E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Noise after brake job w/ video

07-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Pocari
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Noise after brake job w/ video

I recently has my rotors and pads changed om my 2011 335i e92. Initially I thought it was a bedding issue but it's been a couple weeks with no improvement. I'm getting 2 types of noise

1. Constant buzzing sound. Definitely coming from rear, not sure about fronts. Please see video. Noise is present even without stepping on brakes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByE...w?usp=drivesdk

2. There's a "whooshing" sound when I step on the brakes. I'm not sure if it's just an amplified or related sound to the above issue.

Rotors are R1 dimpled/slotted and pads are ceramics. Centric posiquiet (fronts) and r1 (rears).

I've had the tech look at it and he seems to think it's the pads that are the culprit. R1 concept seems to agree and is sending me another set of pads to try. As I'm unfamiliar with changing my pads, I have to pay for installation again. Before I pay for installation costs to test these new pads, I was hoping someone may have experienced a similar noise or have any ideas what it could be.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Normal characteristic of slotted discs...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

You could try chamfering the leading edge of the pads to minimise their 'catching' of the sharp edges of the new slotted discs.

Some pad and disc combos just make a lot of noise. Hard pads are the worst and sliding calipers do it more than opposed piston calipers. I had the same problem with DBA discs on my Mazda. I ended up having to fit brass caliper bushings to stop the calipers drooping which was causing the pads to constantly catch the slots.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50