E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > End-All xi Performance Suspension Thread

07-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #67
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
Can you please let us in on this secret? I'm trying to decide what to do about my suspension now that the bilstens are back in stock at bavauto. Thanks
I can't say too much, since I don't speak for the company. The latest email that I received was that they had just coordinated a car for test fitment and that the sales staff was discussing with the business owner about a run.

Here are some details that I can say:

-height/single-adjustable (externally)
-choice of spring rates
-koni struts/shocks
-racing pedigree
-price competitive with AST 4100's

My guess is that it might still be a couple months.

I'm anxious, too!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #68
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

ground control? the ast's are expensive, i hope they are MUCH cheaper
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #69
CH Luke
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 4 dr

Agree - AST's seem the best option but they are too beau coup. Understand that's a function of smaller potential market and upscale target. Would love to see $500 less and/or less "controlled" pricing, especially for something that is basically mail order.
It only makes sense to pay top dollar to the guys that do the research and actually put their hands on my car. In other words, why pay retail to what is basically a middle man that is hundreds of miles away from my car?
$13-1500 for coilover's and springs should cover a manufacturer and some R&D. A couple hundred for the middle guy. Sign me up.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #70
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

I think AST's are a bargain. I paid less than $2000 for mine, and got a discount on my vorshlag plates when i ordered them together. But where they earn their price is performance, well, that and the fact that they can be rebuilt. The V1's, ST's, H&R's and maybe some others cannot be. So if you blow them out, or they leak, you are toast, you need an entirely new shock- at what $200-$400, versus a $50 repair. Try to go cheap here and you will just end up paying more in the end, and get an inferior product.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #71
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep

Let me preface this post by saying that I am not affiliated with any shop or retailer. I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. I just want to make sure people spend their money wisely.

There are no single adjustable coilovers on the market in the $1300-1500 range for e90's. None. If you think it is a "BMW tax", you are probably partially right. But, if you look at KW for Evos, you'll see the price isn't much different. It is more likely due to the fact that R&D at this level is very expensive and also risky (who know how many units they'll sell in this economy?).

If $1300-1500 is your absolute limit, then no worries. I respect that. I'm positive that eibachs, bilsteins, and an m3 rear bar will bring years of smiles. However, if you are in a position to save up some more scratch and wait a couple more months for the much better option, whats the hurry?

Additionally, this isn't some "middleman" that you're dealing with. You are dealing with a supplier that has been very willing to meet the demand of the xi owners by custom fabricating a coilover system. They also have a legacy of winning on the track. Some other companies have a history of guesstimating, but this is not the case. The wait is due solely to the company demands of high fit & finish. Read up on the history of how started AST producing xi 4100's...

But, none of this is worth getting worked up over -- I still have no idea on price or further details.

I honestly, can't wait for this. If there is one place to put money into your BMW, its the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #72
CH Luke
Rep

Ultra:
The only price I had seen for AST4100's with springs was $2350. Plus the plates. Plus installing them or having them installed. So pushing $3000 all in. The under $2000 you reference (including springs)plus plates is getting more reasonable, especially with a deal on the plates. Where was that at?

Doyle:
To be clear I was not inferring that you were a "middle man". I did mean to infer that I am very appreciative of the time you devoted and information you have brought to this post. It's not like there is a chance to try our cars with the equipment we are talking about and based on the info I've been able to glean the AST's do seem to be the best available.

The only "rush" has to due with the relatively short season here in Michigan. You are correct again though that the wait also coincides with more time to save to do it right.

Last edited by CH Luke; 07-28-2011 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #73
blbrchnk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335xi

How much benefit would someone that really only sees spirited driving on the back roads get out of these higher level coilovers when compared to the eibachs/bilsteins?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #74
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Luke View Post
Ultra:
The only price I had seen for AST4100's with springs was $2350. Plus the plates. Plus installing them or ha ving them installed. So pushing $3000 all in. The under $2000 you reference (including springs)plus plates is getting more reasonable, especially with a deal on the plates. Where was that at?

I bought them at the beginning of the year. I just looked on Vorshlag, you can get the 4100's, springs and plates for $2478. They have gone up a bit since I purchased them. I did not have to pay for shipping (they are local). I had Cobb do the install which was pretty cheap as well. $3k is definitely close to what I paid all in though.

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=1_79_170
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #75
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Luke View Post
Ultra:
The only price I had seen for AST4100's with springs was $2350. Plus the plates. Plus installing them or ha ving them installed. So pushing $3000 all in. The under $2000 you reference (including springs)plus plates is getting more reasonable, especially with a deal on the plates. Where was that at?

Doyle:
To be clear I was not inferring that you were a "middle man". I did mean to infer that I am very appreciative of the time you devoted and information you have brought to this post. It's not like there is a chance to try our cars with the equipment we are talking about and based on the info I've been able to glean the AST's do seem to be the best available.

