E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Is e92 xi/x drive necessary in CO?

05-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Is e92 xi/x drive necessary in CO?

I have been driving E46 coupe for about 5 years. Time for a newer coupe for a DD.
Looking at e92s. Mostly 328s because I don't need additional power and headaches that come with turbos. I have an audi a4 for the headache that comes with turbos.

Although I never had much issues with my lowered e46 coupe in the winters, it does get pretty hairy at times in the highway and driving on unpaved streets is sometimes a nightmare being lowered.

My question is, does xi/xdrive make that big of a difference in Denver winters?
How much of gas mileage and performance penalty am I looking at if I choose xi over i? I am looking for more personal observations than numbers.

My commute is about 20 miles a day, mostly main roads and highway 50/50. We do have audi quattro and can share it with wife on extreme climate days. But is reassurance of xi really worth it if there is performance penalties and gas mileage hit on 328?

If someone sees a good deal on a 328 coupe or planning to sell, let me know. I did see a blue coupe xi in local CL, but wanted to check here before I even contact the seller.

Thanks,
TJ
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
DiabloCO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lola, 08 335xi crimson red

I just purchased an xi coupe in feb with contipro ssr's. I also have a z3 with studded champiros. In my opinion the z3 was far more stable through town and at high speeds than the xi With all seasons. That being said the decision should be based on the inclines and the amount of mountain activitys you do. im happy with the xi because it will get through mud in the summer and take me anywear in the winter with studded snows. Where as i would be hesitant taking the z even with studs through the backcountry in the winter.

All in all if you stay on flat land get a rwd with studs or winter tires. if you see any adventuring go xi. Im happy i did, but i hate not having the thrill of a rwd oversteer during winter and summer on flat land
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Fnne99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

I've lived in Co my whole life and owned rwd and 4wd vehicles. Rwd can be done with little trouble with proper tires. Where you would run into problems is with the occasional 2-3ft snow storm where you would need 4wd plus some good ground clearance. If you plan on traveling the mtns in the winter, go with the xi. Less headache and more convienience.
If it's just a cumuter car in a major city, rwd will be aok.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

I have had both an E91 328xi and E90 335xi(current). Gas mileage is actually 1mpg better on average per tank in the 335. The power is way better, the 328 feels like a slug under normal conditions. It is fun when you keep the rvs up such mountain pass.

I have a 2011 335 so its the N55. It's been bullet proof so far. I also believe the Xdrive is the way to go.
      05-06-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

It depends on what you want. xDrive drivers love there cars 365 days in a year, while the RWD have a couple of headaches with some storms and wished they had the AWD. Tires make the most difference in winter though, whether it is AWD or RWD. Gas mileage is almost no difference at all, coming from someone with a N55 1 series (RWD) and a N54 3 series (AWD).

And in Colorado, there are more xi's then i's for sale. And when you go to sell or trade in, expect a lower resale value of the RWD since it really isn't wanted too much here in CO. But in the end it's up to you and what you want. I got stuck once or twice with snow tires in 3+ years with RWD ones, and never stuck and felt more confident with snow tires and the xDrive. I feel like it's worth your piece of mind to get the AWD, and it doesn't sound like you need a RWD like some people want for tracking.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I like having the benefit of AWD during the snow, which makes up for me wanting RWD in the summers. I had a RWD high HP car that I had to drive in the snow a couple times, and while it wasnt terrible with a good set of tires, the slightest mistake could send it spinning. And I definately would never have driven it on the highway or at anything near highway speeds.

Like others have said though, AWD or RWD, make sure you have good tires. I put my summer tires on a little too early this year and it was a little hairy at times.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your comments. Looks like I am inclining towards xi/x drive from the comments.

I lived with RWD E46 for 5 years. Got stock twice and slipped once. But it was hairy driving in ice and always thinking of loosing traction. A little snow was not a problem. But after buying a quattro A4, getting stuck has been thing of past. In fact, I didn't drive e46 at all last winter.
But summer is different, A4 is just not enjoyable as my E46. And inline 6 is so much smoother than the 4 banger turbo.

I have driven a lot of RWD E90/92 but not a single xi/xdrive. Hence, I wanted to ask here if there was much of a difference in drive feeling and mpg.

