E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Nice Car or Nice House?

View Poll Results: Nice Car or Nice House?
Nice Car 57 24.46%
Nice House 176 75.54%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

08-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #111
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
I bought my cars before buying a brand new house lol.. My father told me house prices will fall hard someday. When it did I finally jumped on it and got myself a decent deal. I think it's whatever you want first I guess. But do it while you're still young IMO.
      08-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #112
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I'm failing to see why people can't have both. Save up 20% down for a decent house. Get the house, then borrow against it for car. It's not like you have to save up 10s of thousands for a house AND save up 10s of thousands for a nice car.

That being said, Once I was out of school and had stable income, I bought a nice car first, paid it off as fast as I could, then bought a condo, then upgraded to a house, then bought a second, newer nice car (as in I still have both cars).

I understand that it's going to different for everybody. Generally speaking though, if the goal is to have nice car(s) and nice house(s) by middle age, FOCUS ON THE HOUSE. If you're okay with driving a nice car and renting an apartment for your whole life, theres nothing wrong with that as long as you know you're pissing your money away just to be able to drive a nice car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #113
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

I say both.

Say your budget is $600,000:

Don't buy a $400,000 house and a Ferrari.
Don't buy a $600,000 house and a used Hyundai.
Buy a $500,000 house and a nice BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #114
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

Why not nice house and nice car at the same time?

In all seriousness: Nice house/condo, because it can become a source of income, and it's nice knowing that you own a place you can call home.

Edit: didn't see the post above me, he makes a good point
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #115
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Low Key got it right lol

theyh8n: seriously...?

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #116
TheyH8n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
Are you 12? You have no clue what marriage is, do you?
25 with nice car and nice house (which I've worked hard for) which is relevant to this thread. Stuff ive worked too hard for half of it to be taken someday. Look at divorce rates, not saying its bad. Just be the exception and TRY to make it for the long haul. Different strokes for different folks. I have a GF of 3+ years whats mine is mine whats hers is hers. She lives with me in MY house. Although in CA doesnt matter if shes my wife or not after living together for 5 years its still half hers, which I will take care of when the time is right. Shes the last person in the world to do/try anything like that. But thats what they all say until shit goes down
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #117
mkjeong
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i

I just bought a used 328 and drive that every weekend for a house hunting. Well houses are not so expensive here in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #118
inline6ix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Green E90 325i

Garage List
I would take a nice car first because it's much less of an investment and I can't risk being seen in a Civic until I can afford my house

Of course, I technically do have a nice car, but I bought it used for less than the price that alot of econoboxes are brand new.

On the other hand, not having a house with a garage sucks. But a car cover negates that.
      02-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #119
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
Someone once told me buying a car straight out of college is the worst possible financial decision that you can make in life. I've seen people in the 20-30 range on here drive amazing cars, but still live in crappy apartments. Would you rather drive a junker and have a nice home that you own
You can't own a home. You can own a house, not a home. A home cannot be "owned". (Using the word "home" in this context is a rather silly marketing ploy used by the American "marketologists" to exploit the holes in the brains of some local lemmings. Please, do yourself a favor and don't sound like one of the latter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
or drive your Bimmer and live in a not so nice apartment? Obvious decision for me (the house) but does anyone disagree?
False dichotomy, as usual in such topics.

One can argue that if you live in a area where the price of 3-series BMW competes withe the price of a house, then you first priority would be to move to a better area. So, it is not about houses, apartments or BMWs. It is about "get the hell out of there and quickly!". Once you establish yourself in the new area, you'll have a wiser view of the world around you and thus will be able to make a more thoughtful decision.

And trust me, in a nice area the price of 3-series BMW does not compete with the price of a house. The price of 3-series BMW is essentially pocket money compared to the price of the house. I.e. the issue of "BMW vs. house" simply does not exist.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #120
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
False dichotomy, as usual in such topics.

One can argue that if you live in a area where the price of 3-series BMW competes withe the price of a house, then you first priority would be to move to a better area. So, it is not about houses, apartments or BMWs. It is about "get the hell out of there and quickly!". Once you establish yourself in the new area, you'll have a wiser view of the world around you and thus will be able to make a more thoughtful decision.

And trust me, in a nice area the price of 3-series BMW does not compete with the price of a house. The price of 3-series BMW is essentially pocket money compared to the price of the house. I.e. the issue of "BMW vs. house" simply does not exist.
I made this thread when I was bored one day last year. It was all hypothecial and for fun, like a "Would you rather" situation. Having said that, I agree with everything you wrote, I just didn't mean for this to be literal.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #121
Jewelzfive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Well I always said I wouldn't want to be pulling my nice ride up to my 2 bedroom apartment...to me it's all about priorities uk education, nice job, family, house etc. the material stuff comes later
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #122
Jewelzfive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelzfive
Well I always said I wouldn't want to be pulling my nice ride up to my 2 bedroom apartment...to me it's all about priorities uk education, nice job, family, house etc. the material stuff comes later
Just my opinion lol which don't really amount to much
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #123
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Old thread but since its already bumped i'd share my two cents.

I bought my car two years ago for my 22nd birthday. I still live with my parents. I work full time, and I am a full time sudent studying electrical engineering. Right now, I am enjoying life to the fullest with my bimmer. The day my girl and I are ready to move into a home, my car would most likely be paid for so I wont have my heavy payment anymore. So that being said, I would then be moving out and own a bimmer that is paid for.
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0