E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New member :-)

11-13-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

New member :-)

Well as the title suggests I haven't been round here for very long but joined up to do a but of research before I purchased a 330d and I must say there is a good bunch of regulars here who are very helpful.
So a but of info about my past cars before I get to my new car :-)
I've always been a fwd man myself and have never been drawn by the rwd cars and I thinks that's due to the scare stories about wet weather handling and snow and I've but
I digress so my recent car history has consisted of 2 Leon cupras 1 cupra r an integra dc5 a very short fling with a megane r26 then my last car a golf gt tsi.
So as you can see sort of similar cars in that there fairly fast hot hatches.
So on to my current car which I had to drive 300 miles to collect and I have to say first impressions are very good, now I'm not sure exactly what spec it has so I'll tell you what I can see and you might be able to point out something I've missed.
So the car is a late 2005 E90 330d se with 75k leather I drive it does have the sos button so does that mean it has telematics and if so how much is this and is it worth it.
Something else I've noticed is it has a semi sporty steering wheel ie not like the basic ones I've seen on some can you tell me why some have this please.
So after 4 days how is my introduction to rwd going well pretty well and I its not as trail happy so was expecting and the first thing I noticed and was very surprised at was how petrol like the engine is in its driving ie you can potter along at low revs and it doesn't struggle like most other dervs would.
Now my car came with a dtuk tuning box on so it goes like a train and is probably the fastest car I've owned but is also the best on fuel :-)
Now I did take the box of because I think I will enjoy the car more if I ease myself in gently and I have to say I was worried that the car wouldn't be as good without it but it is more than adequate in std form.
I will post some pics in a week our so when I get it clean a although it looks clean its not CLEAN if you know what I mean.
I have a couple of questions if some one can answer then please the first is I need tyres on the back and they are 255 40 17 now can I put the smaller size on and also what is the best all weather Tyre ie decent in the snow and ok in the dry.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

turn traction control off and then it becomes a slipperly one ;-)

Welcome by the way! I have a 330d M Sport too, lovely cars, great engines!

Good idea with taking the box off to get used to the car as it came out the factory, safest way, and a good way of appreciating what you have, and it means you know that when you crave more power you have it tucked away ready to go on!
      11-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So has anybody got any suggestions regards a good all weather Tyre one that will cope
well with the snow but is also ok in the dry.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytc78 View Post
So has anybody got any suggestions regards a good all weather Tyre one that will cope
Oh god here we go again, RUN!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Im running the falkens at the moment, only had them a week so cant really tell you if they will be any good! (not really been snowing, or dry for that fact since i had them on)

But it doesnt seem that bad when making progress now theyve been scrubbed in!
      11-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelSol View Post
Quote:
Oh god here we go again, RUN!
Welcome mate,I'm sure you will enjoy your car-you've bought a great all-rounder!
The great BMW tyre debate is a continuous one,hence the above reply(I think!) and one that rears its head especially near to winter.
The general concensus seems to be that you won't get an all weather tyre that will cope properly with snow and the associated conditions as well as a proper "winter" tyre.
I came from a scooby to a 335d and was worried about the rwd and snow mix,so budgeted for a set of winter wheels and tyres.
Which tyre?,there are plenty and I would search the forum as this has also been debated,but it's down to your preference and budget.
I bought a set of extra MV3's and some vredestein wintrac extreme tyres-they didn't put a foot wrong and well worth the investment!
As you're running 17's and if the funds allow,why not upgrade and buy some 18's or 19's with new rubber and use the 17's for winter with some winter tyres?
If you do decide on winter tyres,buy now as prices this year have shot up from last and they are a rare commodity come November and December...
Oh and make sure you have decent screen wash as the headlight washers tend to freeze causing the covers to fly off!
Re your steering wheel,post pics and someone will let you know.
I think that the difference in steering wheels is a that the standard one is 375mm and is all black with multifunction buttons.
The 255 optional multifunction wheel has chrome inlays and is 369mm.
The M sport has the badging and no chrome inlay or on a 335 auto,has paddles.
The 999 bmw assist button is free for 3 years,subscription after...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #7
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
All weather tyres are rubbish. The worst of both worlds.

Get yourself some winters and spare alloys: Or alternatively some good summers and don't drive if it snows. Just don't go for all season!
      11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok what size tyre can i go down to on the back as i don't see the point in fitting 255's on the back for winter would i be ok to put the same size all round or would 235's be better on the back?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Are the wheels staggered?!

Is she m sport or SE, sounds like SE with 17" but they did do a 17"Msport wheel.
      11-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

4 cylinder M sport E90 and E91's we're fitted with 17 inchers as std.

Sorry Carlos, didn't read your post properly, initially thought you were asking a question, now I know you were stating the same as me!

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:06 AM   #11
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This the same wheel as mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2509283666...84.m1423.l2649
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A bit late I know but some pictures from the other day.
I've had the car detailed so It's in great nick but will post a couple of pics now and some more later when I've uploaded them.