The car is going to be a DD, so it wont see any power mods not do I want any. May be lower it a little if I go with AWD, because 4x4 status is just a bit too tall for me. Same with Audi quattro.

Reliability, all weather and mpg is what I am looking at right now because my commute will increase significantly once I move towards south denver. Hence I am looking at 328s.

Also, it will be automatic because wife is completely against driving a manual in traffic. Since, we are going to be driving whichever car that is on the front of the driveway, I can't put my monopoly on getting a manual.
Of and we don't have a garage so, all season tires on both cars. No storage space for two set of wheels for two cars. Thats why looking for all the options and make decision on best compromise.

Unless I find an impeccable 335, I think I will stay with 328s.

So, consensus is
1. xi/x drive 328 doesnt rob the power and mpg much?
2. xi/x drive 328 is reliable for a DD?
3. xi/x drive 328 is still RWD biased so the fun is still there?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
DiabloCO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lola, 08 335xi crimson red

The xi pushes alot through the corners. i would stick with a square setup to help balance fr9nt and rear traction. If you find the push really bad it would be time for an lsd. Im considering it for mine since i love the way you can oversteer a rwd vehicle
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #9
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have been debating with RWD vs AWD for weeks now. I am not able to find a proper combination on xi's yet and haven't driven an xi on snow yet.
Just sold my e46. So, I might just buy RWD if the right combination pops up since I need a second car anyway. I have been looking as far as Texas, but not much of coupes for sale anywhere. Dilemma Dilemma.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
ljmib
Play It Safe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Lux/Sport

I just moved to CO and have a e90 335 RWD I haven't had much of an issue over the last 6-7 months, but I will say it does pay to have the proper tires.

Although I avoid driving when the weather is insane. AWD would probably get me out of the house more often when the snow is really coming down, but I have a Jeep for those days.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #11
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmib View Post
I just moved to CO and have a e90 335 RWD I haven't had much of an issue over the last 6-7 months, but I will say it does pay to have the proper tires.

Although I avoid driving when the weather is insane. AWD would probably get me out of the house more often when the snow is really coming down, but I have a Jeep for those days.
I do have audi quattro for those days. I am still debating between AWD/RWD. If the car with right combo comes up, I will take a plunge. Why are coupes so scarce? I have been searching even in Utah, Kansas, Texas, Arizona. I am ready to fly and drive back for upto 500-600 miles and still.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #12
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

When i bought my sedan, all I could find was coupes lol
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
The Bavarian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90 M-Sport, AT, PPK

I've been in the Denver/Boulder Area all my life. Recently purchased a 335i RWD that came with a set of Blizark tires. I plan to drive it every month of the year... but them again, I have a lifted Land Cruiser for when it really gets ugly.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
When i bought my sedan, all I could find was coupes lol
Lol. The issue is, I am not able to find a right combination. sports, premium and winter package together is hard to come by looks like. There are tons of nice cars for sale but there are either missing sports, memory seats or heated seats. Both are must for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bavarian View Post
I've been in the Denver/Boulder Area all my life. Recently purchased a 335i RWD that came with a set of Blizark tires. I plan to drive it every month of the year... but them again, I have a lifted Land Cruiser for when it really gets ugly.
I did drive my RWD e46 for 5 years and have an AWD audi (wife's car) for those days. But just wanted a freedom of not worrying in the winter. I don't have a place to store winter wheels/tires. Else I'd not be looking at xi's. I have had quite a few scary moments with E46 in winter with all seasons plus got stuck on parking spots on streets more than I would have liked. That is the reason xi's came into picture. Also, having an AWD this winter was such a relief. I was not worried about getting stuck at all. But if the right RWD with everything I want comes up, I am going to buy it. AWD robs the mpg anyway.
Hopefully something pops up soon. I know the prices dealers pay on the trade ins and when I see their quoted prices for sale, I feel like slapping them on the face. But hey unless I find one, I can't be complaining.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #15
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After a year. I am back.
Found an 09 e92 328i xdrive with all the options I wanted except pdc. Probably will retrofit it anyway.
I paid a little more than what the normal price is for an 09 coupe. But the options were all there. I didn't want to go through the retrofits I did on e46 and Audi b7.
So, everyone HI again. Glad to be back on the inline six train. Since wife and I work nearby, we are planning to sell the Audi now. No need to have two awd cars.
Appreciate 1