey cars have problems ....but as soon as your ride gave ya problems ya should have taken it in man do not wait...and the Idrive just needs an update....you will be fine. Remember they all have problems....now you will see what they are made of on how they take care of you
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #20
BeeEmDubU
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 325i

i'm sorry to hear that. all car manufacturers are not perfect and will have their share of defects. as for bmw reusing your transmission, if that is true, that is really really messed up...

speaking of lexus, i went with my brother who was suposed to pick up his custom ordered is250 after a three month wait. it turns out that they dealership ordered it wrong (auto instead of manual) and long story short, he has to wait another 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #21
NaTuReB0Y