E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Nano-coatings

10-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Nano-coatings

Hey guys been in the detailing seen for about 2 years now and I\'m getting tempted to try one of the new nano coatings. From what I\'ve gathered opti coat 2.0, cquartz, or aquartz are the major players.

My main concern is that I won\'t like the silkiness/feel of them, especially after a month or so. Just how easily do they make washing off dirt/bugs? Considering just buying enough to do wheels and front bumper (when I remove clear bra)

Anyone have experience? Which would you suggest? Also to the pro\'s, is it \"worth it\"? As in do you use on your own cars? Or is Powerlock topped with supernatural the place to stay?
      10-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

How in-depth of an answer would you like me to give?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I'm also interested in the answer. Can they replace standard sealants like the Klasse & Wolfgang sealants?
      10-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
I'm also interested in the answer. Can they replace standard sealants like the Klasse & Wolfgang sealants?
I feel like this is a GREAT topic of discussion, and while I can type and type and type and attempt to share my personal thoughts and feelings, I'd much rather bring multiple people and points of views into this, to include all of you.

When you begin to think of "permanent" coatings and how they last, I first want to make you remember this: why the auto industry moved away from single-stage enamel paint to base-coat+clear-coat finishes in the first place.
Any guesses?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
When you begin to think of "permanent" coatings and how they last, I first want to make you remember this: why the auto industry moved away from single-stage enamel paint to base-coat+clear-coat finishes in the first place.
Any guesses?
I would guess the clear coat gives a gloss and lasts much longer than wax which would need to be constantly applied to protect exposed enamel paint?

Also possibly due to environmental regulations reducing the amount of lead and other toxic substances in paint. Without the clear coat you'd need more paint to survive daily use?
      10-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would guess the clear coat gives a gloss and lasts much longer than wax which would need to be constantly applied to protect exposed enamel paint?

Also possibly due to environmental regulations reducing the amount of lead and other toxic substances in paint. Without the clear coat you'd need more paint to survive daily use?
Exactly. Rather than your black car turning pale grey or your red car turning pink, clear-coated finishes add their own "depth" and maintain their shine. So imagine 20-30 years ago when everyone was switching to base/clear, and one of the benefits was "you no longer need to wax your car!"

Odd to think isn't it?

Here we are, all this time passed, and we're still using wax to "preserve" our finishes. Clear-coat doesn't oxidize and fade the same way single-stage would, but it can certainly have a big drop in clarity if not waxed / sealed regularly. The difference in our cars as enthusiasts versus the general public still exists. You and I and even the general public can see the difference in how good our cars looks, but it's nothing like yester-year when comparing a pink car (theirs) versus red car (ours).

Time passes and technology continues to improve. Synthetic products begin to hit the market. They don't have the 180 degree melting point carnauba does. They apply thinner, they're slicker, they last longer. Now you have things like Opti-Coat, something that's very close to permanent. Will this make it so you don't need to wax? You will no longer seal your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep

So mutt, out of the coating currently out, which would you reccomend?
      10-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

I've used three, but I continue to use Opti-Coat.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How long does opti-coat last? How's does it look compared to regular sealants? Once you apply opti-coat is there any reason to put regular sealant over it or is that redundant?

Update: Came across this review.

Last edited by Dukat; 10-12-2011 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've used three, but I continue to use Opti-Coat.
What makes you like it more? Im a little hesitant due to it having a more finicky aplocation and not being "as" slick. Although the later might be nelgible. Ever do anything to up the slickness? Like use cq reload?
      10-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #11
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

opticoat has a very high friction rubber like finish. I also wouldnt call these nano coats "permanent" they only last 2 years much less than a real clear coat
If you want a super slick finish like what sealants give you but easier application you can consider the gtech c1 nano coat
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How long does opti-coat last? How's does it look compared to regular sealants? Once you apply opti-coat is there any reason to put regular sealant over it or is that redundant?

Update: Came across this review.

