E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 1994 Ferrari 512TR

10-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Bulldawg23
Rep
Drives: 1999 Dinan M3

1994 Ferrari 512TR

I might have an opportunity to get a 512TR- at a good price. I know this vehicle is a classic. Does anybody have opinions about the vehicle? Driven it before?

It's tough to pinpoint a value on these exotic and rare vehicles. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

engine service is hugely expensive on the TRs; budget for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg23 View Post
I might have an opportunity to get a 512TR- at a good price. I know this vehicle is a classic. Does anybody have opinions about the vehicle? Driven it before?

It's tough to pinpoint a value on these exotic and rare vehicles. Any suggestions?
Even if they are not that 'good' I like that car. I have looked into them a little bit, the 512TR was a 1994 and 1995 only, the 1995 has ABS. Either way the steering wheel is positioned like that of a tractor. I would cruise all the normal online shopping sites looking for comps to see what one is currently worth, there are not a ton of them out there. The 512 TR is my favorite of the Modern Testarossas
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

I've looked into them as well. It's one of my favorite Ferraris but like has been said, you really have to budget for maintenance. Get a PPI for sure and if possible, get one that had the cam belts recently changed (you have to pull the engine completely to replace those... and it's pretty damn expensive, even for a Ferrari) and definitely check the rear end differential carrier. It's kinda a known issue and if it goes, you'll be out at least $20K. Just take your time looking and have fun with it when you find it. F-cars love to be driven HARD and the more you do that and the better you take care of it, the more reliable it'll be.
      10-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

A 512TR would have to be in very good shape to go above $80K - IMO. The rear transaxle et al were upgraded during production on the TR, (don't remember VIN off top of my head) they are not as susceptible to "exploding" as the Testarossas. Driving position is very Italian i.e. long arms; short legs; pedal box almost situated to center of car. A TR is a GT type of vehicle, it is not a happy city car. As mentioned, pulling the engine for a major service every three years is standard maintenance - can be an easy $10K. Which is why a PPI is imperative, fixing deferred maintenance can cause bankruptcy.

Electrics can be suspect, but the engine itself is considered bulletproof - it is basically a tuned down version of Ferrari F1 engines of the late 60's / early 70's.

Buyers' guide: http://www.red-headed.com

Honestly, if you wanted a Ferrari in the $80K price range, either a F360 V8 or F550 V12. Both cars are known to be the most reliable of the modern era Ferraris. Testarossas are my favorite, but I would only consider one as a 2nd Ferrari. A F360/430 or F550/575 would be my primary.