E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Detailed my 320d M

05-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
Shane.
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrez View Post
I have some pics on my profile here
Why would tuning box worry you ? Remap would worry me lol. Tuning box is the best choice - you can take it off the car in 5-10 mins and no problems at all with MOT or sale of the car. The remap will be there forever...

Hey, beauty she is
Thanks, yes we both have the same beatiful exhausts

Regards,

Mat.
It bothers me because its just bolt on. A remap is tuned to the car.

You didn't say in this post why would a remap effect the MOT?

Regards to being there forever it could easily be removed. Why would you remove it when you have more power and better MPG due to having a correctly tuned engine
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
You do know that a remap has no bearing on passing an MOT don't you? It's not like you fail an MOT for having a remap.

A good remap (and there are lots of good ones) is better than any tuning box - most tuning boxes only increase fuel pressure - its not the best way to make more power. The reasons why a remap is better has been done to death, suffice to say the only reason to get a tuning box is if you have warranty and you don't want BMW knowing you have tinkered with the car or for whatever reason, you don't want a permanent change. Even tuning box manufacturers will tell you that a remap is the better option in terms of power/drive-ability.
I do not agree that a remap will give you more power in case of 2006 320d shane has. I have a tuning box and the torque is 440Nm. Which remap will give more ? There is nothing like it. The tuning box can connect to Rail sensor, boost sensor and crank sensor etc... That gives your car max Nm figure. Ive been looking for remaps and the best I found was 425Nm from MV-Sport (it was DPI system actually - better than remap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -shane- View Post
It bothers me because its just bolt on. A remap is tuned to the car.

You didn't say in this post why would a remap effect the MOT?

Regards to being there forever it could easily be removed. Why would you remove it when you have more power and better MPG due to having a correctly tuned engine
More power in your 320d with no DPF will mean more smoke coming out of the exhaust so you will not pass MOT in this aspect. Also insurance will go up as having more powerful car means you can crash faster etc...

Example on 320d 163BHP with BCS exhaust I was talking about :

The guys runs remap and there is a lot of smoke

Before MOT I am taking box out in 5 mins and pass it
      05-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #25
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

My 320d is remapped, no DPF and it never smokes.

Tuning box's can give figures all day, that's not to say they actually deliver.

Bottom line is no generic device which 'lies' to the car to make it create more boost is going to give a great driving experience. Tuning boxes were never brought out to compete with remapping, they are quick and dirty alternative for people who can't permanently alter their vehicle.

After driving a car with a box, then the same car remapped, no one would ever say the box drives better.

Like I say, it's been done death - there is no question that remapping is the superior way to increase power. It's just not possible for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Just to add, a remapper can ( if he knows what he's doing) make massive figures if he so chooses but will admit that to do so will be unsafe. If you insist they will do it though and allow you to find out the hard way why they remap to a certain figure and no higher.

With an eBay resistor mod, I could probably get 460nm but doubt it would be sensible to do so…
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

With my DTUK box there is no smoke at all and its safe as reading the reviews. Boxes are more expensive than remaps, the one I ave is around £400 from DTUK - its CRD-T box, one of the finest choices out there with 4 maps on it you can switch and alter the power etc. I am on +10% now and could go to +30% but I have enought of the power and wouldnt like to risk anything anyway so Ill leave it like that.