Read my earlier posts in this thread. Is there any reason to apply sealant now let alone after opti-coat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
What makes you like it more? Im a little hesitant due to it having a more finicky aplocation and not being "as" slick. Although the later might be nelgible. Ever do anything to up the slickness? Like use cq reload?
Durability. The 2.0 removes some of the hardships of application, but it's still not the easiest. If slickness is a concern, use another product on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
opticoat has a very high friction rubber like finish. I also wouldnt call these nano coats "permanent" they only last 2 years much less than a real clear coat
If you want a super slick finish like what sealants give you but easier application you can consider the gtech c1 nano coat
Not permanent enough eh? I've seen a car that had Opti-Coat applied 19 months prior and was still going strong in person. I've had to polish off opti-coat after a too streaky application as no other product would remove it. If that's not permanent, I don't know what is.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #13
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:

Not permanent enough eh? I've seen a car that had Opti-Coat applied 19 months prior and was still going strong in person. I've had to polish off opti-coat after a too streaky application as no other product would remove it. If that's not permanent, I don't know what is.
that's what actually "scares" me about some of these coatings, they don't seem very forgiving if you make a mistake during application. For that reason I've stuck with more traditional sealants, it would just bum me out to no end if I had to re-polish the whole car after all that work.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

I personally have over a year of protection using Opti coat, and its till going strong. Others that I trust have 2 yrs, while others are saying 5 yrs. Durability has so many variables that can effect it, so its hard to compare unless you do side by sides.....even then. Opti coat is a coating not nano based. I haven't got the same durability out of the nanos in comparison to OC.

Slickness: The water rips off the surface! If you like to pet your cars paint these won't feel as slick.

Here is an article on the product: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...opti-coat-2-0/

Cheers,
GREG
      10-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

I am on the other side of the fence on this one...i like to polish a car and restore the gloss and clarity of the paint...cant do that with a coating without taking the coating off, rendering it pointless!

besides, i dont think that opti-coat can be topped as nothing will stick to it properly, correct me if I am wrong!?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:05 AM   #16
robin420
Rep
Drives: e90 320i

@MuttGrunt
if im going to apply a sealant; cquartz or opticoat2.0, is it considered a waste if i top it off with carnauba wax after weeks or month? and then re-seal per-6 months? thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

3 different products or approaches.
Sealants can and typically are topped with waxes;
Cquartz will take a booster ot topping, CarPro sells a specific product Reload for that;
OptiCoat is said to not work well with a topper but I have read of people using Reload on it.

The coatings work for 1 to 2 years. I currently have OC2 on my daughters car, the acid test, as she rarely takes any care of it and washes always with whatever soap she has and the worst rag on the planet. Going on 6 months and if I wash it when she visits it comes very clean and looks good. No experience with Cquartz although I may buy a sample and coat my wheels with it. I top BFWD all the time on my cars.

Toppping is a personal preference and sometime hotly debated subject.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep

I ended up buying some opticoat. Haven't had a chance to polish and apply it but will let everyone know my impressions when I do
      11-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin420 View Post
@MuttGrunt
if im going to apply a sealant; cquartz or opticoat2.0, is it considered a waste if i top it off with carnauba wax after weeks or month? and then re-seal per-6 months? thanks
Sorry for the long delay - I didn't see your post.

I don't personally think of it as a waste. Clear-coat hit the market and people were told they no longer have to wax their cars. Now this comes out and people are being told the same thing. I don't see a reason to NOT make your car a little slicker and glossier.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin420 View Post
@MuttGrunt
Sorry for the long delay - I didn't see your post.

I don't personally think of it as a waste. Clear-coat hit the market and people were told they no longer have to wax their cars. Now this comes out and people are being told the same thing. I don't see a reason to NOT make your car a little slicker and glossier.
Polished and Put opti coat on my hood last night. Looks great but I'm scared I didn't use enough. Feels decent across the hood, but was real grabby when I was applying it with the foam applicatior. Got very few high spots too. Sound like im good to go
      11-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Polished and Put opti coat on my hood last night. Looks great but I'm scared I didn't use enough. Feels decent across the hood, but was real grabby when I was applying it with the foam applicatior. Got very few high spots too. Sound like im good to go
Good. I don't know if there's such thing as not using enough - you want this ultra thin. It'll never have the same feel as a freshly waxed or sealed vehicle, so keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good. I don't know if there's such thing as not using enough - you want this ultra thin. It'll never have the same feel as a freshly waxed or sealed vehicle, so keep that in mind.
This morning feels a lot better than I expected! Can't wait to do the rest of the car!