E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Help Replacing Crankshaft Sensor 07 328xi

04-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
willdee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 388ix

Help Replacing Crankshaft Sensor 07 328xi

Help Please. I bought the Bentley Publishing manual for the e90, but the instruction are not for the 328xi. I cannot reach the crankshaft sensor from beneath this car. I believe the best option is to remove the intake manifold, but I do not know how to do that. Any help on removing the intake manifold would be greatly appreciated. Please help.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
willdee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 388ix

Fixed it. Simply lifted the intake manifold and tilted it towards the front of the engine bay (I did not remove any wires connected to the intake manifold). That leaves enough space to reach the crankshaft sensor. For anyone trying to get to the Crankshaft sensor; this is what you will need:

1. E16 and E20 sockets to remove Strut Brace
2. E10 socket to remove sensor bolt
3. 11mm socket to remove intake manifold
4. Portable LED shop light
5. Some Extension bars for your sockets
6. Torque Wrench
7. Tools needed to remove the parts listed below. There are DIYs for removing those parts on this forum.

You will need to remove the engine cover, cabin microfilter, plastic cowl cover, and the power steering oil carrier.

If you own an ix model do not try to reach the sensor from beneath the car - waste of time!
Appreciate 0