The only "rush" has to due with the relatively short season here in Michigan. You are correct again though that the wait also coincides with more time to save to do it right.
No worries. I just want to make sure that everyone knows that the product I'm discussing is being completely custom made and is actually being test fit before any of you guys get them. It will be a smoking deal for the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #76
PDS
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

I'm getting impatient too So I did some research myself and see Koni now make shocks for the xi http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search

Can't wait for the details
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #77
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post
I'm getting impatient too So I did some research myself and see Koni now make shocks for the xi http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search

Can't wait for the details
Unfortunately this has already been discussed and the conclusion was that koni usa has no intentions of selling these. If you click that link you will see only the rears are available because that is what the rwd cars use

Last edited by kdiggz; 07-18-2011 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #78
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
Unfortunately this has already been discussed and the conclusion was that koni usa has no intentions of selling these. If you click that link you will see only the rears are available because that is what the rwd cars use
Depends who you ask
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #79
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Depends who you ask
ahhhhhhh tell me what u knowwww!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #80
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

The information you've given Doyle sounds great, but it is a concern when you put down most brands and then immediately promise a new and improved brand coming soon. ("Most brands suck except for this one I'm involved with") However, I still look forward to reading what you've managed to work out, or have heard about, coming in the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #81
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep

It's not that most brands suck, it is just what is offered for the xi pales in comparison to what the i's have. It almost seems like the suspension companies handled this platform as an after thought.

The issue comes down to price. If you are looking to lower your car, Bilsteins & H&R/Eibachs are great options. If you are looking into coilovers (c/o), then I feel like if you are getting ready to spend $2k+, you should be getting your money's worth.

My first preference, still, is custom valved/sleeved Bilstein inserts with Hyperco/Swift springs. Unfortunately when I contacted Bilstein they said they weren't interested.

The next choice was a PSS9/10 setup with linear rate springs. Again, no dice.

After that I contacted H&R and they were game to convert the xi c/o to more appropriate linear race springs. However, all of their revalving services have to be performed in Germany, so that priced them out of the game.

I then contacted some high-profile Evo/Sti shops to see if they could finesse the xi KW V1's similar to how they handle the c/o's for the "steevo" platforms. No reply.

I then asked my shop (who campaigns an e90 328i and an M3 in the conti series) if they would help me out. They looked into mocking up a stock shock body with Ohlins internals and a threaded sleeve. The costs, again, started to pile up. It got the point where they said it was more reasonable to custom order a set of Penskes (for $5k+...no way). I inquired about their thoughts on the AST's, but they mentioned that they have had some fitment and quality issues. However, when they work, they are outstanding. They then referred me to the company I'm dealing with, now.

So, as you can see I've tried just about every path and this is really the only viable one.

I received an email Friday saying that test fitments have been completed and that they were close to completion.

I'm not trying to sell you guys anything, I just want the xi community to finally have a great suspension option.

Last edited by Doyle; 07-24-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #82
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep

I just updated the first post to include more info and detail.

Let me know if it is of any help for you guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #83
CH Luke
Rep

Sticky.
Lot of good work here. Great resource - perfect starting place for anyone looking to improve handling capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #84
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Great info, thanks to doyle and others who contributed.
A couple questions:

1)does anyone have a handle on how much the performance springs/bilstein
sportshock combo will lower an xi?

2) if one were going to change out dampers and springs, what other specific componants, bushings, etc, should be changed out at the same time to save labor costs? And are there specific mfg recomendations?

3) is it critical to change rear sway bar as well, or would most street driven vehicles be fine stopping at dampers and springs?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #85
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Next week will change out to bilstein sport shocks and Eibach springs and UUC sway bars front and rear. I will measure before and after for ride height. Labor $690 + $130 alignment.
Also putting in M3 subframe bushings and will add the rear sway bar b/c you have to drop the subframe anyway too install it. Labor $700 for bushings and sway bar.

Last edited by CobraMarty; 07-29-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #86
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas View Post
Great info, thanks to doyle and others who contributed.
A couple questions:

1)does anyone have a handle on how much the performance springs/bilstein
sportshock combo will lower an xi?

2) if one were going to change out dampers and springs, what other specific componants, bushings, etc, should be changed out at the same time to save labor costs? And are there specific mfg recomendations?

3) is it critical to change rear sway bar as well, or would most street driven vehicles be fine stopping at dampers and springs?
1) I believe the rear drop would be the same as the RWD and the front will a little higher. While not visually ideal, from a reliability and performance standpoint this is fine.

2) It depends on the age and mileage of your car. At somepoint the bushings will have to be replaced. But if you aren't tracking it and you're under 60-80k miles, you should be fine. There is no hurry, just replace them when the old ones are worn.

3) Totally up to you. As CobraMarty showed, it is an expensive proposition to replace the rear bar. I'd do springs/shocks first, and if you want a little "sportier" ride, then you can look at replacing the rear bar. But, while you're under there replace the rear subframe bushings to save on labor costs.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #87
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Thanks for the input guys. So, it should end up at about the height of a 335i?or would it be at the height of a 335i on performance springs? What is the height differnce between an i and an xi?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #88
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List

Appreciate 0